How much more effort is required in ext 2 maths compared to ext 1? (1 Viewer)

...xD

HSC
We got our ext math marks back today and I did kinda bad. I asked my teacher whether I should even try 4u and she was like 'probably not...'

Help am I the only person begging my mum to let me go tutoring I'm dying in everything I'm not going to live up to the asian expectation of doing 4u maths. She was a self taught legend and thinks that going tutoring will only waste time that could be used to complete homework.

Fr my parents dont let me do anything no hobbies, no outings, nothing. They 'put no expectations on me' but look so disappointed everytime i walk out of my room and do something thats not studying for more than 5 mins. I end up binging on youtube/ gaming in my room.

At this point im antisocial and have bad grades like idk may be my own issue.

Sorry for the long rant but please help.

carrotsss

HSC
You parents restricting you from hobbies is definitely not a good thing, it’s not realistic nor productive to study 24/7, you have to still have some hobbies.

Not everyone will agree with this but in my opinion doing 4u is about an extra unit worth of effort - 4u definitely takes up more time on its own than you’d expect but you’ll find yourself doing better in advanced/3u with less effort so it sorta balances out. It’s hard to say without your ext 1 prelim mark but if you’re doing bad in 3u you will definitely have to put in a lot more work if you want to do well in 4u - if you end up taking it, I’d recommend staying on 11 units at least as a backup so you can drop 4u if it doesn’t work out.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
We got our ext math marks back today and I did kinda bad. I asked my teacher whether I should even try 4u and she was like 'probably not...'

Help am I the only person begging my mum to let me go tutoring I'm dying in everything I'm not going to live up to the asian expectation of doing 4u maths. She was a self taught legend and thinks that going tutoring will only waste time that could be used to complete homework.

Fr my parents dont let me do anything no hobbies, no outings, nothing. They 'put no expectations on me' but look so disappointed everytime i walk out of my room and do something thats not studying for more than 5 mins. I end up binging on youtube/ gaming in my room.

4u is amazing if you push yourself to actually put the effort into it

I reckon give it a go, there's no harm in dropping if it gets too hard

as @carrotsss said, take 11units with 4u so you can drop if it's too much

windows64

HSC

we are the same person 🤭🤭🤭

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

do it if u want to not becayse of asian expectations. then all of the above thing ppl have said applies.

SamDavisEnjoyer420

HSC
fool your parents bro my asian mum thinks i’m top in advanced english but i dropped to standard 2 terms ago

omg that is horrible, it’s expected that you would be burnt out of studying because not even having hobbies or a social life is crazy. your priority should be to do activities completely unrelated to school to recharge, but with such strict parents im not sure how you would tackle that. hope your parents loosen up a little man :(

...xD

HSC
4u is amazing if you push yourself to actually put the effort into it

I reckon give it a go, there's no harm in dropping if it gets too hard

as @carrotsss said, take 11units with 4u so you can drop if it's too much
Yeah Ill probably do that for a bit. 14 units gonna be a lot but at least i wont have regrets

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

Everyone's different.

Extension 2 **generally** is a challenge for most students' in embracing the nature of the course in that it demands perseverance in learning and accepting that simple grind =/ 100%. You do not need to be a math prodigy or "cracked" to do well in the course, and you will most likely see the benefits more than those people.

If you are smart and learn how to optimise your time allocation with Ext. 2, it is more than doable to get a very strong mark in the course, and it is one of those RARE HSC subjects which really does reward your effort.

It mimics your first year courses in that it is mostly self-driven as your Ext. 2 classes will be small (unless you're in the top schools) and the content is not as easily understandable requiring you to do your own dilligence (youtube, tuition, course notes, self teaching). If you are willing to acknowledge that this is something you will have to devote yourself to and accept you might not do as well as you want to at this stage, you will be more than fine EVEN if you are mediocre at extension.

If you're not willing to put that much effort and do want to do other stuff (which is respectable), I'd suggest not doing it, but if you do want to go that extra step, I would dare-say that it'd be foolish not picking this up since IMO this really contributed to my ATAR directly and indirectly as it was a course I didn't study a lot in the HSC (giving me more time for english which rounded out my subjects).

Note to this,

If you're doing an engineering degree, CS degree or anything which requires first year maths. You will thank me if you hang onto Ext. 2, the amount of times pre-requisite knowledge has cut down on hours of learning in Uni. was invaluable. You have a chance to spend 1 year on content which will be covered in ~1-2 weeks.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

Second part to this ignoring the maths:

Our parents may be different culturally but most likely they both had high expectations. My mother whilst expecting me to do the best possible would trust me to be independent, however this came as a result of me doing well in my cohort. Even when I had hiccups in terms of studies, my mother would trust that I would be able to recover by myself since I made it clear I wanted to do excel.

I can not say your parents will think the same way but rather if you are lacking in academics, understand its from their goodwill/desperation to push you back to your potential. Try making some sacrifices such as not watching/gaming as much and studying more etc. to show you are capable of self-study and YOU recognise you have the potential to succeed.

From your post (though I do not know), it feels defeatist in the sense you're thinking about "how much extra effort do I need to put" rather than "will this be more beneficial for me at this stage" and "you are begging for tutoring", "antisocial" etc. so it seems you need to recontemplate where you are as a student (your mental health, what you really want to do, do you care about a "HIGH ATAR" [overrated imo]).

Try something different in your studies and involve your mother in your progress so she can be more understanding if you really do need tutoring since I am sure she will oblige to someone who is dedicated and self driven.

Mostly, parents' dont put their kids in tutoring if they're not interested or to avoid them from becoming dependent (WHICH IS EXTREMELY SMART/GOOD ESP. FOR UNI LOL BASED MOTHER) but if you show that "Hey, I'm doing all I can and I think if I had someone to just push me a bit more, I'll do just that much more" and prove it, you will get more empathy.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
yeah above is rlly good advice you just need to reframe how you approach her about tutoring to show ur independent- as wanting to get extra support to do that much better is usually something only dedicated people would do; if anything the parents that push their children into tutoring usually raise the dependent ones.
Idk if this would work but you could use those expectations to motivate yourself to work harder and not procrastinate? Although not sure if this will work since idt my parents will care if i get a 70 atar and yet im drowning in my own expectations so idk

but i advice against 14 units lol thats just too much for you too see a lot of improvement if u do that much realistically since u are struggling and will likely just pressure u more

helloworld!

HSC

Hello!
That's a really sticky situation to be in. I hope you find a solution.
Here are my two cents; do you need 4u for your university course? If not, then I believe 3u is your best bet. However, if you do need 4u for your university course, then it is best to give it a shot and give it your all. From what I have heard, 4u is an extremely daunting yet just as rewarding experience. If you have the determination to do well in it, you absolutely can do it!
Having hobbies and a social life is extremely important as well. How about meeting up with your friends on the weekends/afterschool for a start?
Remember, take it easy If your uni really needs it, go for it. Just don't have any regrets about not trying hard enough.
Good luck! You got this!

- helloworld!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)