How much of what is taught in year 11 transfers over to year 12? (1 Viewer)

dom_c

HSC
I'm planning on keeping IPT for next year but I haven't really been paying attention in class owing to having the most boring teacher in existence. So I was wondering how much of the content taught in year 11 carries over to year 12 and will it be hard to catch up?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The Information Processes and Technology HSC course comprises a total of 7 topics, from which 5 topics (consisting of 3 main topics and 2 out of 4 option topics) must be studied. The main topics are as follows:
  • Project Management
  • Information Systems and Databases
  • Communication Systems
The option topics (the technical term for which is Option Strands) are as follows:
  • Transaction Processing Systems
  • Decision Support Systems
  • Automated Manufacturing Systems
  • Multimedia Systems
Each topic from the HSC course explores its own unique set of concepts. For example, the Communication Systems explores concepts such as protocols while the Multimedia Systems topic explores concepts such as bit depth, pixels and resolution. While the focus will mainly be on the specific concepts of the respective topics, there are a few elements explored throughout the Preliminary course that are relevant to the HSC course. Such elements include:
  • Social and ethical issues
  • Information processes
  • Software and hardware
Some questions may incorporate multiple elements originating from the Preliminary course. Consider Question 28(e) from the 2021 IPT HSC exam:

"A multimedia system is to be developed which will allow users to upload television and radio programs, podcasts, movies and music to share with other users.

Analyse this multimedia system in terms of technical and ethical issues and the information process of storing and retrieving."

On the other hand, calculations and conversions that you might have studied in year 11 (such as decimal to binary) are not assessed as part of the HSC course and were not included in the HSC exam I sat back when I did my HSC (or any other HSC exam paper for that matter).

Lastly, provided you are determined to gain a good understanding of the content and perform well in IPT overall by maintaining your diligence throughout year 12, you can definitely catch up and hopefully excel in this subject.

I hope this helps! :D

TheGrindNeverStops

HSC
Adding on, calculation may be useful in SDD (if you happen to take it) and the information processes are done again in more depth during yr 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)