How much practical work is in uni? (1 Viewer)

swaghili

HSC
I really enjoy working with my hands and taking apart/building things (favourite subject was Dt but our school didn't offer it to seniors...)
So how much hands on work would be in a degree like electrical or mechatronic (outside of joining clubs)?
Some people at unsw open day said it was 50/50 but didn't really expand on it...

any help would be appreciated :)

D94

HSC
N/A
Is this really a deciding point? Engineering at university, regardless of whichever, is mainly theoretical, as it should be. If there are practical components, they are there to complement the theory, not to replace the theory.

Flop21

HSC
I hope someone can maybe expand more for you, specifically for elect and mech.

I do comp sci, and in our labs is where we do practical work (for comp it's programming). Obviously in lectures they just talk. Tutorials you may, in comp we sometimes try things our tutor is talking about. My current comp lab is 2 hours.

For science it's the same, chem (2h) and biology (3h) you do all practical work in labs which are experiments.

-

Also, there are a lot of societies that will let you do a lot more hands on work. There's all the eng ones like sunswift, bluesat. Then there's create, and there's also the micheal crouch innovation centre which is a room/area that has workstations to build things, lots of 3D printers, laser cutter, soldering stuff, and all that cool stuff to make things pretty much.

swaghili

HSC
Is this really a deciding point? Engineering at university, regardless of whichever, is mainly theoretical, as it should be. If there are practical components, they are there to complement the theory, not to replace the theory.
It's not really a deciding point since I'm pretty set on engineering, but it'll be the difference between me grinding through for 5 years and me kind of enjoying it for 5 years.
So it's nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)