how much should students have to work? (1 Viewer)

how many hours do you think is reasonable?

• none - concentrate fully on your studies and bludge off your parents

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • 1 - 10

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • 10 - 20

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • 20 - 30

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 30+

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hahaha well my hands/other body parts bleed pretty often mate, i'm always getting cut or burnt or something :p right now i have this weird rash on my wrist which appeared after i scraped the ice out of the fish case; wtf how can you be allergic to ice? (ie COLD WATER).

i feel really bad for complaining when hearing about people like pottsy, but the other thing i have to keep in mind i guess is that there's health issues on my end as well, ie i'm epileptic which is triggered by stress and lack of sleep. i'm on muscle relaxants to control it which means i'm doped up all the time and get tired v easily. like if i didn't have that issue as well then i think it would be a lot easier.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i usually work around 20 hours a week, wouldnt mind more but 20 is pretty sweet. its enough for my weekly expenses thats for sure.

who can get me discounts at their work? glycerine? :p

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
However much you can handle. That said, if you decide not to work, don't complain about never having any money...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Make sure you work the optimal amount if you want to receive Youth Allowance. :eek:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Argonaut said:
Could be a reaction to the fish scales or something. I was always getting burnt on the wrapping machine to begin with because I wasn't fast enough.

But I had to take a week off when my left arm and side were exposed to something. We're still not sure what; we think it was some kind of chemical burn, we have no idea where or how I got it, but my entire left side broke out in blisters. Summer was an absolute bummer as most of my arm and chest are scarred. It was only light, but extensive and it only started to become less noticeable about two or three months back. It's almost indistinguishable now, thank the stars.
ahh that sucks.
i have fetta rash :(

Collin

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't have to put a figure on it, because the issue of 'how many hours students should work' isn't sufficiently black and white to simply label an objective figure. It may depend on the degree they're doing, the workload of their uni, the threshold of minimum social outings, the travel times to work, the level of labour involved with the job.. etc. Many factors. To some students, 15 hours would be hard due to their personal circumstances, whilst others may survive with 38 hours standard full-time. It just all depends.

Edit: Personally for me, I wouldn't wanna do any more than 28 hours/wk, because it takes me so long to get to work already, and with me aiming for HDs, I wanna study alot too.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Is it just me or does it seem that most science-based students (or people with a lot of contact hours--talking 20+ contact hours) don't have a job? It's interesting to see this. Not that I mind bludging off my parents--I don't complain about having no personal money either so it's ok.

Pace_T

HSC
my friend goes to uni for 4 days a week leaves home at 6 and gets back at 9:30-10. the other 3 days a week he works 30-40 hours in total!!! no free days i duno how he can do it omgg
right now im going to uni for 2 half days (parttime for now) and i work 8-20 hours a week and its sooo much for me i cant handle it :p

sarevok

HSC
lala2 said:
Is it just me or does it seem that most science-based students (or people with a lot of contact hours--talking 20+ contact hours) don't have a job? It's interesting to see this. Not that I mind bludging off my parents--I don't complain about having no personal money either so it's ok.
yep. i know a couple of science/law students and it would be impossible for them to work during semester. and the majority of science students whom i know don't work
i think around 10-20 hours is manageable

Skeeta

HSC
I was working about 20 hours a week. 25-30 contact hours at uni plus one client in the clinic (5 days at uni a week) and basically i was stuffed. My body just kind of gave up on me, i was overworked tired and irritable. I've now cut down to one shift a week which is much more manageable and everyone is happier because of it.

It was ridiculous i'd wake up and go to uni, or wake up and go to work, in the nights i'd do assessments and it gave me no time to study.. it was stupid i was earning all of this money and there was no reason for it because i had no time to spend it!

so yeah totallly depends on degree and ability to keep alive

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
If you're doing a full-time degree then the univesity expects you to put in 40 hours of study time per week (including contact and non-contact study).

Expecting a student who is studying 40 hours per week to worke even 10 hours is no different to expecting somebody who has a full-time job to work casually on weekend in my eyes.

So, I don't think students SHOULD have to work, invariably they do though...They SHOULD be able to survive off government welfare benefits or parental support in my opinion.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Well, I don't know whether the question is assuming we are living at home or whatever. I live at home and my parents take care of everything except my leisure expenses (going out money, clothes etc) so I only tutor for 5 hours a week for $100 weekly income. I know it's not alot for most but it's enough for me since I don't even pay for my weekly train ticket of $17 so I have plenty of money left over.

I know people who complain to me constantly that they're so exhausted from working and I live the easy life but they have it the same way as me in terms of parents providing it ALL but they bring it upon themselves to work like mad in order to fund their ridiculous lifestyles and weekly shopping sprees...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Baiku said:
If you're doing a full-time degree then the univesity expects you to put in 40 hours of study time per week (including contact and non-contact study).

Expecting a student who is studying 40 hours per week to worke even 10 hours is no different to expecting somebody who has a full-time job to work casually on weekend in my eyes.

So, I don't think students SHOULD have to work, invariably they do though...They SHOULD be able to survive off government welfare benefits or parental support in my opinion.
1. If you actually do 20 hours of independent study a week you're a douche.
2. 40 hours is 4 days worth of work, that leaves you with 3 to spare.

santaslayer

HSC
actually doing fulltime hours under a casual hourly rate...thsi is after my exams have finished..

yayy!

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
withoutaface said:
1. If you actually do 20 hours of independent study a week you're a douche.
2. 40 hours is 4 days worth of work, that leaves you with 3 to spare.
1. I have always understood the normal working day to be 9-5, which is a period of 8 hours.
9-10... 10-11... 11-12... 12-1... 1-2... 2-3... 3-4... 4-5.
Yup, that's 8 hours.
Monday to Friday is 5 days per week.

Maths
8 x 5 = 40 hours.

When you work full time you don't work on the weekends (usually). Most people require some time to maintain their personal affairs and perform non-work activities.

2. I do less than an hour of independent study per week, it doesn't make a difference how much you do, it's how much you are expected to do that is relavent for the purpose of the argument.

If I had a job where I sat at a computer all day and only applied myself for an hour, then so be it...

We all study as much or as little as suits us given the choice...

I don't see the point in busting my balls for $10-$15 per hour when I would anticipate earning $50k+ in a graduate position...

If I did need more money than I have access to (which I won't because I have a budget that covers my entire degree) I would be more inclined to borrow money than to get a job.

Skeeta

HSC
Baiku said:
2. I do less than an hour of independent study per week, it doesn't make a difference how much you do, it's how much you are expected to do that is relavent for the purpose of the argument.
it actually DOES make a difference

i have ~30 contact hours a week.

My lecturers have told me that for every contact hour, it requires another hour to compensate to fully prepare for the lecture material, review it and then do any assignments associated with it.

this makes my degree 60 hours a week (in theory)

no i dont do anywhere near this amount of work - and this is proabably why i'm going utterly horribly at uni at the moment

but yes this makes it alot harder for me to have a job (although i do) than people doing piddly degrees that have <10 contact hours and can support themselves by working 3-4 days a week

the expectations are ALOT different if you go to different faculties i think you will see

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
Skeeta said:
it actually DOES make a difference

i have ~30 contact hours a week.

My lecturers have told me that for every contact hour, it requires another hour to compensate to fully prepare for the lecture material, review it and then do any assignments associated with it.

this makes my degree 60 hours a week (in theory)

no i dont do anywhere near this amount of work - and this is proabably why i'm going utterly horribly at uni at the moment

but yes this makes it alot harder for me to have a job (although i do) than people doing piddly degrees that have <10 contact hours and can support themselves by working 3-4 days a week

the expectations are ALOT different if you go to different faculties i think you will see

Yeah I know what you mean. I found this really easy double degree with 12 contact hours per week... Law & Commerce...maybe you've heard of it?

sarevok

HSC
Baiku said:
I don't see the point in busting my balls for $10-$15 per hour when I would anticipate earning $50k+ in a graduate position...

If I did need more money than I have access to (which I won't because I have a budget that covers my entire degree) I would be more inclined to borrow money than to get a job.
but people don't only work for money, they work for the experience
a lot of employers i'm sure more respect students who balance work and study than those who don't
plus when you go out to look for a 'proper job' it helps to have a work-related reference with you
i think if you're not going to work during term you had better supplement with better grades and better extra-curricular activities in order to beat out those who do

edit: and what your lecturers tell you about how much you should be studying is invariably exaggerated bullshit...

Last edited:

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
sarevok said:
but people don't only work for money, they work for the experience
a lot of employers i'm sure more respect students who balance work and study than those who don't
plus when you go out to look for a 'proper job' it helps to have a work-related reference with you
i think if you're not going to work during term you had better supplement with better grades and better extra-curricular activities in order to beat out those who do

edit: and what your lecturers tell you about how much you should be studying is invariably exaggerated bullshit...
That's spot on. Work experience is the only reason I would consider getting a casual job.

However, I think vacation work is adequate...

HSC
N/A
Baiku said:
Yeah I know what you mean. I found this really easy double degree with 12 contact hours per week... Law & Commerce...maybe you've heard of it?
pwnd! lolz. :eek:

I worked 9 and a half hours today, i had to be up at 5.30 for a 9am shift. i refuse to work again until after exams :( It'll take me that long to recover. I forgot what real work felt like. Wah :(

*whine*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)