How much time should I allocate to each section? (1 Viewer)

GraPeOwO

HSC
I'm currently taking 50 minutes to write an answer to an unseen common module essay question. Will this leave me with enough time for the short response questions or do I need to remove some parts of my essay? im thinking of doing the short response questions first and basing it off that but i really dont know

shashysha

HSC
I'm currently taking 50 minutes to write an answer to an unseen common module essay question. Will this leave me with enough time for the short response questions or do I need to remove some parts of my essay? im thinking of doing the short response questions first and basing it off that but i really dont know
Well it should be 45/45 split between short answers and essay, so that leaves approximately 2 minutes and 15 seconds per mark. I think realistically you should finish the short answers in roughly 40 minutes (maybe stretch to 45 if they give us a weird ass text) and the rest on the essay. However, if you want to do essay first for some reason then I think you should try cut down a bit first, but I think it'd be wise to use the 10 minutes reading time to read the texts then immediately go to short answer instead of the doing the essay first

beetree1

HSC
50 and 40 is okay, I do that too. I feel like its easy to allocate time for the short answer too as theres 20marks, meaning you can do a 2 minutes per mark, allowing u to make sure u are not going over time

GraPeOwO

HSC
Well it should be 45/45 split between short answers and essay, so that leaves approximately 2 minutes and 15 seconds per mark. I think realistically you should finish the short answers in roughly 40 minutes (maybe stretch to 45 if they give us a weird ass text) and the rest on the essay. However, if you want to do essay first for some reason then I think you should try cut down a bit first, but I think it'd be wise to use the 10 minutes reading time to read the texts then immediately go to short answer instead of the doing the essay first
Yeah 2 minutes a mark should be fine for the short answers unless they give a 3 page text or a poem that is undecipherable lol

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
You also don't have to think of it in sections, you can do 2-3 SA questions that are very easy really quickly, go do your essay and then see from there if you have time to finish it all of/how in depth you can go. It depends on whether you're a student going for a B6 in english or if you need to squeeze as many marks out as possible to get a B3/4. The main difference here is that a B6 student knows how to answer everything and just needs time management whereas the B3 student needs to choose what will gain him most marks.

What I'm planning to do:
Reading time = understand essay question + think of how I'm going to answer it e.g what bodies will be about and what quotes to use
Writing time = 1. make scaffold for the essay 2. Start doing SA, if it's easy to do all of it but no matter what move on at 40 min. 3. Finish scaffold from stuff that came back to me as I was doing SA. 5. Write essay 6. If needed go back to SA

My goal is just to get a B3/4 tho and I'm relying on my other subjects to do well

GraPeOwO

HSC
Same here lmao. If english wasn't mandatory I wouldn't be here, why I chose advanced I'll never understand. I definitely think though that reading the essay question first and then reading the texts is the best idea since the essay question is in your mind and you can get a decent idea of what each text is talking about, then highlight the techniques as soon as writing time starts.
Jeez though paper 2 I still haven't written my mod B essay except my trial one.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Same here lmao. If english wasn't mandatory I wouldn't be here, why I chose advanced I'll never understand. I definitely think though that reading the essay question first and then reading the texts is the best idea since the essay question is in your mind and you can get a decent idea of what each text is talking about, then highlight the techniques as soon as writing time starts.
Jeez though paper 2 I still haven't written my mod B essay except my trial one.
I actually think the majority of ppl hate english so it's not that much of a disadvantage for us, even UNSW has an application scheme for engineering which is basically made to ignore english. I think we made the right choice of advanced because it is considered a hard subject and it aligns well even if you get trash marks which is likely (for me).

Good luck in ur exam tomorrow

GraPeOwO

HSC
I actually think the majority of ppl hate english so it's not that much of a disadvantage for us, even UNSW has an application scheme for engineering which is basically made to ignore english. I think we made the right choice of advanced because it is considered a hard subject and it aligns well even if you get trash marks which is likely (for me).

Good luck in ur exam tomorrow
Im sitting at like a 65 which i think scales down so hopefully i can get at least a 70 but anyways its just one exam. good luck to you too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)