How much to study in Hols? (1 Viewer)

Rob

i got 98.2 and did absolute nothing in summer hols

enjoy them!

Dan_the_man

10 hours a day fark come on man you need to spend some time outside or go visit some friends or do something else apart from study.... 10 hours of study a day is not the path to success

pri

HSC
N/A
come to think of it its not the HOURS you spend studying its the amount of work you actually get done in those hours,

eg 2 hours of maths study, but in reality most of it was spent daydreaming so in reality thats not really 2 hours just 10 min or so

but 2 hours of actual work like past papers or exercises is 2 hours well spent

its quality not quantity

asymptote

Originally posted by InfiniteQ
I want to get my half yearly study out of the way for the first few chapters we did in term 4 because it's hell trying to study for half yearlies during school time.

exactly...last term i cudnt study half of the time due to the assessments i had!

asymptote

Originally posted by natstar
You ppl are unbelivable! I would enjoy the summer holidays while you can and forget the crazy 10 hours of study you plan to do. That is pretty stupid unless you are the most biggest nerd in the world. You have all next year to study, and iv'e said before, the end of this year is all about fun. Next year is the year for the study, so relax and have fun these holidays

When i was in year 12, all i did during the summer holidays was do the assigned homework my teachers gave us to do.
This included reading my english text and making a log book for it
Researching ideas for my textile major work
Researching ideas for my art major work and writing in my art book

And if i was majorly bored out of my mind i read ahead a few chapters in my business text book.

So have fun and cut back on the study
if i dont get a UAI above 90 may be about 95 i wont have any aim to live...no future ....a disaster 4 me!

asymptote

Originally posted by MiKeY

I agree..

I'm doing Year 12 next year as well and I just can't believe these people doing 8-10 hours a day.
I personally don't believe it.. 10 hours a day every day? I wouldn't have enough things to study yet to last a week.

But hey.. if you want to absolutely ruin your last change of relaxing for a year.. lol.. go aheadddd.. :)

I'm not aiming for a UAI of >99.95 as you guys probably are.. lol
:)

im aiming arount 95 but i wudnt mind 99 with he amount of work i do! my teachers have reuested me to have rest!

pri

HSC
N/A
TAFE ..pfft..thats for ppl who didnt do the HSC at all or for ppl who got below 50 and literally cant do anything at Uni coz of it.

Seriously though Asymtote i suggest u take ur teachers advise and relax before u burn out before the game has begun.

Twintip

10 hours a day is rediculous. I'm going into year 12 and I've probably only done 10 hours in total! That includes wading my way through Emma (fuck that's a painful read). Seriously, go to the beach or something. At the moment, I'm only awake for 12 hours of the day so I'm kidding myself if I think I'm going to do more than a couple of hours studying. Mind you, I will probably get stuck into it in the last couple of weeks of holidays so everything is fresh for school (especially maths, I've forgotten it all!).

I'm doing:
4u maths
Physics
Chemistry
Adv. English
Philosophy

I want 99.5.

I've got no specific course work to cover though (except a bit of Chemistry and English reading). I'm going to nail mathS when I get back from holidays in the new year. Physics is sweet (I mean, they give you the forumlas :lol: ). Don't do nothing though, especially if you want a high UAI.

Last edited:

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i dont remember doing much study at all in the xmas hols last year. i spose you could do a couple of hours every now and again. i didnt do that well so you prolly wouldnt wanna listen but i think 10 hrs a day this early is ridiculous. you'll burn out, or miss out on the best year of your life thus far.

Shocker_85

Originally posted by Twintip
10 hours a day is rediculous. I'm going into year 12 and I've probably only done 10 hours in total! That includes wading my way through Emma (fuck that's a painful read). Seriously, go to the beach or something. At the moment, I'm only awake for 12 hours of the day so I'm kidding myself if I think I'm going to do more than a couple of hours studying. Mind you, I will probably get stuck into it in the last couple of weeks of holidays so everything is fresh for school (especially maths, I've forgotten it all!).

I'm doing:
4u maths
Physics
Chemistry
Adv. English
Philosophy

I want 99.5.

I've got no specific course work to cover though (except a bit of Chemistry and English reading). I'm going to nail mathS when I get back from holidays in the new year. Physics is sweet (I mean, they give you the forumlas :lol: ). Don't do nothing though, especially if you want a high UAI.
U probably go 2 a selective or private school, so it mite not b4 very hard 4 u to understand everything. At my school, we dont have good teachers 4 the science subjects and there is very less competition...so we have 2 work a bit by ourselves...

asymptote

I'm doing:
4u maths
Physics
Chemistry
Adv. English
Philosophy

I want 99.5.

hi
do u go to a selective school...may be ur smart enough to enjoy ur holz n still be able to try for 99.5.....but im a sort of person who needs to work hard to get a high uai.
i do

3u maths
eng stand
physics
chem
ipt

Twintip

Well I do go to a private school but seriously, 10 hours a day is way too much. I will still be working pretty hard in the last couple of weeks, but I don't see the point of doing a lot of work now because I'll forget a lot of it. If I study just before I go back it'll be all fresh in my mind and I'll be on a run. Plus, I'm not motivated at the moment. Getting myself to sit down and work is really hard, the hardest it's been all year. I suppose I should expect that with so much on. With the 99.5, I don't think anyone can really know how much work they need to do for a specific UAI until they've actually finished. I don't think there is any way to gauge how hard other people work compared to yourself because different people work and learn differently. I basically see my best chance of attaining the results I want by working as hard and as efficiently as I can, within reason.

Especially now, between Christmas and New Year, take some time off! I don't think your teachers could be that bad, I'm sure they are teaching you the syllabus. What school do you go to? And don't stress either. If you are worrying now, you'll be screwed come exam time.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i finished year 12 this year.

i was trekking in chile for the second half of the summer hols 2001-02, so didn't study then, except i took an english text to read on the plane and during airport waits. when i was at home, i didn't do much organised study. looked at a bit of maths, read half my english texts, did all the holiday homework, and though about ideas for my art major work.

i suppose at that stage the reality of the HSC hadn't hit me. studying properly hadn't really crossed my mind. and i'm sort of glad it hadn't -- i had a nice relaxing holiday.

asymptote

Well I do go to a private school but seriously, 10 hours a day is way too much. I will still be working pretty hard in the last couple of weeks, but I don't see the point of doing a lot of work now because I'll forget a lot of it. If I study just before I go back it'll be all fresh in my mind and I'll be on a run. Plus, I'm not motivated at the moment. Getting myself to sit down and work is really hard, the hardest it's been all year. I suppose I should expect that with so much on. With the 99.5, I don't think anyone can really know how much work they need to do for a specific UAI until they've actually finished. I don't think there is any way to gauge how hard other people work compared to yourself because different people work and learn differently. I basically see my best chance of attaining the results I want by working as hard and as efficiently as I can, within reason.

Especially now, between Christmas and New Year, take some time off! I don't think your teachers could be that bad, I'm sure they are teaching you the syllabus. What school do you go to? And don't stress either. If you are worrying now, you'll be screwed come exam time.

i go to a state school...i have a crap phys teacher so i need to really work hard....other teachrs r just gr8

Twintip

All my teachers are great except my physics teacher who didn't really force us to learn, and free learning really didn't work. I've got a new one starting next year so here's hoping! Two days before the year 11 yearly exam I read the whole Physics text book and made notes on each chapter. I didn't have time to read them, I just had time to write them out. I ended up coming second in the year, and I didn't know a thing until two days before the exam. I'd rather not do that again though. Just make sure you know all of the syllabus dot points up until where you're at. It shouldn't take more than a few hours (say, 6 at absolute most), for the whole thing, IN TOTAL. You can't have covered much of the course at this stage, I know we haven't!

Seriously, I hate it when people in my year who don't take their education seriously (read "stupid idiots") tell me to stop working so hard, just as I'm sure you are too. They just have no respect for what you want to achieve. But I do take my education seriously, and I am suggesting that you do ease up. :)

Work hard, play hard. Find time to scratch your arse. :D

Sarah

HSC
N/A
10 hrs a day is ok if u break it up. but seriously, listen to ppl when they say it's quality, not quantity coz even before the hsc started, the max amount of studying i did was about 8hrs and yet i still got a uai over 90. oh also, TAFE isn't just for ppl who get a low uai. It can be better for some courses e.g hospitality and design

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Sarah
10 hrs a day is ok if u break it up. but seriously, listen to ppl when they say it's quality, not quantity coz even before the hsc started, the max amount of studying i did was about 8hrs and yet i still got a uai over 90. oh also, TAFE isn't just for ppl who get a low uai. It can be better for some courses e.g hospitality and design
I peaked at 8 a day, avaeraged 6-7 and got 99.85. I have a poor memory so you could probably get by with a bit less :).

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

I peaked at 8 a day, avaeraged 6-7 and got 99.85. I have a poor memory so you could probably get by with a bit less :).
During the hols? Omg I haven't even started properly studying for anything yet... now you're scaring me :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)