How much to study in Hols? (1 Viewer)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

During the hols? Omg I haven't even started properly studying for anything yet... now you're scaring me :p
Not in these hols :D. Probably didn't get more than 4 hours of useful work done a day. I might have been physically present for longer but nothing more got done.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Holy shit-I did 8 hours a day the day before major exams...other than that, maybe 2 hours study once a week, max!

Seriously, don't study too much now...you'll be totally burned out.:(

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
relax, you lot! proper studying with structure and all hadn't even occured to me at that stage, and i still got a pretty decent uai (97.95, and i'm bloody proud :cool: )

feng

i think 3-4 hours is enuff.....if u did 3-4 hours EVERYDAY you should do well...3-4 hours of effective study that is..not lazing on ure table...

when year 12 began for me..i did...4 hours a day? i got good results for term 1...then...got complacent...bombed out in term 2 (around 1.5 hours a day on average)...worked back up in term 3 and trials...and then a week after trials up till the hsc...did like...4 hours a day...i wrote a nice timetable up...which had 8 hours a day...which i knew was almost impossible...but at least i had a goal to work to...but during the 2 weeks leading up till hsc and during hsc itself...i managed 8 hours on most days...

ure probably wondering wat uai i got....so here it is.....99.35...i kinda expected it...due to the slackng off halfway through the year...if i studied 3-4 hours/day consistently throughout the entire year..im pretty sure i woulda done a lot better

pri

HSC
N/A
you realise feng that most ppl would KILL for ur UAI

one thing that is important to get over and done with these holidays is probably to read all your english texts if u can, I know Im going to coz I cant be bothered reading during school time, and I agree with half yearly study as i went through hell trying to study in yr 11 for them. If ur doing major works research is probably a good thing to do.

and the most important thing....

wait for it....

patience...

RELAX DAMMIT!!!

Twintip

Natstar, the thing is, who's to say that the 2003 year 12 people on here are any different to this years' year 12? I would put money on a lot of 99+ year 11 students hanging around now, just like there were from your year. I'd say this time next year, the results being posted on this forum would be fairly similar (although, this forum is new and its popularity may well spread in the next year). This website generally seems to attract people who are above average. I don't think that your year is any smarter than normal.

You're right in that going to a private or selective school doesnt' automatically guarantee you a decent mark, you still have to work hard and learn the material, but there is definitely an advantage there (resources, teachers, surroundings). I would also say that 99.1 for a dux isn't an amazing UAI. Plus, that's just one person.

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Twintip
Natstar, the thing is, who's to say that the 2003 year 12 people on here are any different to this years' year 12? I would put money on a lot of 99+ year 11 students hanging around now, just like there were from your year. I'd say this time next year, the results being posted on this forum would be fairly similar
god I hope so! I need 99 to get into my course

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by pri

god I hope so! I need 99 to get into my course
I need 80 or 85.
I know I could never get a UAI of above 90.
My marks now are ranging from 85-94 (I got 98 in a maths test but that was only a fluke) so I don't see myself even getting a UAI of 85.

I think you guys are stressing too much.
It's not even 2003 yet! Sheesh.. lol..
:)

Shocker_85

Especially now, between Christmas and New Year, take some time off! I don't think your teachers could be that bad, I'm sure they are teaching you the syllabus. What school do you go to? And don't stress either. If you are worrying now, you'll be screwed come exam time. [/B]

i go 2 Wiley Park girls' high...

Shocker_85

Seriously, I hate it when people in my year who don't take their education seriously (read "stupid idiots") tell me to stop working so hard, just as I'm sure you are too. They just have no respect for what you want to achieve. But I do take my education seriously, and I am suggesting that you do ease up. :)

Work hard, play hard. Find time to scratch your arse. :D
yeah, same at my school...people always want u not 2 study...
n dats y we have very less competition...
Twintip wat school do u go 2?

Last edited:

Twintip

Fair enough, any UAI of 99+ is brilliant. That person is obviously very intelligent and worked very hard. But as far as dux's go, I still think it would be a fair way off the UAIs of Dux's at most selective schools (as opposed to what you have just said). :)

By the way, I bet you don't know my school either. So what...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by MiKeY

My marks now are ranging from 85-94 (I got 98 in a maths test but that was only a fluke) so I don't see myself even getting a UAI of 85.

Um, all my marks were around the 70s, and I got a UAI over 90. HSC marks are usually higher than school marks, so you seem to have a good chance of getting over 90.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by MiKeY

Um, all my marks were around the 70s, and I got a UAI over 90. HSC marks are usually higher than school marks, so you seem to have a good chance of getting over 90.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by natstar

How the fuk did that work? I got marks in the 80's and i got a fukin UAI of 75
it just depends on the school and how lenient (or tight, as the case may be) they are ... but general speaking if you get raw marks of 70s, 80s, 90s they are aligned to a higher mark by the board of studies ...

for example for my exam mark for mathematics ext one, im sure my raw exam mark was 90% or there abouts ... but after scaling the 'exam mark' it became 96 ...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

it just depends on the school and how lenient (or tight, as the case may be) they are ... but general speaking if you get raw marks of 70s, 80s, 90s they are aligned to a higher mark by the board of studies ...

for example for my exam mark for mathematics ext one, im sure my raw exam mark was 90% or there abouts ... but after scaling the 'exam mark' it became 96 ...
Noo way... they tell me that I'll get about a 45/50 for a raw mark of 75%

And I think it happens because of scaling etc...

asymptote

and the most important thing....

wait for it....

patience...

RELAX DAMMIT!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

well for a uai of 99 how do u plan to manage?

asymptote

Originally posted by natstar

Just becuz ppl go to a private or selective skool, doesnt mean they are any smarter or better or can understand the work better than anyone else. I go to a rural public skool on the mid nth coast, and we have ppl who could beat private skool ppl anyday.
Our dux got 99.1 as her UAI!!!!!!!!!!!
Going to a private or selective skool does mean a better education, for they have smaller classess, and prolly more experienced and more quality teaching facilities, yet ppl cant make you study, you can only study if you are willing to learn and get a good result. No matter how good your skool is or how good your teachers are, everyone is capable of getting a UAI of 100, if they have the will to achieve that!

well at my school students are shown so low at times that i feel im dumb even though i work so hard!

asymptote

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
Holy shit-I did 8 hours a day the day before major exams...other than that, maybe 2 hours study once a week, max!

Seriously, don't study too much now...you'll be totally burned out.:(
u know in yr 11 i studied like 5 to 6 hrs a night =but my strategies were not correct...i stuffed up physics badly..i hoped to come 1st!!

asymptote

Seriously, I hate it when people in my year who don't take their education seriously (read "stupid idiots") tell me to stop working so hard, just as I'm sure you are too. They just have no respect for what you want to achieve. But I do take my education seriously, and I am suggesting that you do ease up. :)

Work hard, play hard. Find time to scratch your arse. :D
my phys teacher would be the same 1...i hope some miracle happens n we dont have him.....he gets transfered or sthing...

its hard to believe that ppl at private schools bludge...ive been in aust for 2 yrs...so i didnt know which school to go to....but now i feel i belong there....there are some ppl who try to get u off by studying...like one day i went to see the curriculum princlipal n i got late 4 class so i went n i old phys teacher where i was....n he said i hope u didnt go to complain about me (we've already complained twice) then this gal was like....sir ur the best...i wudnt complain bout u cos if i dont understand phys its not ur mistake...n i see that gal on the net all free periods while i try my best to study....

imagine last 3 weeks of T4 we did pracs almost every single lesson....he writes 2 less on the board and wants to complete one whole chapter in one week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)