How much will law text books cost me? (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
jackmurray1989 said:
most would prefer the use a of a textbook to refer to, reread and disect.
That's why I said it's probably in the minority. The HD student said if there was anything she needed clarification on, she'll go to the library but otherwise it's all good.

jackmurray1989 said:
It also places a heavy reliance on the the tutors/lecturers to cover all the necessary material.
That's how it is at these two top law schools. If the lecturer cannot organise and pace him/herself during the lectures, the material not covered in class will not be examinable.

ephemeral

HSC
It's probably not absolutely necessary to get any of the textbooks. Personally though I like having them anyway, especially ones with decent commentary

Also, if you have to bring in a textbook to the exam and actually use it, chances are you're going to do terribly.

We had a question in first session which said 'Refering to the prosecutor's guidelines on pg. 304 of the textbook...'.
That's insane

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
jackmurray1989 said:
We had a question in first session which said 'Refering to the prosecutor's guidelines on pg. 304 of the textbook...'.
The lecturer must have specifically emphasised whatever's on p.304 of the textbook during the semester, or the textbook is authored by the lecturer him/herself and he/she had been not-so-subtly pushing for each student to purchase a copy of it.

do0d19

HSC
N/A
What about those subjects that are partial open book - textbooks only. I had one this past semester and it woud have put you at a huge disadvantage if you didn't own the textbook. Library books were allowed to be taken in, but it would be hard to annotate around the borders/spare pages.

If you can't afford it just buy them second hand. Not worth the hassle borrowing books/looking at them in reserve. The money spent far outweighs the hassle.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
do0d19 said:
What about those subjects that are partial open book - textbooks only. I had one this past semester and it woud have put you at a huge disadvantage if you didn't own the textbook.
For my torts exam we were only allowed to take in our textbook with whatever annotations we had in it. We were not allowed to take our library text books in either.

So in this case, if you didn't have your own textbook (or one borrowed from another library) you would have had no reference material or notes for the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)