How much would a raw mark of 70 for 4U maths be scaled up to? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
Anyone know from experience how much a raw mark of 70 would be scaled to in the HSC? And is 70 in 4U maths considered bad?=S

barbernator

HSC
this is a very general question. you have to ask this question relative to a specific subject otherwise it is invalid. Also, there is a difference between scaled and aligned marks, so you will probably be more likely referring to aligned marks, i.e. band 6, 5,4 etc.

as far as your "bad" statement, this is relative to peoples own perceived ability. If you are outdoing your considered potential, no it is not considered bad. The median mark for the MX2 exam would be below 70% by far

irenefu

HSC
Okay, relative to my modern history mark of 85%? Because I'm considering dropping either one of them, since they take so much time

D94

HSC
N/A
Okay, relative to my modern history mark of 85%? Because I'm considering dropping either one of them, since they take so much time
Haha, I did both those subjects. Anyway, if you can manage to get 70% and 85% in both, for the HSC, then you're doing well. Even at school, if those exams/assessments were of HSC standard, then you are doing quite well.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone know from experience how much a raw mark of 70 would be scaled to in the HSC? And is 70 in 4U maths considered bad?=S
Actually it completely depends on the difficulty of the test. I think I got somewhere around 75% RAW for 4u in my externals (abandoned 4u study almost completely after trials in favour of English), which gave me a 94 for assessment mark to go with my 96 school mark. If I got that in the 2009 externals (piss easy) I reckon I would've gotten a bit less (92?)

Hope that helps!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
70% RAW mark at HSC standard will give a low 90s HSC mark and a scaled mark slightly higher. Around 65% RAW mark will get 90 HSC mark.

irenefu

HSC
Actually it completely depends on the difficulty of the test. I think I got somewhere around 75% RAW for 4u in my externals (abandoned 4u study almost completely after trials in favour of English), which gave me a 94 for assessment mark to go with my 96 school mark. If I got that in the 2009 externals (piss easy) I reckon I would've gotten a bit less (92?)

Hope that helps!
hahha, oh thanks for the insight -do you reckon it'd risky to drop Modern History if I'm only getting 80-85 ( which would put me down to 10 units), so I can focus more on improving my 4U results?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
hahha, oh thanks for the insight -do you reckon it'd risky to drop Modern History if I'm only getting 80-85 ( which would put me down to 10 units), so I can focus more on improving my 4U results?
No. If modern counts over 4u then you'd have other things to worry about. Drop it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Keep in mind this year's format is /100 so it might change slightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)