How necessary is physics? (1 Viewer)

Rage01

HSC
Hey everyone I just had a few questions regarding Engineering. For my HSC I did 4U Maths but didn't do Physics so I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a bridging course for Physics before uni starts?
Reading through the forums there seems to be mixed reviews about whether or not you actually need it considering it's mainly maths you need. Plus, I remember my friends (who did physics) told me they mainly learnt historical stuff for the HSC which probably wouldn't be of much use in uni?

Also, could someone tell me what kind of stuff you do for 'Engineering Design'?
Btw I'm looking at a B. Commerce / Engineering degree (probably mechanical)

Any answers are appreciated.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm an 09erand I haven't entered uni yet, but I think it would be better to do a bridging course as you probably need to know the majority of Motors and Generators module when doing Mechanical Engineering.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I read in a thread a while ago, that the majority of the 3U syllabus was the most relevant for engineering, though I'm guessing a bridging course wouldn't hurt. If they offer them then they're probably useful.

HSC
N/A
I'm an 09erand I haven't entered uni yet, but I think it would be better to do a bridging course as you probably need to know the majority of Motors and Generators module when doing Mechanical Engineering.
actually just the transformers part, thats it from motors and generators as part of our compulsory knowledge on electrical engineering.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
engineering design = get into a group or 4-5 and do a project

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Just flick through the motors and generator topic in HSC physics if you're that worried. It's pretty basic stuff and it'd save you a lot of money you otherwise would've wasted on a bridging course :)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
um motors and generators is like.. not required at all.

ive forgotten everything from hsc physics, and if you're in the stream of mech/manufac engineering (like i am, ie you're doing mech, mtrn, aero, naval, manuf), then you do a first year electrical subject in year 2 of your degree, which covers everything from scratch.

not sure about you civil engineers, check up on the handbook.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ok i checked up on civil's course structure, because i am awesome.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2010/3620.html

no electrical for you in second year, and i dont think phys1121 (first year course) has much, or any at all, electrical in it, so yeah.

physics basically requires knowledge of forces and vectors, i j k notation, projectile motion, spring constants, work energy, some thermal stuff, and thats all i can remember..

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
PHYS1121:
Description
This course provides an introduction to Physics. It is a calculus based course. The course is examined at two levels, with Physics 1A being the lower of the two levels.
Mechanics: particle kinematics in one dimension, motion in two and three dimensions, particle dynamics, work and energy, momentum and collisions.
Thermal physics: temperature, kinetic theory and the ideal gas, heat and the first law of thermodynamics. Waves: oscillations, wave motion, sound waves.

Assumed Knowledge : HSC Physics and Mathematics Extension 1 or equivalent. If you have not reached this level of physics and mathematics you may wish to take PHYS1111 Fundamentals of Physics before enrolling in this course.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2010/PHYS1121.html

your welcome.

proringz

HSC
Yeah also to add to Omie, that physics course is compulsory for all engineering disciplines except for software and bioinformatics (probably a few others but can't remember). So yes, Physics is necessary

HSC
N/A
engineering design = get into a group or 4-5 and do a project
3 per group in 2nd year engineering design for mechanical (MMAN2100)

um motors and generators is like.. not required at all.

ive forgotten everything from hsc physics, and if you're in the stream of mech/manufac engineering (like i am, ie you're doing mech, mtrn, aero, naval, manuf), then you do a first year electrical subject in year 2 of your degree, which covers everything from scratch.

not sure about you civil engineers, check up on the handbook.
you forgot the transformers for mechanical.
but the hsc physics kiddies disregard internal resistances and impedances.

HSC
physics wise - it's pretty much a heap of mechanics stuff - momentum, force, torque, energy etc... as well as some stuff on thermo near the end.
You'll have wolfe for the first half the semester; he's entertaining and does good demonstrations but he's a bit fast on the explanations and loves his maths so bear with it!
MAKE sure you attend lectures!! and try your best do do the tute questions and stay on top of the stuff, it's too easy to fall behind.

A bridging course will probably help but it will still probably be hard.

About engineering design, I guess you're talking about ENGG1000?
It's a fun subject and a fair amount of that depends on your group (its got a lot of group work!). Find yourself a group that you will be able to work together with. Don't be a slacker and get yourself a group without too many slackers. This subject is fairly enjoyable if you stay on top of it.

Anyways,
I'm sure you folks will enjoy uni next year; it's a big shock initially but it's good ;)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
About engineering design, I guess you're talking about ENGG1000?
It's a fun subject and a fair amount of that depends on your group (its got a lot of group work!). Find yourself a group that you will be able to work together with. Don't be a slacker and get yourself a group without too many slackers. This subject is fairly enjoyable if you stay on top of it.

Anyways,
I'm sure you folks will enjoy uni next year; it's a big shock initially but it's good ;)
unless it was changed last year, you cant choose who's in your group, you get put into groups for engg1000.

also, im sure them folks will enjoy uni THIS year.

get with the times man :p

ajk92

HSC
could i get away with doing no physics in hsc and not doing a bridging course? (without failing first semester)

philphie

Banned
HSC
did you do engineering studies or 4 unit maths at school?

LordPc

HSC
unless it was changed last year, you cant choose who's in your group, you get put into groups for engg1000.
I think it was changed. we had a whole lecture on different types of approaches to solving a problem and that kind of stuff. then we went outside and got into groups based on stuff the lecturer just talked about. then finally we picked our own groups, so it was really easy to get with your friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)