How relevant is Chemistry to an engineering course at Uni? (1 Viewer)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
I just wanted to know if Physics, 2 Unit and English would be enough to get me into courses like electronics engineering or electrical engineering. I've checked the prerequisites and it says,

Subjects usually required are physics, chemistry, english, higher level english, mathematics, higher level mathematics and biology. Prerequisites can vary among universities.
So my question to people studying or have studied electronics/ electrical/ aero/ computer engineering (or a similar course to these) is, if I get into an engineering course without doing HSC chemistry, would I need to complete a bridging course to cover HSC chemistry? And how much chemistry is involved in these sorts of engineering courses?

I really want to drop Chemistry but I need to know if I'll need it at Uni.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I just wanted to know if Physics, 2 Unit and English would be enough to get me into courses like electronics engineering or electrical engineering. I've checked the prerequisites and it says,

So my question to people studying or have studied electronics/ electrical/ aero/ computer engineering (or a similar course to these) is, if I get into an engineering course without doing HSC chemistry, would I need to complete a bridging course to cover HSC chemistry? And how much chemistry is involved in these sorts of engineering courses?
For electrical, aero engineering I highly doubt that Chemistry would aid you all that much. Chemistry would be far better in Chemical, Environmental and Civil Engineering, but not for Electrical/Aero Engineering.

Although high level maths is almost a given for all Engineering courses.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
For electrical, aero engineering I highly doubt that Chemistry would aid you all that much. Chemistry would be far better in Chemical, Environmental and Civil Engineering, but not for Electrical/Aero Engineering.

Although high level maths is almost a given for all Engineering courses.
Alright, thanks. So 2 unit mathematics isn't enough? Will I have to do bridging courses for math?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Alright, thanks. So 2 unit mathematics isn't enough? Will I have to do bridging courses for math?
2U is the bare minimum and you'll be struggling with the maths in uni.

Basically they hit you with 4U maths in first year uni, so 2U is a minimum (it's do-able but you'll struggle a lot), 3U will make life easy and 4U is highly recommended.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You won't have to do a bridging course (but it may be recommended by the university) or if you have the ability to do the better maths, then it's just a little catch up during university anyway. Ext. 1 Maths (or two) will give you more of a head start at Engineering in university... but they have new maths for everyone really.

+1 for you on rep since you want to do engineering!

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
2U is the bare minimum and you'll be struggling with the maths in uni.

Basically they hit you with 4U maths in first year uni, so 2U is a minimum (it's do-able but you'll struggle a lot), 3U will make life easy and 4U is highly recommended.
Ah darn, well it's too late, I can't pick up 3 or 4U from 2 Unit. I'm glad I know this now.

You won't have to do a bridging course (but it may be recommended by the university) or if you have the ability to do the better maths, then it's just a little catch up during university anyway. Ext. 1 Maths (or two) will give you more of a head start at Engineering in university... but they have new maths for everyone really.

+1 for you on rep since you want to do engineering!
Thanks, you too mate. I was thinking of dropping Chemistry so that I can focus on Physics, math and english for my HSC and hopefully get a higher ATAR from that.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Ah darn, well it's too late, I can't pick up 3 or 4U from 2 Unit. I'm glad I know this now.

Thanks, you too mate. I was thinking of dropping Chemistry so that I can focus on Physics, math and english for my HSC and hopefully get a higher ATAR from that.
For engineering, it'd be more worth your while to drop physics rather than chem because HSC chem is more relevant to engineering than HSC physics ;)

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

I really want to drop Chemistry but I need to know if I'll need it at Uni.
I'm doing this degree at the moment (4th year). I'd recommend 3u maths, but if you can't get into that now then don't fret (i only did 2u maths). If you work hard in first year you'll be fine, but don't expect anything higher than credits for the maths subjects. Actually, unless you've done the IB maths courses, the maths content is pretty much new to everyone after about 4 weeks in.

Physics i would recommend. Alot of the content (not any of the historial stuff) is pretty much taken for granted in uni physics (electromagnetics, semiconductors etc.), and they'll add in all the hard maths stuff that hsc physics omits.

I found that first year chemistry was like hsc physics, first year physics was like hsc physics + 3/4 unit maths and first year maths was totally different.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing this degree at the moment (4th year). I'd recommend 3u maths, but if you can't get into that now then don't fret (i only did 2u maths). If you work hard in first year you'll be fine, but don't expect anything higher than credits for the maths subjects. Actually, unless you've done the IB maths courses, the maths content is pretty much new to everyone after about 4 weeks in.

Physics i would recommend. Alot of the content (not any of the historial stuff) is pretty much taken for granted in uni physics (electromagnetics, semiconductors etc.), and they'll add in all the hard maths stuff that hsc physics omits.

I found that first year chemistry was like hsc physics, first year physics was like hsc physics + 3/4 unit maths and first year maths was totally different.
As many people say: "Anything more than a pass is a waste" and "P's get degrees"

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
For engineering, it'd be more worth your while to drop physics and chem because HSC chem is more relevant to engineering than HSC physics ;)
Whaat?

Yeah, the lack of difficult mathematical problems in prelim physics does give a false sense of security.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I did Electrical Engineering at Sydney Uni and first year was:

Chem 1
Physics 1
Pure Maths 1
Applied maths 1
Computer Science 1
Basic Elec Eng stuff

Pure Maths was basically 4U on steroids (very fast) and 3U was almost assumed. If you don't have calculus sorted and able to do it without thinking then the higher order maths you need for Physics and Maths will be difficult.

You need chem at HSC because you do it at Uni and HSC Chem is assumed. But you NEED to fully appreciate atoms and materials to do electrical engineering properly. The chem helps with that.

if you bio-engineering (which is a branch of elec eng in the industry) that is why biology is needed. eg how could you design the cochlear implant without a knowledge of bio?

Second Year Elec Eng at Uni was
Physics 2 (major calculus here)
Pure Maths 2 (likewise)
Electrical subjects started

If a course at Uni says you need a subject as a pre-requisite you NEED it. Do it for HSC or do the bridgin couse if you think you can do the entire year's course in a matter of a few weeks. It will be intense BUT you won't have all the extraneous subjects to do at the same time with the distraction of students who don't want to be there.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Sorry, it's supposed to say "For engineering, it'd be more worth your while to drop physics rather than chem because HSC chem is more relevant to engineering than HSC physics ;)"

If you take a look at alcalder's post, you'll see that there's pretty much nothing of HSC physics mentioned.

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
what a surprise to many that hsc physics becomes irrelevant in first year physics.

i remember back in first year physics laboatory preliminary work, show that the newton's law of cooling (see a maths ext. 1 textbook) is valid under certain conditions.

also,

year 11 AND year 12 chemistry allowed me to skip the 1st 6 weeks of lectures ^^
so it is VERY relevant.
forms the basics really.
hsc chem is more relevant than hsc physics lol.

EDIT:

and hush 09'ers and below, you arent in uni yet!

sick i wish i did 4 unit.
then i would be able to learn about the shell method which is rampant in physical proofs.

Last edited:

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Say if physics isn't a prerequisite and I get in, would I be at any disadvantage in year 2 if I didn't do HSC physics?

Xcelz

HSC
although I'm an 09'er my opinion may be irrelevant, if you haven't done HSC physics, and you need physics subjects for the 2nd year of your degree, one may assume that you would be a slight disadvantage to the others that did hsc physics unless they went back to basics.

but it depends a bit on how relevant the hsc physics u learn is to the uni work,
that's just a common sense approach from somebody that doesn't know much about engineering @ uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)