How Scared Were You? (1 Viewer)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Hey Everyone
I've recently finished the preliminary course and next term i'll be entering the HSC. At the moment the idea of being in my last year of school is quite scary. I'm wondering if other students felt the same when they were about to enter year 12?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
For me year 12 didn't seem like year 12.

If you handled year 11 very well, then expect year 12 to be quite similar.

The workload/techniques of study that you applied in your preliminary course can much readily be applied to the HSC course.

Being your last year it does feel kinda scary, thinking about studying for 11 years already and this will be the final year of school life. I wasn't too petrified, as I was actually glad to be able to finally get out of the daily 9-3pm routine.

Nothing wrong feeling scared/sad. Just don't let it affect your studies.

Jeo

shit, i didn't even think about it till yesterday.... :(

and now its over

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I wasn't nervous or scared. And once you get into it, you'll be surprised at how much it doesn't feel like you expected year 12 to feel. For me, it was much like any other year.

Nezz

HSC
I get what you mean about being scared...i think its just because when you get to be in yr 12, you dont feel like you're actually old enough to be

As the others said, if you've been doing well in yr 11, you should be fine,
If not, there is still plenty of time! The most important thing ive found is keep up to date with your work and all your summaries otherwise it gets too much and thats when things get bad...try to keep up and you'l be fine!
Also, dont be afraid to ask for help! this is your last year, take all you can from your school and your teachers...be greedy!!!! you have to be when it comes down to it

Good luck with it all... :)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I don't think I actually realised I was in Year 12 until last week's Formal. It still hasn't really hit me..

As for the beginning, I was kind of scared about being the 'head of the school', but I was more excited about finally getting there. Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Nezz
I get what you mean about being scared...i think its just because when you get to be in yr 12, you dont feel like you're actually old enough to be
omg that is SO true!
Cos being 17/18 seemed SO old when you were young, and you imagined that HSC to be so complicated and that you'd be so mature by the time you hit that age, but then you get there and you're still you!

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
omg that is SO true!
Cos being 17/18 seemed SO old when you were young, and you imagined that HSC to be so complicated and that you'd be so mature by the time you hit that age, but then you get there and you're still you!
Thats exactly how I feel. In year 8 and 9 I felt like I would learn all these things and that I would feel like a senior student. However I'm now about to enter year 12 and its like I dont have those skills and I dont feel like a year 12 student. The question is though what is a perfect year 12 student like? Sure we might have this image of what a perfect year 12 student would be like but is that just an incorect assumption? Who knows.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Not everyone is perfect :p Just try to enjoy it..

At the end of year 12 the feeling of being senior will hit you.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Craig
Thats exactly how I feel. In year 8 and 9 I felt like I would learn all these things and that I would feel like a senior student. However I'm now about to enter year 12 and its like I dont have those skills and I dont feel like a year 12 student. The question is though what is a perfect year 12 student like? Sure we might have this image of what a perfect year 12 student would be like but is that just an incorect assumption? Who knows.
There is no such thing as a perfet year 12 student...it's just an image we concocted from watching too many American sitcoms.
It's like when you were 10 years old and you just live with this assumption that by the time you are 25 you would definately be married and have kids...you just assume somewhere along the line some really definite change will inevitably occur, just as a result of time and living.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Not everyone is perfect :p Just try to enjoy it..

At the end of year 12 the feeling of being senior will hit you.
Yeah thats it right there. Not everyone is perfect.
Thats how I felt at the end of year 10. Because I go to a school where there is junior campuses (7-10) and a senior campus (11-12) at the end of year 10 it actually hit me that I was a senior at my school.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
There is no such thing as a perfet year 12 student...it's just an image we concocted from watching too many American sitcoms.
It's like when you were 10 years old and you just live with this assumption that by the time you are 25 you would definately be married and have kids...you just assume somewhere along the line some really definite change will inevitably occur, just as a result of time and living.
Yeah thats true. Damm American sitcoms. Thats what they do to you.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
omg that is SO true!
I was just thinking that exact same thing the other day:eek:. I just finished year 12 and I was like, well am I going to go to university or what? Whereas, when I was like ten, I just thought that, that was the normal thing to do.

Also, I just turned 18 a few days ago and I found it hard coming to terms with the fact that society now considers you an adult. You can buy alcohol now, make bets, vote etc but you do not feel any different. I do not feel like an adult at all. I remember being in like year six and being twelve and thinking how old and mature people are at 18. Now, being 18, I just feel the same, like I have not changed at all.:eek:

Dave85

HSC
i remember this time last year and it seemed scary but once u get started u hav assessments due and b4 u know it, its xmas holidays then its half yearlies, then its trials, then ur finished skool... it goes very quick (i know every1 says that but it'll fly)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)