• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how serious are they on the fail if no pass final policy (1 Viewer)

Shawny

how serious are they about it?
for teh faculty of commerce and the school of accounting in particular?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
basically, if it's a core subject that you are failing, a fail will stop you from progressing any further in that subject including undertaking that other subjects which need the fail subject as a prerequisite. in other words, to finish your degree, you must repeat that subject.

if it's an elective that you've failed, you can choose another elective in its place without repeating the failed elective. however, a "Fail" will still be recorded in your academic transcript :(

nancy: a 'Pass Conceded' is when you fail, but only by a little bit (usually the range is between 45 - 49). then you undertake another supplementary exam (i think), and if you pass that, you get a 'Pass Conceded'. it is recorded as that in your academic transcript and it's not exactly a good mark to get. it's worth 3 grade points as far as your GPA goes.

edit: reread shawny's question. well, if they say you have to pass the final to pass the course, i guess (?) they're serious about it. so you could be on a distinction before the exam, then fail the exam, then get a 'Fail' for Accting 1B. not a good thing. :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I dunno, because a couple of my friends were issued a PC last semester for chemistry. Last semester I passed by a good few marks but this semester for chemistry, my marks are pretty borderline... and I think I failed the final. Like Shawny I want to know about the 'fail if no pass' thing, because I was told that if we fail the final exam, we'll fail the course regardless of how well we did in the other components. The final for CHEM1021 is worth 60%.

Ah fuck.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
it used to be like that for physics, you needed to pass each component of the course (mid session, lab, final) in order to pass the course, but so few people passed the mid session, nearly everyone would have had to redo the course, so they changed it to just getting a mark of over 48 (or whatever).

its different for each course so email your lecturer

is a roflcopter
HSC
the passing finals policy isnt always that bad
im in the situation where i have to pass the finals anyway to get an aggregate over 50

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Ok, the reality is...universities do not want to fail people...poor failure rate causes less government aid to the uni...

So if you're on the edge of passing or in the 51 52 zone, you won't need to worry, they won't fail you just for that, they might give you a p.c instead

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
for computing its pretty strict

im looking forward for the results for comp1b. the exam was structured so that its pretty difficult to get a pass... well i thought so. if half the course failed... would u think a normal lecturer would scale the marks abit so he/she doesnt look bad?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Shawny said:
how serious are they about it?
for teh faculty of commerce and the school of accounting in particular?
If that is what they said, they yes they're serious about it - these are considered to be hurdle requirements. No matter how well you did elsewhere you need to satisfy the hurdle requirements.

babydoll_ said:
And can somebody give me details about "Pass Conceded"
Frigid said:
nancy: a 'Pass Conceded' is when you fail, but only by a little bit (usually the range is between 45 - 49). then you undertake another supplementary exam (i think), and if you pass that, you get a 'Pass Conceded'. it is recorded as that in your academic transcript and it's not exactly a good mark to get. it's worth 3 grade points as far as your GPA goes.
Here is UNSW's PC policy.
http://www.studentadmin.unsw.edu.au/academiclife/assessment/assessment_policy.shtml#Heading26
In deciding whether a student is eligible for the award of a PC (Pass Conceded), Faculty Assessment Review Groups apply a standard concession algorithm. An undergraduate student will be considered for the award of a Pass Conceded on a mark returned by the course authority that falls between 46 and 49 inclusive, provided that any of the following conditions is met:

1. the mark is 48 or 49 and the student’s term WAM is at least 53;
2. the mark is 46 or 47 and the student’s term WAM is at least 55;
3. the student’s cumulative WAM prior to the start of the current session is at least 55; or
4. the student is a potential graduand with no failures in the current term. See Sub-section 3.2.22
5. However,
* a returned grade of UF cannot be converted into PC without reference to the course authority; and
* a student who has previously been awarded PCs for courses totalling 18 units of credit or more shall not normally be award
ed further PCs

sunny

meh.
HSC
Capulet said:

im looking forward for the results for comp1b. the exam was structured so that its pretty difficult to get a pass... well i thought so. if half the course failed... would u think a normal lecturer would scale the marks abit so he/she doesnt look bad?
I don't think its about "looking good". Marks should be scaled so that the mean is something reasonable to compensate for the difficulty of the assessments.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
are they that strict about it?

dont know abt accounting..i failed my QMB finals last year but i still got a pass cos total mark was 50...or does QMB not worry abt ppl failing finals??
meh..dont rmemember

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
from what my tutor told me for accounting 1B they are really strict on the must pass final to pass course policy and he also told me for off session the failure rate for 1B is 25%...for normal session (ie this session) ~10%

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
Capulet said:

i thought that exam was actually pretty easy
i mean it was kinda tricky near the start with those questions that look easy, but actually trick ya

like that question with the FOR loop, in which the 4 lines under it were indented by there werent any "{/}" brackets

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
i thought that exam was actually pretty easy
i mean it was kinda tricky near the start with those questions that look easy, but actually trick ya

like that question with the FOR loop, in which the 4 lines under it were indented by there werent any "{/}" brackets
Stupid buses. I actually drew a diagram about buses, from unsw to central and vice versa, labelling "895" and "891". Lower comp got an advantage :/

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
how do we get an advantage? this test should be easy for u oh so might higher comp ppl :p

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
well.. for one all the questions are all tricky stuff :p

e.g the missing break cases from one of the multiple choices, cryptic linked list in crappy variable names, and passing a as well as &(a[0]), which was really tricky >.<

yeah, it was definitely engineered to make FLs

saves.the.day

HSC
babydoll_ said:
I dunno, because a couple of my friends were issued a PC last semester for chemistry. Last semester I passed by a good few marks but this semester for chemistry, my marks are pretty borderline... and I think I failed the final. Like Shawny I want to know about the 'fail if no pass' thing, because I was told that if we fail the final exam, we'll fail the course regardless of how well we did in the other components. The final for CHEM1021 is worth 60%.

Ah fuck.
Hi Nancy. I actually have my lab demonstrator on my msn and I asked her about how this works for you and she told me that in our chem course, if you fail within 45-49 they (Dr. Duffy and Dr. Roberts) will firstly look at 3 things to determine if you deserve pass conceded:
1. Your tutorial attendance record
2. Your Lab attendance
3. My demonstrator also said that all lab demonstrators have to write a few sentences about each student i.e. how they work in labs, they're progress, the overall quality about the labwork etc etc

So Dr Roberts mainly (1st year co-ordinator) looks at these factors to determine if you deserve to get PC.

Good Luck. You'll be fine.

Shawny

wonder wats the failure rate for qmb

wondering if im gonna end up an additoin to the statistic

ironic, the guy bout to fail statistics course ends up a statistic

see howlame my mind has become from sleeping at 3 for past 2weeks and cramming 28weeks worth of shit in 3days?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)