• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How should I correctly give decimal places on the computer assingments? (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I've done this weeks computer test twice and both times only gotten 3/5. I've gone over what I did to arrive at the answer numerous times and their is no flaw in my method. I think I'm losing marks for not giving the correct decimal places.

One of the questions asks for the mass of Sulfate needed to give 0.477 moles of Ag+ ion in Ag2SO4. The first time I answered this I put down about 5 decimal places, I then asked my friend who got 5/5 and he said I should have only given 1 decimal place. But on doing this on my second attempt my mark didn't change.

Basically the same story goes for the 3rd question which asks for the mass of atoms of oxygen in 0.477 moles of Ag2SO4. The 1st time I gave about 5 decimal places, the 2nd attempt I gave just 1. No change in mark....
I think since Avagadros number is 6.02 x 10^24 that maybe I should've given my answer as 2 decimal places i.e. ?.?? x 10^25.

Meh I'll most likely ask my tutor anywho before trying for a 3rd and final time.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
The most important aspect is to use only the standards provided inside the Computer test, and the Mass Numbers of the Periodic Table (which are usually provided on a yellow sheet, right under your mouse). Or use the big periodic table hanging on the wall.

Decimal Places usually do not play a huge role, for safety, I usually input my whole number in I.e if I ended with 0.824561165, I would type in exactly that.

The Comp Assignments usually base their answers on a range, so long as you type in a number in their designated range, they give you the 5/5 = 1% of your assessment.

Otherwise, await a tutor to help you. Try asking your demonstrator, by bringing the question along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)