How should I study in year 12? (1 Viewer)

poptarts12345

HSC
Year 11's coming to an end... just want to know if anyone's got any good study tips so I won't find myself stressing in the last minute (which is me rn:().

mmmm.

HSC
During the Dec-Jan holidays, although you should relax, make sure that you have your notes finished till whatever topic you're on in school, and if you want a head start, write notes on topics which you haven't done.

studiesofboard

HSC
Notes are useless. Do past paper exams. By doing past paper questions you're making notes by answering questions. :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Year 11's coming to an end... just want to know if anyone's got any good study tips so I won't find myself stressing in the last minute (which is me rn:().
I think just reflect on your study methods from year 11 - keep what worked, try and think of how to improve what didn't work. For me I finally did good at the end of year 11 english with a new writing technique I tried and memorising essays but that didn't work at the start of year 12, I was nearly last in around 35 students. Basically reflecting helps because I decided to just memorise quotes instead and adapt on the day which worked out really well.

In the 6-7 week holiday I planned to make notes on the whole bio and phys course but I ended up bludging heaps so I was only able to do the whole biology course (except the option module but I forgot) and a lot of english homework. Anyway this helped because it reduced my homework through the sem (which was making notes etc) and helped me learn the content since I got to learn it twice pretty much.

For biology I used my own notes but physics I used notes I found online + tutoring notes. I felt like biology was a subject you could put in your own words and understanding so it helped, but physics was just concepts/theories that were just easier to memorise so I used past notes.

For trials I was bludging kinda so I had to cram a lot of them and found knowing the content in depth to be really useful and didn't have time to do past papers. But knowing the content meant I could still answer exam questions without really doing papers. The HSC was sort of similar because I studied like: content -> past papers -> content right before exam, but for physics I did around 10 papers but had no time to mark it since I was studying content. It still worked out fine since I believe content is the most important (besides Maths, which I think past papers helps more).

Good luck! Remember that everyone has different study preferences/opinions.

yakro

HSC
I made the mistake of making my notes in the year 11 holidays - I somehow got by in year 11 quite well by spending my time writing great notes and Rote learning them instead of doing past-papers. This did not pan out for me in year 12. What I'd recommend really is just organising what you have into one fat document or finding notes elsewhere (aceHSC or even this site has great resources). Usually by trials time some teachers provide their own summaries (as mine did with business). Instead, consolidate your knowledge through PAST PAPERS. I cannot stress this enough. You will see an instant boost in results and it's just so much more efficient and less boring to do.

Also, keep on-top with your homework and make a study schedule. If you did good in year 11 you'll do great in year 12. Take it easy for these last holidays - extract every single minute of fun out of it while you can. Maybe just chill with the prescribed text for the English common module and perhaps read notes from online before you go to sleep. Don't stress, and good luck!!

studiesofboard

HSC
Yeah I agree. It depends on the subject and whether you're actually going to read the notes that you made. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)