how shud i approach this q (1 Viewer)

cossine

HSC
Just use inspection. What happen as x -> 1 or infinity or 0.

Review limits if need be. There various definitions that form limits. You need to combine them.

e.g. standard definition, one sided, infinite limits, limits at infinity.

yanujw

HSC
1/f(x) has VAs where f(x) has zeroes (the converse is also true). The graph shown has asymptotes at 1, -1 and 0, so you can eliminate A. Then, test the sign of points at x=0.5 and x=1.5 to determine the equation.

B

Deem_Skills

HSC
1. The graph approaches infinity for both x and y (x-axis is asymptote)
2. The vertical asymptotes would be the x intersections of f(x), so just plug (-1, 0) and (1, 0) into the choices.
3. It will have a local maximum at where 1/f(x) has a local min.
That should be all you need, but the most important step is probably 2 as you can just plug in the points and determine one of A, B, C or D.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
I feel like you can eyeball it to be B? (not sure if its the right ans). Basically, asymptotes form the x-int - and since the graph switches extremities as it passes through zero, one can deduce that it cannot be an x^2 int. So it could be B? (safe thing to sub in tho, but I feel eyeballing saves a lot of time)!!

Last edited:

HSC
C has an x^2 and theres no turning point at x=0 so it can't be C

Nezuko----

HSC
Its B ( I am 90% sure) => you can kind of look off the graph, if the y value for (1/f(x)) is large then f(x) will be small vice versa, and keep going, of course there will be x intercepts on f(x) where there are x asymptotes on 1/f(x), but this is essentially to test whether or not you can identify these features.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
C has an x^2 and theres no turning point at x=0 so it can't be C
Yh fair I meant B lol. DK why I said C, cos the thing does not bounce back up (as can be seen by the decreasing and increasing graphs within the asymptotes)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Its B ( I am 90% sure) => you can kind of look off the graph, if the y value for (1/f(x)) is large then f(x) will be small vice versa, and keep going, of course there will be x intercepts on f(x) where there are x asymptotes on 1/f(x), but this is essentially to test whether or not you can identify these features.
Yh it's def B

Deem_Skills

HSC
Yh fair I meant B lol. DK why I said C, cos the thing does not bounce back up (as can be seen by the decreasing and increasing graphs within the asymptotes)
yeah, also another way u could eliminate either B or C is by testing the sign on either side (that's usually what works best for me)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Average Boreduser said:
What would I need to answer for this?
Capture.PNG
I think that an answer to this question would be something along the lines of:

The graph of is a parabola with vertex . This fails the horizontal line test, so the inverse is not a function.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)