How the pH of blood can change? (1 Viewer)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
yes.

The most common way would be by the formation of CO2, due to respiration - CO2(g) + H2O(l) <-> CO2(aq) + H2O(l) <-> H2CO3(aq) <-> H+(aq) + HCO3-(aq). As the hydrogen ion concentration increases the pH would go down. Any non-metal oxide will be acidic and any metal oxide will be basic.

btw - do you do chemistry (as this is covered fairly in depth there - its not in your profile but then neither is bio:p

EDIT: should do sub-scripts.... oh well

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
also i think anaerobic respiration can produce the waste product of some acid (forgot name)... that can lower the ph...

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
also i think anaerobic respiration can produce the waste product of some acid (forgot name)... that can lower the ph...
lactic acid

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think you have to do a prac on the effect of CO2 on pH

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by frodo
i think you have to do a prac on the effect of CO2 on pH
yea not hard... univsersal indicator in tap water (better to use distilled water), then blow ur exhaled air into tube ^^ worked out nicely ^^

untamedanimal

We mixed hydrochloric acid with calcium pebbles. The gas formed is carbon dioxide and travels through that tube into distilled water. Then measure pH. We also did the blow into water one

jesshika

supreme being
Originally posted by untamedanimal
We mixed hydrochloric acid with calcium pebbles. The gas formed is carbon dioxide and travels through that tube into distilled water. Then measure pH. We also did the blow into water one

ourclass did both to make sure taht it wasn't any other factor besides CO2 gas in our breathe that caused the ph levels of water to drop

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by untamedanimal
We mixed hydrochloric acid with calcium pebbles.
otherwise known as calcium carbonate

Co2 and lactic acid both affect pH. for biology, the main thing to know is thatwhen co2 dissolves in water, it lowers the pH

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Remember also that there are a variety of buffers present in blood to ensure that its pH does not change very much.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Remember also that there are a variety of buffers present in blood to ensure that its pH does not change very much.
um yea.. homeostasis.. feedback mechanisms?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i think more like the heamoglobin... its capability to bind with CO2 increases with acidity or something...

queenie

HSC
wouldnt u breath faster to get rid of more Co2. anyway, as Co2 is the stimulus for respiration, and there's plenty of it in the body, you would naturally breathe more/faster

queenie

HSC
well the stimulus of breathing is Co2...

lack of o2=2 much Co2

*shrugs, i thought breathing faster was the result of 2 much Co2, but some1 correct me on this....

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Breathing rate / style does alter CO2 levels, and hence blood pH.

ie. respiratory acidosis (blood pH too low) can be caused by hypoventilation, and respiratory alkalosis (blood pH too high) can be caused by hyperventilation.

However, I was just pointing out that there are buffers in blood beyond the carbonic acid / hydrogencarbonate ion one, such as the hydrogenphosphate ion / dihydrogenphosphate ion buffer, which are involved in regulating blood pH.

Gomer

HSC
All you need to know is that CO2, a product of cellular respiration is the main agent in which causes a change in pH of mammalian blood.

CO2 when dissolved in water (i.e. blood plasma) will form carbonic acid and lower the pH.

-- Gomer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)