How to ace oral presentations (1 Viewer)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to ace oral presentations

I'm bumping your post :D
Bump again for such a helpful person!
Thanks for your kind praise:)-I wish you all the best for your university studies and beyond:)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

Strawberrye!! As always your threads are amazing! Thank you! I do the walking thing because I get nervous and I didn't know it makes people feel dizzy hahah cheers!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Strawberrye!! As always your threads are amazing! Thank you! I do the walking thing because I get nervous and I didn't know it makes people feel dizzy hahah cheers!
Thanks for the kind compliment:). As long as you don't walk too often and you walk with a purpose to enhance your point, I am sure it didn't make people feel as dizzy as you thought it would. Best wishes for you to ace any future oral presentations you will need to do:)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

No worries! :) Yay thanks!! :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

My top 3 tips to writing a strong speech conclusion would be:

1)Make sure it ties in with your introduction and main points well, and most importantly, you are using the key words of the question you are given to answer the question as closely as possible. Do not introduce any new points in your conclusion.

2)Sometimes the best conclusion takes advantage of the environment one presents their speeches in, I could recall at one time, I did a speech talking about barriers and belonging, and I used an analogy in my conclusion by referring to the walls in the room which I was speaking in as physical barriers (can't remember much about the conclusion), but considering your target audience and environment is always a good tip.

3)If you start off your speech with a quote, perhaps consider ending your speech with some kind of quote as well. Make sure you achieve a definitive purpose in your conclusion, whether it be to persuade, to summarise, to advocate a desire for undertaking some sort of action. A strong conclusion should always be short, sweet and suitable to both the context and audience you are addressing.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Remember, the art of speaking needs to be practiced upon whenever possible, so if any opportunity arises, whether it be a class oral presentation, a public speaking or debating competition, grab the opportunity and relish it as another chance to sharpen your speaking skills:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Sometimes through watching other people present, i.e. your teacher presenting a lesson, you can gain new ideas on how to enhance engaging your audience. Remember, regardless of what type of oral presentation you are doing, having a firm focus on your audience and catering your speech to their needs is absolutely critical if you want good reception for your speech:)

lavender1001

HSC

This is such an awesome thread Mei! I have an English speech to present in about a week and this helps so much! :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

This is such an awesome thread Mei! I have an English speech to present in about a week and this helps so much! :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
All my best wishes for you to ace your English speech, if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to post on this thread:)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Bump. ^^

IcyRain

HSC

Is it okay that i talk about my set text more than my related text, like about 500 words: 400 words? I'm running out of room to fit words without going over the time limit

Last edited:

IcyRain

HSC

Bump ^^^

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Is it okay that i talk about my set text more than my related text, like about 500 words: 400 words? I'm running out of room to fit words without going over the time limit
It depends on what your assessment criteria is, try to see whether you have any sentences that is saying the same thing and cut those sentences out, make sure that your sentences are mainly analytical rather than descriptive.

IcyRain

HSC

I have condensed it down quite a bit. The question was: Analyse how the composer of ONE related text represents their ideas about belonging. Compare this representation of belonging with that of the set text.
I have set it out like this:
Introduction
First Idea - Set Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
First Idea - Related Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
Second Idea - Set Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
Second Idea - Related Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
Conclusion

This should be alright? I have listed specific examples and quotes, talked about their technique and how it relates back to the topic sentence.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I have condensed it down quite a bit. The question was: Analyse how the composer of ONE related text represents their ideas about belonging. Compare this representation of belonging with that of the set text.
I have set it out like this:
Introduction
First Idea - Set Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
First Idea - Related Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
Second Idea - Set Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
Second Idea - Related Text
*Evidence 1
*Evidence 2
Conclusion

This should be alright? I have listed specific examples and quotes, talked about their technique and how it relates back to the topic sentence.
There really is no fixed number of evidence you should put, it really depends on what form your related text in, usually it is advisable to put more, i.e. three for each idea, and you have enough time to do this if you can make your sentences as concise and clear as possibly without any verbosity. Usually, I would recommend talking about the set text first, but because this question is focusing on the related text, I would highly advise you to talk about the related text first and make sure your analysis of your related text is slightly more than your set text. Make sure you are firmly answering the question:)

Daniellemc

HSC
I have a business studies oral presentation I hope I go well, I have a habit of not looking at the audience, how can I get out of that habit??

IcyRain

HSC

There really is no fixed number of evidence you should put, it really depends on what form your related text in, usually it is advisable to put more, i.e. three for each idea, and you have enough time to do this if you can make your sentences as concise and clear as possibly without any verbosity. Usually, I would recommend talking about the set text first, but because this question is focusing on the related text, I would highly advise you to talk about the related text first and make sure your analysis of your related text is slightly more than your set text. Make sure you are firmly answering the question:)
Thanks for your advice and guide, ended up getting 18/20 for the speech so I am thrilled :D

IcyRain

HSC
I have a business studies oral presentation I hope I go well, I have a habit of not looking at the audience, how can I get out of that habit??
Maybe try to memorize your speech as best you can, especially the introduction because it may make you look at the audience more frequently during later parts in the speech.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Simple, consciously practice and remind yourself that you need to make some eye contact:) Practice makes perfect:)

Thanks for your advice and guide, ended up getting 18/20 for the speech so I am thrilled :D
Congratulations!-a wonderful mark you should be proud of-I wish you all the best-if you have any questions relating to senior studies or oral presentations in the future, feel free to reply to the senior study guide I have started or to this thread:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)