How to ace oral presentations (2 Viewers)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher was a bit biased about me, for a reason I know not and ended up with a 14/20 for which I was expecting around 17. Thanks for taking out your time to help us Mei.
:) :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher was a bit biased about me, for a reason I know not and ended up with a 14/20 for which I was expecting around 17. Thanks for taking out your time to help us Mei.
:) :)
Maybe ask for comments from the teacher on how you can improve? Always try to see what you can take away from each assessment task:) Thanks for appreciating my efforts:)-I don't really get this very often:) Best wishes for your studies this year:)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe ask for comments from the teacher on how you can improve? Always try to see what you can take away from each assessment task:) Thanks for appreciating my efforts:)-I don't really get this very often:) Best wishes for your studies this year:)
Yes Thats the problem. I do think she dislikes me so she probably doesnt want to help me. But thanks for the wishes :). hopefully I can leave school with a smile on my face :).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes Thats the problem. I do think she dislikes me so she probably doesnt want to help me. But thanks for the wishes :). hopefully I can leave school with a smile on my face :).
You will leave school with a smile on your face if you choose to. Perspective and psychology can be a powerful thing.
For anyone else having any questions at all related to oral presentations, please feel free to ask:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey strawberrye, I've been given my English speech which is due in around two weeks from now and the question that was given is this:

Compose a speech in which you demonstrate how your understanding of the interplay between history and memory is shaped by the construction of the texts.

All I've done so far is dumb down the language to be written like this, "How does your understanding of history and memory cooperating with each other form the making of the texts", but I don't know how to go from there due to such a vague and open to interpretation question.

Could you please provide some help to kickstart my preparation?
You need to deconstruct the key words of the speech question to expand your understanding and possibility of different theses to answer this question, for example, you need to refer back to the module rubric to understand the many possibilities presented by this question.

Interplay between history and memory-this sounds very similar, if not the same as the current HSC module elective for Module C in Advanced English called 'history and memory', i am not sure whether the module rubric you have been given is the same as the current HSC module, but essentially you may choose to explore how history is often portrayed as an objective understanding of the past while memory is a more subjective interpretation, but ultimately, if you closely examine history is made of memories/eyewitness accounts, then the supposed distinct divide between history and memory breaks down.

Although I personally haven't studied this module for my HSC, you may choose to explore conceptual concerns relating history and memory together, i.e. perhaps a combination of history and personal memories is essential for construction of a more holistic understanding of truth of any particular historical event, and also you need to be aware construction of texts-is talking about techniques, including structural techniques, and depending on what your prescribed and related text are, you may choose to expand/contrast/compare these key conceptual concerns within the two texts.

Very important is to incorporate a personal voice into your speech, try to investigate unique ideas that are particular to the texts you have selected, and be specific in your thesis. Ultimately you may choose to find that the interplay between history and memory is an inevitable result of the universal shortcomings of humanity, in that we all have a tendency to forget things with the progression of time, and that our memory is vulnerable to distortion, no matter how confident we are in our memories. I would highly recommend you to have a look through the module rubric you have been given for this topic to really investigate into how you can answer this question: (an extract from the current HSC syllabus is provided below):

"Their responding and composing, students consider their prescribed text and other texts which explore the relationships between individual memory and documented events. Students analyse and evaluate the interplay of personal experience, memory and documented evidence to broaden their understanding of how history and personal history are shaped and represented."

Essentially the question is seeking for your understanding how the techniques and textual form/media/structural features deliberately/judiciously chosen by composers enhances your understanding of the complex and intrinsic relationship between memory and history-in the context of projecting some timeless/universal human concerns... hope this helps a bit:)

Best wishes for your speech:)-this question is not vague, it is broad and allows you a lot of flexibility in expanding your understanding:)

ATAR Achiever

HSC
Thanks for your help on this thread! :) I had to do a Modern speech last week and we get the results back tomorrow. Will lyk how it went. Many thanks again for the help! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your help on this thread! :) I had to do a Modern speech last week and we get the results back tomorrow. Will lyk how it went. Many thanks again for the help! :)
Thanks for showing your appreciation:) I don't often get this:)-I hope you did well in your modern history speech and best wishes for you to ace the rest of your HSC studies:)-may you achieve your ATAR aim and aspirations:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Tip: It is not necessarily the more times you fix up your speech, the better it will be. Sometimes it may be much more beneficial to think over possible corrections in your head before executing them-this way-you will find you will fix your speech less times-but achieve better quality proof-reading:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Tip: Sometimes watching oral presentations on a regular basis can assist you to learn from the best orators/presenters which can in turn greater enhance your marks for presentation of your speech, a good source of this is from TED talks, where you can learn about different knowledge as well as get to witness/learn from some of the best contemporary and most creative/original presenters:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A golden tip to test whether your oral presentation is engaging is to imagine you are in the audience and see whether you yourself will be engaged by your presentation, if the answer is in the negative, then it might well be time to change your presentation to suit your audience even better:)

astroman

HSC
Hey Mei, what do you suggest i include in a 3min speech on how discovery is represented in The Shakespearean drama, The Tempest?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do we get marked the way we present the speech? (i.e. eye contact, voice modulation, etc?)
You actually do-this is generally under the broader category of engagement with audience. Technically, on a professional level, 50% of your marks comes from your presentation, and 50% comes from your content, however, obviously having great content would enhance your confidence in presenting it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One tip to remember-whilst aspects of presentation-i.e. tone, speech, pace, eye contact is important in a oral assessment task, it is vital that you structure your speech so that it firmly answers the assessment criteria and given question and nothing irrelevant is in it. A very good guide is if you are able to craft a speech you personally would enjoy hearing, than you have reached success:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)