How to address professors and tutors (1 Viewer)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
Hey! My social science teacher in High school used to say said that it was a dead giveaway to everyone in Uni that a student is a first year if he/she calls everyone by "miss" and "sir" |o| ( remembers the good old high school days)

So I was wondering, what do you guys usually call your teachers/professors/tutors/advisors etc etc.. By their first name? By their ranks and titles? Or it all depends?

Thanks guys!
( I also posted this in General board, but I guess since Im going to UNSW, It would be more relevant to me to post it here :) )

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Usually by their first names, although with the heads of departments I've started out with Professor, often times when I want something from them.

elfm

HSC
For me...

Tutors by their first name (only if they're students themselves)

Lecturers, full time tutors, lecturers being tutors, etc - Sir or first name for males, first name only for females. I think it depends a lot on the lecturer. Some lecturers rather proper titles, and some are more carefree and don't mind being called by their first names.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
You posted this elsewhere...

<_<
>_>
<_<

As I said in the other thread, all the staff I interacted with at UNSW preferred to be called by their first name. Even the lecturers.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
They mostly prefer to be addressed by their first name so its more personal.

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
You posted this elsewhere...

<_<
>_>
<_<

As I said in the other thread, all the staff I interacted with at UNSW preferred to be called by their first name. Even the lecturers.
:eek:

Thanks guys!
( I also posted this in General board, but I guess since Im going to UNSW, It would be more relevant to me to post it here :) )

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
In class I'll usually just call out "sir" or whatever, but if I'm chatting to them it'll be first name.

J

jhakka

The USYD English department says otherwise (yes, I know this is the UNSW forum).

Addressing Staff

The correct form of address to use in both verbal and written communication with staff is their title and surname, which are available in the 'Staff' listing on the Department's website. Some staff prefer always to be addressed formally and some students may prefer always to address them in this way. This is never incorrect. What is incorrect is to assume that first names are acceptable to all staff. Use of the first name is to be initiated by the staff member and typically occurs in small-group teaching situations with senior level, honours and postgraduate students.

gman03

HSC
I begin my conversations with them with one of the follow:
  • Um, ...
  • THis,....
  • THat,....
  • Wei.... maybe not wei
Anything actually

elfm

HSC
yeah the lecturers will usually tell you what they would like you to call them in the first (intro) lecture of the subject.

Affinity

HSC
"hey YOU there" j/k

whatever they introduce themselves to be...
Usually first names will do, but to be on the safe side you should use Dr X or prof X first and see..

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pretty much every lecturer I've ever had, both at USyd and UNSW, were most comfortable being addressed by first name. If you are writing a formal letter or application to them then obviously use their full title, if they have one (eg. Professor Zines). But if you're just talking to them in class or writing them a quick e-mail about a minor issue, then use their first name.

If you really want to be particularly polite then you can always use their title (if they have one) and wait for them to lower the formality. There's no harm in doing this.

G

Gavvvvvin

Nebuchanezzar said:
You could always call them cheif, captain or buddy if in doubt.
Haha, that Triantafillis dude always used to call everyone 'chief'.

I always found an "OI" sufficed.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Triantafillis rocked, his chief name calling being one of the reasons for him rocking. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)