how to answer last part of sec 1?? (1 Viewer)

Haks

HSC
hey
i dont know how to answer the last part of section 1. The question is either worth 5 or 6 marks and i always get 3 or 4. like it usually says "evaluate" or "compare and contrast" two texts. i dont know whether to compare them with the aspects of journeys, or with the techniques their composers have used. Anyone have any suggestions on how i could answer this question??
thanks

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
hak52c said:
hey
i dont know how to answer the last part of section 1. The question is either worth 5 or 6 marks and i always get 3 or 4. like it usually says "evaluate" or "compare and contrast" two texts. i dont know whether to compare them with the aspects of journeys, or with the techniques their composers have used. Anyone have any suggestions on how i could answer this question??
thanks

you will have to talk about the stimulous material that you are given and as you said you have to evaluate, compare or contrast... so i found the best way to go about it was
a) discuss each text seperatly first - a small paragraph on each will suffice. In this you mention some of the techniques used by the composers. I.e. what language devices they use, what visual aids they employ etc.
relate each one individually to the journey through the techniques they are using.

Then once you have done this for each text - go into comparing / contrasting them. Say which one is more effective and why. What makes text A more appropriate. (Usually the quesiton will say that they want to include the texts in something like a website for teens, or a new magazines aimed at people aged >35 - you will usually be given a target audience)

so you would say in text A the composer employs the use of visual aids to convey his interpretation of the journey. This would be more appropriate for a website then text b which is feature article.

that way you dont forget to mention anything

Haks

HSC
ahh yeah, i get ya...thanks for that.

So ur saying...spend more time on explaining how the composer has used techniques to represent the journey...and like after ive done that...make comparisions about which text would be more relevant according to the intended audience right?...but more emphasis on the representation

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
um sort of -
yes spend time showing how each one has done it -
but make sure that you compare (or do whatever it is the question asks) the texts really really well. That will be the different b/w your top marks and middle marks.
to get the top marks you have to show what they use - and then show which is more effective. usually my answers were roughly 3 pages - so i would spend about 1 1/3 pages talking about the techniques and the rest comparing which would be better.

and i should note - when you are saying which one you would not use - state why

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
the last section should be a mini-essay teachers say. So write about a page and a bit.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
MissSavage29 said:
um sort of -
yes spend time showing how each one has done it -
but make sure that you compare (or do whatever it is the question asks) the texts really really well. That will be the different b/w your top marks and middle marks.
to get the top marks you have to show what they use - and then show which is more effective. usually my answers were roughly 3 pages - so i would spend about 1 1/3 pages talking about the techniques and the rest comparing which would be better.

and i should note - when you are saying which one you would not use - state why
3 pages - how big's your writing?

Estelle

Our teachers said to make this bit just like a mini essay, so structure it like a normal essay but super short i suppose :)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
cherryblossom said:
3 pages - how big's your writing?
i did tend to rush a little in exams so it was kind of messy so i liked to keep it a bit spread out so it was readable.

Most people wrote about 1 1/2 to 2ish pages - dont stress -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)