• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how to approach an excerpt?? (2 Viewers)

miffy444

HSC
guys pls help. my teacher hasn't taught us how to answer an essay when there is an excerpt in the question and i need to know

for example this question for module a for keats and campion:

Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal vet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!

How does lane Campion's film Bright Star reimagine the ideas of Keats' collection
to explore both shared and dissonant values? Use the extract provided and your
prescribed texts in your response.

the question itself is very straightforward but how many times do i need to reference the quote? my mod a is in the ABAB structure (poems, film, poems, film) so i'd only be able to reference this in my poems paragraph, and i'd be lucky if i could fit it into both themes.

do i need to address the excerpt in the thesis/intro?

AND this 2021 module b question for king henry iv:

[insert gigantic excerpt]

In what ways does this excerpt reflect the concerns and aesthetic qualities of Shakespeare’s play?

is this just asking me to analyse the excerpt for my whole essay? i know it's not, but it feels like it is - so how many times would i need to analyse it?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
guys pls help. my teacher hasn't taught us how to answer an essay when there is an excerpt in the question and i need to know

How does lane Campion's film Bright Star reimagine the ideas of Keats' collection

the question itself is very straightforward but how many times do i need to reference the quote? my mod a is in the ABAB structure (poems, film, poems, film) so i'd only be able to reference this in my poems paragraph, and i'd be lucky if i could fit it into both themes.

In what ways does this excerpt reflect the concerns and aesthetic qualities of Shakespeare’s play?

is this just asking me to analyse the excerpt for my whole essay? i know it's not, but it feels like it is - so how many times would i need to analyse it?
i did that extract for my internals with an ABAB structure and got 20/20, every time you have a keats paragraph swap out a quote you have with a quote from the extract if you haven't already. You have to do it in both of your Keats paragraphs so it shows you have sustained engagement with the extract (this can and will lose you marks if you don't), also make sure to identify this quote as part of the extract. This was what I did for my second poem para:

Keats’ worries over XYZ are addressed in the Ode on a Grecian Urn extract. The forced epizeuxis disruption of ‘Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss…’ highlights his... [relate back to point]

For my first poem para I did a completely different quote

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

Oh wait there's the other type of extract question they can ask. They (my school) taught this type of extract response and also gave my cohort that type of question for my Module B internal, and so many people did so bad in addressing the extract for that one. For that one, quote the excerpt in the intro, quote it in your topic sentences, quote it in your body paragraphs when outlining your point. I'm happy to show you an example but I didn't do Henry IV so you'd only have to look at the structure

miffy444

HSC
Oh wait there's the other type of extract question they can ask. They (my school) taught this type of extract response and also gave my cohort that type of question for my Module B internal, and so many people did so bad in addressing the extract for that one. For that one, quote the excerpt in the intro, quote it in your topic sentences, quote it in your body paragraphs when outlining your point. I'm happy to show you an example but I didn't do Henry IV so you'd only have to look at the structure
bro you are saving my life. thank you for this!

for mod a: did you do two themes in your essay, or just one? people sometimes do the whole essay on feminism, whole essay on mortality etc but i do two like AB on feminism, AB on creativity. so if you did that, did you have to find ways to link the quotes to both themes? if i got that quote i'd probably use my mortality themes and creativity themes tbh it links better but anyways. and just checking, for that type of question, do you have to mention the extract in the intro???? im hearing mixed things from people

for mod b: so i'd basically have to base my whole essay around that excerpt? quote in intro, topic sentences, and use as analysis? would you say one TEE per paragraph would be ok for that?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
bro you are saving my life. thank you for this!

for mod a: did you do two themes in your essay, or just one? people sometimes do the whole essay on feminism, whole essay on mortality etc but i do two like AB on feminism, AB on creativity. so if you did that, did you have to find ways to link the quotes to both themes? if i got that quote i'd probably use my mortality themes and creativity themes tbh it links better but anyways. and just checking, for that type of question, do you have to mention the extract in the intro???? im hearing mixed things from people

for mod b: so i'd basically have to base my whole essay around that excerpt? quote in intro, topic sentences, and use as analysis? would you say one TEE per paragraph would be ok for that?
For Keats my overall theme revolved around transience and mortality, so my entire essay was about how his views regarding those changes from his earlier works to his later works (I used 6 out of the 7 prescribed Keats poems in my essay). I sprinkled in some sub-themes so paragraph 1 had the sub-theme of creativity and paragraph 2 had the sub-theme of love. Overall though all of the themes are generic and interlinked and interrelated (which is the best thing about Keats which makes answering thematic questions so much easier as compared to other Mod A texts) so you should be fine. No need to mention extract in the intro for "[QUESTION]. In your response refer to the extract" questions

For Mod B pretty much, you need to integrate it as a quotation to discuss your overall point rather than actually analyse it as evidence

hscccc

HSC
second this

i had a mod A stimulus internally and we were told to use it in our intro, analyse it in one body, bring it into the second and reference again in the conclusion (if you have one/if theres time). It also depends on the length too, we only had two lines, so you dont want to be too repetitive. But i think the key is addressing the themes the extract is really wanting you to talk about, youll be able to bring it in very easily then, thats what ur essay should be based around.

edit: if youre unsure i dont think it can hurt bringing it into ur intro and bodies (as long as ur not too repetitive with it), it will hurt if you dont and you were meant to however

miffy444

HSC
For Keats my overall theme revolved around transience and mortality, so my entire essay was about how his views regarding those changes from his earlier works to his later works (I used 6 out of the 7 prescribed Keats poems in my essay). I sprinkled in some sub-themes so paragraph 1 had the sub-theme of creativity and paragraph 2 had the sub-theme of love. Overall though all of the themes are generic and interlinked and interrelated (which is the best thing about Keats which makes answering thematic questions so much easier as compared to other Mod A texts) so you should be fine. No need to mention extract in the intro for "[QUESTION]. In your response refer to the extract" questions

For Mod B pretty much, you need to integrate it as a quotation to discuss your overall point rather than actually analyse it as evidence
thank you so much!

also , SIX POEMS? my school tells us not to do too many because it's too, like, all over the place, so i'm only doing 3! even though i would think it makes more sense to have more variety. do you think i'd lose marks for this? would 4 be ok?

miffy444

HSC
second this

i had a mod A stimulus internally and we were told to use it in our intro, analyse it in one body, bring it into the second and reference again in the conclusion (if you have one/if theres time). It also depends on the length too, we only had two lines, so you dont want to be too repetitive. But i think the key is addressing the themes the extract is really wanting you to talk about, youll be able to bring it in very easily then, thats what ur essay should be based around.

edit: if youre unsure i dont think it can hurt bringing it into ur intro and bodies (as long as ur not too repetitive with it), it will hurt if you dont and you were meant to however
thank you! for this form, referencing it in every paragraph, does this apply to all extract questions or just ones like the one i showed about king henry iv?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
thank you so much!

also , SIX POEMS? my school tells us not to do too many because it's too, like, all over the place, so i'm only doing 3! even though i would think it makes more sense to have more variety. do you think i'd lose marks for this? would 4 be ok?
my teachers recommended using a lot of poems because it shows you're viewing his poetry as one text (which it is and how it should actually be viewed). i grouped them so i talked about his earlier works (experiencing death around him and only just meeting fanny) vs his later works (knowing he'll face death himself and being so deeply in love with fanny by that time) and contrasted them. using more poems also made it easier for me to adapt my essay esp if it was an extract q so i could swap one out as a distinct idea / evidence without jeopardising or compromising the cohesion of the rest of my evidences

i think 4 would be okay

hscccc

HSC
thank you! for this form, referencing it in every paragraph, does this apply to all extract questions or just ones like the one i showed about king henry iv?
i think so?? i need to clarify this as well with my teacher - i didnt think it was but then in trials i lost marks in extension and advanced for not referring to the extract/stimulus or whatever continuously (ALTHOUGH I CANT REMEMBER THE WORDING OF THE Q AND THE EXTRACT so im not sure!!!!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)