How To Approach This Subj. (1 Viewer)

D

dude431

For all you 2003 economics students, I have a few questions (I'm currently in year 12).

First off, which textbook would give the best information (I'm aware this is very subjective)? I'm told Bulmer (sp) is the best, I currently own Riley, Excel and Dixon and found Dixon to be the best (it's simple and covers the points). i.e. If I summarise Dixon's notes based on the economics syllabus, would that be enough for the exams?

Secondly, do you need to know alot about the statistics of different things or just the basic theory? Year 11 was more or less remembering theory whereas year 12 looks to be different.

Thirdly, if you received an economics mark of +90, how often did you read/collect news about economic ideas/conditions/etc? I'm told I need to read the paper often (+3 times a week) by my teacher and collect articles, but isn't that a tad excessive?

Last edited by a moderator:

eeyore

I used Dixon's book coz that's what we were told to buy. But I thought it was good, easy to understand, with lots of examples. Our teacher photocopied some sections of Riley's too. Generally, it's alot more detailed, but you don't always need that much detail anyway.

Yes, you do need to know alot about statistics. What separates a good essay from an okay one is the amount of detail you can include in your essay. If you know the basic theory, you'll do okay- but if you know enough statistics you can give examples of the theory in relation to what's currently happening in Aust (or whichever country you're talking about).

We were told to read the newspaper regularly too, and had to do an assignment which required collecting articles/info. Although it may be tedious, it really does help. Try to read the Ross Gittins articles from the SMH (think he writes them 2 or 3 times a week) because they're really useful. It's good to collect articles because then you can make notes from them and have a collection of current stats/events and can talk about any trends which may be occurring.
Also, check the RBA website regularly because there's alot of stats and info there too.

ashwin

Creator
HSC
I used the riley book, but also had stuff from bulmer. i personally think the leading edge books r the best coz they r concise and to the point. riley has a tendency of having lots of misprints.

yeh u gotta know some stats, but just coz u put stats in an essay doesnt mean ur gonna do good. the thing is to EXPLAIN the stats, relate them to THEORY. everytime u include a stat or economic event, make sure u include the reason for doing so.

yeh collect artilces. ross gittens is the best, coz he analyses the current events using economic theory (its as if he writes specifically for hsc students). other articles by other ppl r ok, but nothing special. i suggest all the articles u collect or get given by ur teacher, orgainise them into the four topics, so u can easily refer to them come hsc time. they r good to take quotes from for essays n stuff.

hope that helps :)

i also offer eco tutition if ur interested. my mark was 94.

D

dude431

Thanks guys, it's all pretty clear to me now.

At this point in time I don't think I would require tuition, but thanks anyway.

santaslayer

HSC
dixon i thought was the best when it was complimented by his up to date articles on his webpage (or tyhe authors, publishers page)

for the hsc exam only, u should get the statistics like 2 or 3 nights before the actual eco exam on the advise line

our teacher forced us to read those stoopid articles in the smh.......helped for assessments but not rea;;y for the actual exam...advise line was heaps better

Matthew_152

I got a 90+ mark and relied completely on Dixon. Although I did also collect relevant updated statistics and articles from newspapers every so often..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)