How to become a tutor at Mq? (1 Viewer)

bimatty

HSC
Does anyone know how you can become a tutor? I've heard that, regardless of department, you need to have obtained a D, ie a minimum of 75, in the unit that you want to tutor. Is this correct, or are the requirements different?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You'll also need to be a PhD student

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
But say you go really well in a unit (ie, 80 or above) that is an elective, you can't become a tutor?
A tutor for standard tutorials? As AsyLum has said, you need to be doing a Phd regardless.

A tutor for PAL on the other hand is different. If I recall at UWS tutors were chosen from students who had done exceptionally well in those subjects (ie. Deans Honours, top 5-10%)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But say you go really well in a unit (ie, 80 or above) that is an elective, you can't become a tutor?
The university brought in rules a few years ago that stopped anyone not in a PhD from being a tutor from what I remember. And doing really well equates to 95+ not 80+. 80+ isn't even a HD yet...

bonneenuit

HSC
The university brought in rules a few years ago that stopped anyone not in a PhD from being a tutor from what I remember. And doing really well equates to 95+ not 80+. 80+ isn't even a HD yet...
True. a tutor told me PhD students are very likely to become a tutor if they want, or final year students of Actuarial Studies are possible as well.
.. so i was expecting too much when i got an HD for the subject :T

bimatty

HSC
95+ is beyond really well. How many people get that?!

So, conversely, if you are doing a PHD, and got say a credit in the unit, could you still tutor?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No it's not, and it's not meant to be 'for everyone', you're rewarded for delivering something beyond the norm.

If you're doing a PhD you will be more likely to be asked to tutor, however, if you're a shit student, you're not going to be asked to tutor regardless.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
A tip is to be on familiar terms with your tutors/lecturers/professors/head of major/head of program.
That way when you apply your name will at the least be familiar.

bimatty

HSC
No it's not, and it's not meant to be 'for everyone', you're rewarded for delivering something beyond the norm.

If you're doing a PhD you will be more likely to be asked to tutor, however, if you're a shit student, you're not going to be asked to tutor regardless.

But how do you define 'shit student'? What mark?

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually 4th year actuarial studies students can apply as a tutor.

There are couple of tutors who are 4th year last years and this years :)

D is only minimum requirement, and I don't think D is actually enough though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)