How to choose between the design majors (1 Viewer)

w_design

HSC
I'm pretty much set on moving onto something design orientated, now the big question is, which one? :confused:

I was wondering how other people are deciding this dilemma... I love them all.

Achieving the insanely high UAI/ATAR shouldn't be a problem for me if I continue my internal ranking right now to the external exams, so the only thing that matters is the design major.

I'm lost for what criteria I should use to make my decision. Can anyone explain to me, what might be more creative or more analytical than the other?

My guess is that.. Fashion is closest to art, interior design maybe the most employable? (just guessing here) visual communications look most varied and flexible in terms of careers and industrial design seems like it might require some maths.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Monika D

HSC
you should look into a bachelor of design at cofa. its really broad and covers all sorts of design subjects. uts caters for people who are interested in a specific branch of design.

jalae

HSC
I do Vis Com and I really enjoy it but then I do hear that others find first year not too great but gets better second year. I think its because it gets more specific in what branch of viscom you want to do the second year.

I'm not too sure about others except I hear often that Interior people drop out a lot and I have a friend whose changed from that to Vis Com.

The thing with Cofa I heard (I'm biased cause I go to UTS but yea :D) is that because its so broad, it could end up being a liability because you're not specifically trained in one discipline. You can take it as a good thing though it really depends what you're going for. One of my friends wants to drop vis com and do illustration at Cofa (her illustrations are AMAZING) so it really depends on what you want.

Sorry I don't know if I helped much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)