How to Choose Readings??? (1 Viewer)

bujolover

HSC
Hi guys,
So...our Extension English teacher has given us a whole bunch of readings (easily 15) for the unit we're currently doing. Most of them are more than 20 pages long. Obviously, I have better things to do than read every single word of every reading. In fact, we're not compelled to read them by our teacher, but I think I would gain personal satisfaction from putting an adequate amount of effort into this course by doing the work the teacher gives us, whether or not it's mandatory.

Is it a good idea to just read the ones that are shorter? Has anyone had a similar experience where they're stacked with 100s of pages of readings to do?

Thanks in advance! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Think of it this way, if you spread the reading out, say an hour a day, you could easily finish all these readings in two weeks (which is basically the duration of your school holidays). I think it might be beneficial to skim read some articles and see whether they are useful, they might give you in depth insight into the topic you are studying which you can then transfer onto your essays and creatives.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Maybe it'd be a good idea to look at your assessment schedule, the way topics are spread out etc. Then consider how much of your total marks and assessments are based on those texts specifically, rather than English skills in general. If you find these readings matter for assignments, exams and yearlies, then it'd be worth investing your time. Otherwise, if it's just for one task, find summaries online, ask your friends which ones they've read and look around for info, then choose the bare minimum for that assigned task.

Obviously if you do what strawberrye says and you're not compromising study for other subjects and so on, then reading them all would be optimal. Otherwise, it could be a waste of time.

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)