• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to COPE with minor noise distractions? (1 Viewer)

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
I may be in my preliminary year, but hopefully responses to my question may help out the current HSCer's.

I'm sitting in my room trying to read a book (Maestro - Peter Goldsworthy) that I was told I need to have read by next tuesday. However, my annoying and careless brother (who cares about nothing other than games...) is laughing his ass off with a friend playing Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo 64, and yeah.. he's the one that set that thing to play, even though we have a PS2...

Well I was up to page 30 and halfway down it. The next half I re-read around 10 times not taking anything in. Then I finally gave up reading. This was because I just couldn't concentrate. What do you people do in a situation like this?

And no.. asking him to shutup wouldn't work. He doesn't understand what it means..

asscookie

dork.
HSC
I relied on a pair of earplugs combined with industrial grade ear muffs to get me through the hsc. You might think it's a little extreme, but it blocked out EVERYTHING.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
just shut the door to ur room; boot up ur comp and put on some classical music; that doesn't have any trendy music [that makes u dance and stuff] and has no singing; although, just put this music on soft... or soft enough to cover the laughing.

or alternatively u can just get a cane and smack him one!! ^^
or u can just go outside and read. take ur mp3 player with you as well and put it on low volume & go into solitude so ur brain doesn't get bored.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Argonaut said:
I recommend the Kalashnikov AK-47. Or stealing the cords to his consoles if you don't want to go down for murder.
hahah
while he's out; just unplug the cables for the n64; take his game and hide it. =]

say u don't knw where it went.

btw argonaut ... do you read Hover Car Racer?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Argonaut said:
Yes I did; if this is about my username, I joined up here before I read it.
ahhh k cool.

i thought ur username was based on it or sumin! :p

P

pLuvia

Play him in Smash Bros, and make a deal with him. If he loses to you, take the game away from him :D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
GaDaMIt said:
I may be in my preliminary year, but hopefully responses to my question may help out the current HSCer's.

I'm sitting in my room trying to read a book (Maestro - Peter Goldsworthy) that I was told I need to have read by next tuesday. However, my annoying and careless brother (who cares about nothing other than games...) is laughing his ass off with a friend playing Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo 64, and yeah.. he's the one that set that thing to play, even though we have a PS2...

Well I was up to page 30 and halfway down it. The next half I re-read around 10 times not taking anything in. Then I finally gave up reading. This was because I just couldn't concentrate. What do you people do in a situation like this?

And no.. asking him to shutup wouldn't work. He doesn't understand what it means..
psht jus hit him hahah. or jus go to a library to read it

HSC
earplugs don't work for me - i have a kid bro as well

but by pluggin ur ears w/ur fingers, the noise gets kept out pretty well.

then if u kinda silently mouth the words as u read, everythin' gets through pretty well. though that parts not necessary.......

gL

cheers
the.chosen.one

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I was going to suggest going to a local library but not sure if it's open at night, I'm assuming your bro plays the N64 at night while you're reading/working.

A few other techniques/strategies I can think of now:

1) If the tv has one of those childlock systems and your bro is significantly not smart, turn it on.
2) Get as far away from the room where the N64 console is, put on ear muffs/phones or something to cover your ears.
3) Call mum/dad if they're available and ask for assistance.
4) Ask your bro politely to turn the volume down.

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
do the same to him when he is in yr11/12 and he asks you to stfu you can throw it back at him haha.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
do the same to him when he is in yr11/12 and he asks you to stfu you can throw it back at him haha.
That doesn't solve his current problem. Instead it's known as revenge. But still it's something to be looking forward to repaying back the inconsiderate behaviour. XD

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
or you can just "accidently" step on the carriage while its lying around. thus it would teacher him a lesson not to leave things on the floor ! win win =p

M.I.A-187

HSC
I suggest you tell mom that he and his home boys are screwing your study up. I mean its ya study and your mom should take appopriate action to make sure you sucess at it. Other then that take ear plug then lock your room.

Alternate option include: Grab a big book and with full force smash his nose into a bloody plub...wait that stops nothing it just make him cry but next time he be sure to shut up ;).

a8o

HSC
got a local library? now would be a good time to go, it would be dead quiet, compared to when you probably will try to go; in the leadup to exams.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
I tried getting angry with my sister when she started that shit during my HSC, but she was a lot bigger than me and I'd always end up second best.

The industrial strength ear muffs are a HUGE improvement on the ear plugs.

I actually ended up moving out after a few months of not being able to take it.

P

pLuvia

asscookie said:
I tried getting angry with my sister when she started that shit during my HSC, but she was a lot bigger than me and I'd always end up second best.

The industrial strength ear muffs are a HUGE improvement on the ear plugs.

I actually ended up moving out after a few months of not being able to take it.
lol, bit extreme :p

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
earmuffs. funky fluffy pink ones you for darling! :p hahaha joking about the fluf, and pink, and funk...but earmuffs are awesome

tennille

HSC
GaDaMIt said:

Is it possible to go to a library and study or possible study outide in your backyard?

If not, you might need to learn how to block out the noise. Maybe in your spare time, if you are reading a book out of enjoyment, read it in a place where people are talking so you can learn to block out noise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)