How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate (3 Viewers)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

Is there some way to improve on my essay skills or english related skills besides writing essays and having a harsh marker?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

Is there some way to improve on my essay skills or english related skills besides writing essays and having a harsh marker?
What specific English skills do you wish to develop? Have a look at the threads below
http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/317741/vocabulary.html (improving/expanding your English vocabulary)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/257183/advanced-english-essay-writing-guide.html (Advanced English essay writing guide)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/296528/guide-creative-writing.html (guide to improving creative writing)

Hope this helps, essentially the best way to improve your English skills is to practice and to develop a passion for English-by reading more widely, by writing more, by thinking creatively and critically on a consistent basis, your skills will definitely improve-but CONSISTENT EFFORT over time is crucial to improving in anything-including English:) Hope this helps-any more questions, feel free to ask:)

grace_26

HSC

My top tips on how to STUDY during the school term

1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

This is great advice, but how often do you suggest students in yr 11 should study per week, and for how long should each study session take?
your advice would be much appreciated

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr...

1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

This is great advice, but how often do you suggest students in yr 11 should study per week, and for how long should each study session take?
20 hours should be fine :).

Blocks of two or three hours are more efficient as , if you go past that you will be tired and lethargic..

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I actually followed the same study pattern throughout all of my years at high school, particularly strictly followed it during my senior years, so all of my study tips applies equally to Preliminary and HSC study patterns. How long each study session takes will depend on how long your concentration span is and the task(s) you are planning on completing, usually 45 minute-1 hour study sessions are ideal concentration span.

I really can't suggest you a definitive time of how many hours students in year 11 should study-it depends on their extra-curricular commitments, how quickly they absorb new information, any tutoring engagements and just how well they want to do in school, but I would say as a rough guide, about 2-3 hours per weekday, and 5-6 hours per day on the weekends if possible, so you are looking at around 20 hours a week of study minimum, but again, I am sure there will be a much heated debate about how it is the QUALITY of study sessions and not the QUANTITY that matters, I just suggested what I personally found worked for me, so by all means, you don't need to study as much and you can get the same or even better results by adopting a study method and schedule that is optimal for you.

Hope this helps:)

Last edited:

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
This thread is heaven sent, best thing I've read on BOS

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

This thread is heaven sent, best thing I've read on BOS
Thanks for the compliment-you are too kind:). Remember guys and girls, if you have any questions on studying for senior years, whether it be general or subject specific, feel free to ask:)

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC

Strawberrye, you are probably one of the most awesome posters on this site, I don't think I have seen you do one post that has no meaning or importance, or is helpful in some way! Thanks so much for the info and encouragement! Good luck for your post-school life :)

This quote of yours - "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you" - sticks in my head now, and its truly good advice. I think I will make it my guiding quote for my HSC year :)

Thanks again - you deserve to be made supreme moderator!

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Strawberrye, you are probably one of the most awesome posters on this site, I don't think I have seen you do one post that has no meaning or importance, or is helpful in some way! Thanks so much for the info and encouragement! Good luck for your post-school life :)

This quote of yours - "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you" - sticks in my head now, and its truly good advice. I think I will make it my guiding quote for my HSC year :)

Thanks again - you deserve to be made supreme moderator!
Technically, university is just another form of school-so I am still going to be a 'school' student in this sense-since within both high school and university the main aim is education to empower the individuals to have more choices to shape the future they desire. I never knew I would be inspirational-thanks for the praise. Thank you for your kind wishes:)I feel truly humbled by your kind comments. I am not even a moderator yet-have a very long way to go if I were to be a supreme moderator. If you have any questions throughout this year, please feel free to ask:)-all the best:)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC

What do you actually define as 'study time'? Lately I find all I have time for is assessment tasks and nothing else. Half yearlies are coming up, too, so it's quite concerning that this is happening. How can I ensure I am prepared for exams properly?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

What do you actually define as 'study time'? Lately I find all I have time for is assessment tasks and nothing else. Half yearlies are coming up, too, so it's quite concerning that this is happening. How can I ensure I am prepared for exams properly?
I define study time as consolidating content learnt through practising questions that is not assigned homework, it is normal to feel like you only have time to be prepared for assessment tasks and little else, perhaps elaborating on when your exams are and how you have progressed towards each subject exam/assessment task would enable me to make more specific suggestions on how you can spent your remaining time in the most effective way. To ensure you prepare for exams properly, you need to make sure you have a solid understanding of syllabus dot points and the INTERCONNECTIONS between these syllabus dot points, you need to be doing PAST PAPERS under EXAM CONDITIONS and mark your own paper or get a teacher to mark it, and you need to consistently evaluate your past and present mistakes to minimise your chance of not making the same mistakes, and you need to practice exam time management as well to ensure you know how to manage exam nerves. Hope this helps a bit:)

Fade Away

HSC

Thanks. What about motivation? I have minimal motivation for english since when it comes to english my brain freezes

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks. What about motivation? I have minimal motivation for english since when it comes to english my brain freezes
Can you elaborate a bit more? Why have you developed such an attitude towards English? What part of English does your brain freezes-when you have to do essay writing/creative writing? What English modules are you studying this year?

neysta

HSC

I want to do summaries for all my subjects but how do I do them for Visual Arts?

beaubrah

HSC

How do you write notes for physics. Like I do notes of the syllabus then I do dot point physics questions then I do practice exams. Is that the right way

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I want to do summaries for all my subjects but how do I do them for Visual Arts?
I personally didn't find it necessary to do summaries for Visual Arts, however, if you were to do summary notes for Visual Arts, I would advise you to focus on including information such as the artist's name, the type of artist and the time period their works were dominantly composed within, one or two major art work titles, and focus on writing a paragraph or two on the following categories 1)Conceptual Framework(what's the interrelationships between the artist, the artwork, world and audience, including how does the artist engage the audience in the artworks? How is the artworks promoted? What contextual societal values does the artwork explores? etc), Practice(consider elaborating on both the material and conceptual practice of the artist) and Frames(consider the dominant frame the artist is mainly working within). A very good guide to give you some ideas of what are the sort of things you can answer for each three main categories is Rumbleroar's HSC Visual Arts guide: http://community.boredofstudies.org...-guide-frames-practice-conceptual-frames.html
Hope this helps a bit:)

How do you write notes for physics. Like I do notes of the syllabus then I do dot point physics questions then I do practice exams. Is that the right way

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR
To be honest, there really isn't a 'right way' or 'wrong way' to study for Physics, and for that matter, this applies to all of your subjects, in my sections on my tips on acing science subjects I have basically integrated my tips for studying Physics already, I think in general making notes based on syllabus dot points and practising questions to consolidate your knowledge is very good practice, sometimes getting your science teacher to mark your responses to past exam papers wouldn't be a bad idea-and you should also make sure you are attempting and MARKING your attempts at completing questions from Physics textbooks. Hope you are finding/have found a way that works for you in terms of studying and stick to it throughout your senior studies. Hope this helps a bit:)

Constantine

HSC

Manual bump!
Dropping by once again for some motivational words.
Thanks once again Mei!

:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Manual bump!
Dropping by once again for some motivational words.
Thanks once again Mei!

:)
Hi Constantine,
Thank you for your appreciation of my efforts, I am really grateful that my advice are able to be of some assistance. Remember at the end of the day, you are your own most powerful motivator-meaning the best source of motivation will always come from pursuing your dreams and passions rather than parental expectations and peer approval. May you be able to have no regrets at the conclusion of your HSC and define your own results. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask on this thread. All the best for this year:)

mrpali

HSC

I just want to ask a question and i know this is general but it is really getting on my nerves..

1. How do you find time each day to study for all subjects? i am finding that i can't really study for all my subjects because the work load is a lot (school and tutoring) and i miss out on like 1-2 subject studies a day :(

2. How do you manage writing syllabus notes for subjects and doing questions at the same time? for me i usually got bombarded with homework for physics and chemistry and by the time i finish my h/w i wouldn't have time to write my syllabus notes.. can someone tell me how to overcome these two things????? THANKSSS :)))

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I just want to ask a question and i know this is general but it is really getting on my nerves..

1. How do you find time each day to study for all subjects? i am finding that i can't really study for all my subjects because the work load is a lot (school and tutoring) and i miss out on like 1-2 subject studies a day :(

2. How do you manage writing syllabus notes for subjects and doing questions at the same time? for me i usually got bombarded with homework for physics and chemistry and by the time i finish my h/w i wouldn't have time to write my syllabus notes.. can someone tell me how to overcome these two things????? THANKSSS :)))
1. Making to do lists are always helpful, as well as prioritising which subjects are the most important to study for on any particular date-based on a consideration of what assignments are on etc. I don't actually study all subjects in one day, I usually just focus on one or two. Remember, learning to prioritise is the key to success.

2. I usually leave writing syllabus notes on the weekend, I don't do both on the same time, I write my syllabus notes before doing questions. You can try to finish some of your physics and chemistry homework in class or at school, and if the teacher don't check it and if you don't consider it as helpful to assisting your understanding, you don't need to do every single piece of homework assigned-after all, they don't count towards your assessment mark. Again, prioritisation is the key to making enough time to study for all of your subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)