How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

You are such smar

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

You are such smar
You are too kind:) Everyone can be a smart cookie and for all I know-everyone is a smart cookie in different ways-they just need to discover their 'smartness':)

Tazayneem

HSC

If you don't mind me asking, what was your atar ?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

If you don't mind me asking, what was your atar ?
Does this really matter? It is 99+, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't define me:)-try your best and define your own results:)

Last edited:

neysta

HSC

Do you have any yr 11 summaries I could use as resources?

ATAR goal 90+
Advanced English, 2u Maths, Chemistry, Biology, PDHPE & Visual Arts

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Do you have any yr 11 summaries I could use as resources?

ATAR goal 90+
Advanced English, 2u Maths, Chemistry, Biology, PDHPE & Visual Arts
You might want to check this website out: http://hscnotes.weebly.com/notes3.html (I highly doubt you will be able to find summaries for PDHPE, Visual Arts and Advanced English though)-I would recommend you to do your own personal summaries for these subjects.

seerat

HSC
N/A

hi i am looking for an atar aboue 90
my subjects are
general maths
standard english
business studies
PDHPE
physics
chemistry

do my subjects scale bad
and is it impossible for me to get an atar around 95

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

hi i am looking for an atar aboue 90
my subjects are
general maths
standard english
business studies
PDHPE
physics
chemistry

do my subjects scale bad
and is it impossible for me to get an atar around 95
I don't do ATAR estimates nor am I an expert in subject scaling- you might want to make a thread on bored of studies to ask:)-my belief is you can get any ATAR with any combination of subjects-best wished for you to ace your HSC studies:)

seerat

HSC
N/A

thankyou very much

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

thankyou very much
No worries:) If you have any questions relating to any aspects of your senior studies, just ask:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Below are some more tips for acing science exams:)

My top tips in maximising marks for multiple choice questions:

1)Make sure you read the question carefully-some multiple choice can be quite hard-don't presume every question is easy.

2)Make sure that you eliminate the choices that are definitely not the answer, and decide on the MOST APPROPRIATE and ACCURATE choice that answers the question

3)It is always advisable that if you have considered a multiple choice answer for an appropriate amount of time, that near the end of the exam, unless you are absolutely confident, don't change your answer.

My top tips to maximise your marks in short and long responses:

1)Make sure you allocate a sufficient amount of time to answer the question according to the marks given and the time you have to do the exam. You may choose to use a pencil to make a rough plan on the points you need to include in the margins before you start writing your answers in pen.

2)Make sure you read the question as least TWICE. DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT DIRECTLY RELEVANT TO THE QUESTION. Only information directly answering the question will be awarded marks.

3)Make sure you write legibly in the exam, teachers cannot award marks to what they can't read.

4)Include relevant BALANCED chemical equations and clearly labelled diagrams when appropriate to support your answer. Make sure you explain the relevance of the equation and or/diagram you are including qualitatively in your answer

5)Make sure you don't write an excessive amount, the lines allocated to a question is usually a good indication of the expected length. When you keep writing excessively, you risk REPEATING YOUR POINTS as well as possibly CONTRADICTING yourself which results in no marks awarded.

6)Use a table format where appropriate to answer the question-use the clearest format possible to present RELEVANT INFORMATION to get your marks.

7)The most IMPORTANT tip is to make sure you are answering what the exam verb requires you, for example in an EVALUATE question, you will not be able to get full marks if you don't make a final, personal judgment based on the issues you have evaluated for the question. Go to board of studies website and make sure you REMEMBER and know how to apply the definitions of the exam verbs commonly used.

My top tips for answering CALCULATION QUESTIONS:

1)Make sure you read the question several times.

2)Record down all the quantities known and the quantities that needs to be find/determined

3)Make sure you include relevant BALANCED chemical equations where appropriate. This also comes from the need to remember general reactions, for example, a complete combustion reaction often has carbon dioxide and water as the products of the reaction, acid-base (neutralisation reaction) yields the product of a salt and water etc.

4)MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR FULL WORKING OUT, depending on the marks of the question, you may not get full marks just for an answer, you need to show the PROCESS of reaching your answer in a coherent fashion. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE CHEMICAL FORMULA you are using and the substitution of the given quantities into the formula.

5)Make sure that the decimal places in your answer does not exceed the smallest number of decimal places in the question. Also make sure you retain exact values throughout your calculation-can use the memory button in your calculator, only round off at the end.

6)Again, it is important that you don't use too many arrows to direct the continuation of your answer in various places. Try to work from top to down, and if a qualitative conclusion needs to be drawn from quantitative calculations, make sure you do that. Make sure your writing is legible so that teachers can award marks for the knowledge you have shown.

7)Make sure you use SI units in all your calculations. If the units in the question is not SI, make sure you convert it into SI units, and you should include relevant units in your answer when appropriate.

Constantine

HSC

Heyys Mei :)
I have a question if you don't mind in relation to your own hsc experience with consistent performances.

As a year eleven student I was in the top three for five subjects and the other two in the top ten instead, and consistently achieved the top band results for every single assessment. This year I'm not having so much luck however. Idk if it's my own fault (not studying as hard) or not pushing myself as much since it's the final year and all whilst everyone has stepped up in their game...

Either way now I'm only in the top five for four subjects. In particular, in the one subject I actually dropped down to the 30s (from previously being in the top five) because this year my results hasn't been as consistent. Granted we've only had two assessments so far but the huge drop is due to one of them being a speaking task which is my weak point but it was worth so much more than the writing task which I actually did pretty well in.

So yeah... I'm feeling pretty down atm.
From your experience did you know anyone experience a big jump/drop? Are consistent results harder to achieve in year 12? and what advice would you give when it comes to this?

Thank you!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Heyys Mei :)
I have a question if you don't mind in relation to your own hsc experience with consistent performances.

As a year eleven student I was in the top three for five subjects and the other two in the top ten instead, and consistently achieved the top band results for every single assessment. This year I'm not having so much luck however. Idk if it's my own fault (not studying as hard) or not pushing myself as much since it's the final year and all whilst everyone has stepped up in their game...

Either way now I'm only in the top five for four subjects. In particular, in the one subject I actually dropped down to the 30s (from previously being in the top five) because this year my results hasn't been as consistent. Granted we've only had two assessments so far but the huge drop is due to one of them being a speaking task which is my weak point but it was worth so much more than the writing task which I actually did pretty well in.

So yeah... I'm feeling pretty down atm.
From your experience did you know anyone experience a big jump/drop? Are consistent results harder to achieve in year 12? and what advice would you give when it comes to this?

Thank you!
Luck doesn't really come into play to achieve the top results. I do understand the difficulty if you have been achieving at the top of your school for the past few years and it is easy to burn out. I could strongly suggest that you ignore everyone else and focus on yourself. You are competing against yourself, improving against yourself, competing with other people will simply be an endless pursuit that is meaningless. Consistency is the key to achieving good HSC results, it was the one word that got me throughout the year, you have to try your absolute best to achieve consistent result. If you have any future speaking tasks, please feel free to check out my thread on how you can ace your oral presentations:) http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/318818/how-ace-oral-presentations.html

I did experience a big jump and drop, I remembered in year 11 I got less than 50% for my first Maths Extension One task, you can imagine how 'down' I felt, however, I used it as a motivation to keep going and eventually ranked second internally. I remembered in year 12, because of performing extremely poorly for a chemistry practical task, I was basically in the bottom half of the cohort, but because my results for the other assessment tasks were quite good, it reduced the impact of that assessment task on my overall internal rank. Consistent results are hard to achieve in year 12-but that actually goes for any year you are in. I would strongly recommend you to set yourself consistent goals in terms of results you wish to achieve and try your best to achieve them, and compete only against yourself, never against others:)

Remember, learn to define your own results, never let your results define you:) I wish you all the best for the rest of this year, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask on this thread:)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad

Luck doesn't really come into play to achieve the top results. I do understand the difficulty if you have been achieving at the top of your school for the past few years and it is easy to burn out. I could strongly suggest that you ignore everyone else and focus on yourself. You are competing against yourself, improving against yourself, competing with other people will simply be an endless pursuit that is meaningless. Consistency is the key to achieving good HSC results, it was the one word that got me throughout the year, you have to try your absolute best to achieve consistent result. If you have any future speaking tasks, please feel free to check out my thread on how you can ace your oral presentations:) http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/318818/how-ace-oral-presentations.html

I did experience a big jump and drop, I remembered in year 11 I got less than 50% for my first Maths Extension One task, you can imagine how 'down' I felt, however, I used it as a motivation to keep going and eventually ranked second internally. I remembered in year 12, because of performing extremely poorly for a chemistry practical task, I was basically in the bottom half of the cohort, but because my results for the other assessment tasks were quite good, it reduced the impact of that assessment task on my overall internal rank. Consistent results are hard to achieve in year 12-but that actually goes for any year you are in. I would strongly recommend you to set yourself consistent goals in terms of results you wish to achieve and try your best to achieve them, and compete only against yourself, never against others:)

Remember, learn to define your own results, never let your results define you:) I wish you all the best for the rest of this year, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask on this thread:)
Completely agree.

Constantine

HSC

Luck doesn't really come into play to achieve the top results. [...] I wish you all the best for the rest of this year, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask on this thread:)
Thanks for taking the time to reply! Since typing the post it's safe to say I have almost completely come to terms with my results in that particular subject. I've recently received my my report and found I've actually improved all of my subjects -- all within the top ten -- with the exception of two. I dropped two rankings in one subject (luckily still in the top five) and of course there's the ranked 30th something subject. So it's actually not that bad, in fact better than expected (I literally thought it was going to be the end of me) but no doubt about it, it can definitely be better.

I will work harder from now on to ensure achieving my usual results in the rest of the assessments.
Hopefully I will have some good news to share in the upcoming future!

Thanks once again Mei!
:)

ShadowLighte

HSC
Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

Whenever I feel lacking of motivation I keep coming back to this thread. I read it over and over and somehow it manages to motivate and inspire me to study every time. Though I don't know how, I'm really thankful it exists.

Thank you Mei ^_^

itsBozza

HSC
Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

Hey Mei, i apologise if this question has been answered before. Our half yearly's aren't far away so can you tell us how to deal with large amounts of pressure and stress especially for those who go to tutors as my parents are expecting good results. i currently try to study everyday ever since the the holiday started but im not too sure if im wasting my time,i wrote some notes for economics, doing some questions i found in the text book for chemistry and maths, however physics i tend to look tutorials online and read from a text book. For english my teacher send us a sample essay question which i already done but im not too sure if its good enough but i sent it to her through email and is waiting for feedback. any advice and i would be extremely grateful for your time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)