How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate (2 Viewers)

Winter_Soldier104

HSC
N/A
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

how do you revise for each of these subject efficiently:
-Chemistry
-Biology
-English
-Maths and extension 1
Thank you :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

how do you revise for each of these subject efficiently:
-Chemistry
-Biology
-English
-Maths and extension 1
Thank you :)
All these study tips for the above subjects have been integrated into mostly the first page of my study guide (essentially the first page of this thread)-but also on successive pages, taking the time to read through them and copy and pasting it for your own future use will basically give you the answer to this question. I would need to copy almost the whole study guide to answer this question, I think it would be far easier for you to read through it. Best wishes:)

freaksandgoats

HSC

these tips are absolutely amazing! thankyou so much!

todonepanda

HSC
does anyone else struggle not to cram study before an exam? And if so how do you cope . also this thread is probably one of the most helpful threads ever

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
does anyone else struggle not to cram study before an exam? And if so how do you cope . also this thread is probably one of the most helpful threads ever
I think studying before hand really helps, trying to balance assignments and need to revise regularly at least once a week for each subject. Glad you found this thread helpful :) But if you do end up cramming, make sure you cram the important/essential stuff, and not the really detailed, obscure stuff that is unlikely ever to come up in the exam, and to know the important stuff from the not so important-requires you to listen to the teacher during lesson-they regularly give you clue on what you are going to be tested on.

hibaa1945

HSC
This thread is probably one of the most motivational things I've ever read! :)

I'm a huge procrastinator. I'll sit down to study and seconds later I'm on my phone for an hour (even if I've turned it off and locked it away!)
Any tips on self-motivation and handling procrastination?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread is probably one of the most motivational things I've ever read! :)

I'm a huge procrastinator. I'll sit down to study and seconds later I'm on my phone for an hour (even if I've turned it off and locked it away!)
Any tips on self-motivation and handling procrastination?
Hey hibaa1945,
Thanks for the compliments :) Glad to know this thread has inspired you in some way. I am going to keep this nice. short and simple and give you one tip-you need to exercise your own self-discipline and be willing to sacrifice for things that really matter to you-in this case, it might be an intense desire to get into a particular uni course or get a particular ATAR-and start small (i.e. 20 minute concentration span at one time, with 5 minute break, and gradually increasing it)-at the end of the day it is all down to you. You can procrastinate for an hour or you can use it to study productively. And also study when you are the most productive (i.e. whether it be morning, afternoon or night) the most difficult things so you can absorb better and at your most optimal to tackle it. At the end of the day, what you do define what you get, so set a goal, be dedicated to believing that goal is meaningful to you, and make the sacrifices you need now so you can enjoy the rewards later. I know it is easier said than done, but believe me, YOU CAN DO IT-if you have enough belief, dedication and commitment to that goal (watch some motivational youtube videos-->this actually kinda work for me whenever I deviated and wanted to just do other things):)

And you can always reward yourself in studying things that are easier or that you like after studying things you don't like/harder-->this makes you increase the amount of study you actually do without increasing resentment to it, but no matter what, let yourself do something you like everyday-it will keep you motivated (for me, I watched at least like an hour of drama or 90 minutes max everyday during my year 12-->cause I love dramas lol-I still do, three years into a combined science/law degree). Anyways, the main point is, do what you love, aim for what you want, and sacrifice to maximise your chance to achieve where you want to be in your life. Best wishes :)

lypoon

HSC
Thank you.

I am confident in doing 10 units only and achieving good ATAR but my teacher/parents all think that's too risky. What do you think?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you.

I am confident in doing 10 units only and achieving good ATAR but my teacher/parents all think that's too risky. What do you think?
It is your HSC-decide it yourself. Your teacher/parents have done the HSC a long time ago, and hence their opinion should be taken with moderation-->you know your own capabilities the best and if you are confident, go for it. Risk is predicated on a calculation of probability, just because they think it is probable doesn't mean it is actually probable, because they are NOT YOU. Have confidence in yourself and go for it (just don't regret your choice whatever that may be).

tazmim

HSC
any tips on how to study when youre physically sick? Such as migraines, sore throats, etc...

love your advice
i ended up screwing up 2 exams and the ICAS for Yr 11 cus of it, and the Yr 10 screwed up a project and didnt give my best at Maths (though I was still top 10 in the class, somehow)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
any tips on how to study when youre physically sick? Such as migraines, sore throats, etc...

love your advice
i ended up screwing up 2 exams and the ICAS for Yr 11 cus of it, and the Yr 10 screwed up a project and didnt give my best at Maths (though I was still top 10 in the class, somehow)
To be honest, when you are sick, particularly if it is a headache, cold and what not-make resting your top priority, don't even think about studying, just sleep and rest and you will get better soon to study efficiently. As for sore throat, drink plenty of water and that should be fine. That's why you need to keep regular physical exercise and eat well and treat yourself well-to avoid screwing up exams because you are physically unwell. Don't try to do an allnighter or anything close to it when you are sick-it makes it worse-your health ALWAYS COMES FIRST BEFORE STUDYING.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
To be honest, when you are sick, particularly if it is a headache, cold and what not-make resting your top priority, don't even think about studying, just sleep and rest and you will get better soon to study efficiently. As for sore throat, drink plenty of water and that should be fine. That's why you need to keep regular physical exercise and eat well and treat yourself well-to avoid screwing up exams because you are physically unwell. Don't try to do an allnighter or anything close to it when you are sick-it makes it worse-your health ALWAYS COMES FIRST BEFORE STUDYING.
Serious question Strawberrye but can't you watch educational videos when you are sick and lying down in bed?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Serious question Strawberrye but can't you watch educational videos when you are sick and lying down in bed?
But often when you are studying for exams that's assuming you are revising content rather than learning content-which requires notes rather than videos-of course I don't deny there is a possibility people can do that, but usually when I am sick, watching or doing anything just kind of strains my limited consciousness, so I tend to prefer rest-you can argue that perhaps you could listen to your own recordings of your study notes if you made any when you are sick-since you can just close your eyes and listen, but I just prefer straight out rest so that I can get well sooner and get back to work earlier. Each to their own-depends on the person really-I am open to the idea it might work, but since I was asked for my opinion, I just said from my own experience, and of course, as always, I welcome people to share what their ideas are as well, it is just that this never worked for me (and I wasn't really an education video person in high school-I guess notes was most of the time good enough for me-so never really popped up into my mind lol).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
But often when you are studying for exams that's assuming you are revising content rather than learning content-which requires notes rather than videos-of course I don't deny there is a possibility people can do that, but usually when I am sick, watching or doing anything just kind of strains my limited consciousness, so I tend to prefer rest-you can argue that perhaps you could listen to your own recordings of your study notes if you made any when you are sick-since you can just close your eyes and listen, but I just prefer straight out rest so that I can get well sooner and get back to work earlier. Each to their own-depends on the person really-I am open to the idea it might work, but since I was asked for my opinion, I just said from my own experience, and of course, as always, I welcome people to share what their ideas are as well, it is just that this never worked for me (and I wasn't really an education video person in high school-I guess notes was most of the time good enough for me-so never really popped up into my mind lol).
Makes sense now

Thanks Strawberrye

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

For science based subjects, when it comes to studying are you either making notes or doing practice questions? Is there anything else you should be doing during that time to improve in science?
If so, what ratio would it be between the 2? Should the majority of your time be on practice questions?

Because I found this year I did a lot of note making, but very little to no practice questions and I'm not so sure it was very effective.

Thanks

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

For science based subjects, when it comes to studying are you either making notes or doing practice questions? Is there anything else you should be doing during that time to improve in science?
If so, what ratio would it be between the 2? Should the majority of your time be on practice questions?

Because I found this year I did a lot of note making, but very little to no practice questions and I'm not so sure it was very effective.

Thanks
Yeah, I have warned people before but don't spend so much time studying notes and not enough time to practice questions, to be honest, I don't have an exact ratio, like I don't quantify everything I do in the HSC, I was more of like depending on how much time I have left person-it really is up to you, if you don't want to make notes or do practice questions, you can try explaining science concepts to people who don't do science-which really helps, because if you can explain it in a simple enough way that a non-science person would understand, you would need to have a pretty good, straightforward understanding of the concept yourself-that's why sometimes I practice explaining concepts to myself in the mirror sometimes.

So moral of story-do less note making-or more efficient note-making and make time to do practice questions-PARTICULARLY UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS-because that is how you know you can learn to be selective about WHAT PARTS OF YOUR NOTES ARE RELEVANT AND HOW TO EXPRESS RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE UNDER EXAM PRESSURE. The better you can master this-the higher the likelihood you will maximise your marks in any subject, be it science or otherwise-Best of wishes for the HSC

Winter_Soldier104

HSC
N/A

Luck doesn't really come into play to achieve the top results. I do understand the difficulty if you have been achieving at the top of your school for the past few years and it is easy to burn out. I could strongly suggest that you ignore everyone else and focus on yourself. You are competing against yourself, improving against yourself, competing with other people will simply be an endless pursuit that is meaningless. Consistency is the key to achieving good HSC results, it was the one word that got me throughout the year, you have to try your absolute best to achieve consistent result. If you have any future speaking tasks, please feel free to check out my thread on how you can ace your oral presentations:) http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/318818/how-ace-oral-presentations.html

I did experience a big jump and drop, I remembered in year 11 I got less than 50% for my first Maths Extension One task, you can imagine how 'down' I felt, however, I used it as a motivation to keep going and eventually ranked second internally. I remembered in year 12, because of performing extremely poorly for a chemistry practical task, I was basically in the bottom half of the cohort, but because my results for the other assessment tasks were quite good, it reduced the impact of that assessment task on my overall internal rank. Consistent results are hard to achieve in year 12-but that actually goes for any year you are in. I would strongly recommend you to set yourself consistent goals in terms of results you wish to achieve and try your best to achieve them, and compete only against yourself, never against others:)

Remember, learn to define your own results, never let your results define you:) I wish you all the best for the rest of this year, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask on this thread:)
Wow, thank you so much for this motivational story, again, thank you! You're the best

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Wow, thank you so much for this motivational story, again, thank you! You're the best
Anytime, hope you find your source of inspiration and goal and achieve your HSC goals :)

mmm345

HSC

i am just about to start yr12 after a motivated yr11 and am a bit unsure. When people state that they do a certain amount of study per day (say 3hrs), what are they doing in this period involving study. What other than notes are they doing on a daily basis. What types of study are used on a daily basis as all i have been doing is when i finish a topic in a subject is just to write notes for that topic over the space of 2 nights.??. What study activites or tasks can be utilised other than notes and where do internal assesment tasks fit into this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)