How to find the equation of the graph? (1 Viewer)

fancyyyyyy <3

HSC
Hi everyone I was working through some past papers to practice for my upcoming ext 1 maths exam when i came upon this question. I think it has something to do with graphing relations which i have learnt only how to sketch in but not find the equation of. Much help is appreciated!

Annotation 2020-04-19 183158.png

Walleeee

HSC
I would probably go about it using the process of elimination, you can see that the vertical asymptotes comply with all of the options as the denominator is zero at both x= 2 and negative 2, but we also know that the graph goes through the point (0,0) so you would test what would happen if we subbed in x=0, b and c would give 1/2 and -1/2, that leaves us with a or d, now there are probably many ways to tell but you could just test values on both sides if we put 1 in for option a the numerator would be positive and the denominator negative, leaving us with a negative value, and if -1 was put in both the numerator and denominator would be negative, leaving you with a positive value, and you'll see that this complies with the graph. So the answer should be A.
Hope that makes sense!
Good luck for your paper :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)