how to find the y-intercept (1 Viewer)

Crizzy

HSC
This is from the Excel general maths book (p93, question 42).
Anyway the question is find the equation of the line of best fit from example 43. (which is a graph)

The gradient is 6/7, which i understand, but the y-intercept is 7, and i don't know how they got 7.

Is it just by looking at the graph is seeing where is cuts the y axis or is there a formula where i can use to sub in the gradient to find the y-intercept?

:confused: :burn: :confused: :burn:

HSC
what's the whole question?

yeah y intercept is where a function cuts the y axis. you can find it if you have an equation in the form ax + by + c = 0 and you make x = 0 and solve for y and get the y intercept.

Last edited:

Crizzy

HSC
watatank said:
what's the whole question?

yeah y intercept is where a function cuts the y axis. you can find it if you have an equation in the form ax + by + c = 0 and you make x = 0.

sorry but i dont get you. That is the whole question. "Find the equation of the line of best fit in example 43.

Example 43 is a graph and its easy to see the gradient but i dont know the y-intercept.

HSC
i don't have the book in front of me so i got no idea.

yeah if you're just looking at a graph then the y intercept is where the function cuts the y axis, as i have said. which you can see immediately, easier to find than the gradient since that is rise/run.

freakyzu

HSC
the y- intercept is, in the equation, the single number : y = mx + b
b is the y-intecept

Jonny90

HSC
Oh shit u really wanna noe???!! well if u wanna find Y, say the alphabet out loud and u will come across the letter Y, F*ck u r stupid..... its between x and z but seriously to find Y-intercept u must intercept the ball from X and smack the f*ck out of Z and score the try under the palm tree

y = mx + b therfore z = i f*cked you up.

Hope this helps.... Peace

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)