How to get a band 6 in biology (2 Viewers)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I referenced from multiple sources (no, not Wikipedia--I hadn't heard of it back in 2005), and was lucky to get a decent ranking in a cohort that was motivated to do well (so my moderated assessment mark was over 90).

But in terms of the exam, I just made sure I answered the question with your question verbs--describe, evaluate, discuss, analyse, etc, as fully as required. Also take a look at the mark allocations--some "heavier" verbs may actually have less weighting than another equally "heavy" verb, e.g. analyse is 5 marks, while evaluate is 7 marks. This is good for keeping time--don't waste all your time on small weighted questions when you could at least attempt and try to scab part marks here and there on a bigger question.

And finally, it's not hard to get a band 6 in bio if you accumulate enough marks. So if you're stumped by a big marker (like I was in the 2005 paper--take a look at that 8 marker!), just write anything....everything!....that sounds remotely related to the question. Chances are, you'll get a mark or two and it's all accumulative anyway.

However, if you're looking for a higher band 6, know everything! (what I wrote above got me a 92 or a 93 overall, can't remember)

goooooooogly123

HSC
i was wondering if anyone could help me find past trial papers for biology I AM DESPERATE thankyou so much:)

borkis04

You have been blocked.
Arse of the World, Syd being the arsehole :D
HSC
To get a band 6 in bio....do the opposite to what i did....HSC didnt hit me in reality...i enjoyed it and found it interesting which is why im doing it at uni ay...

1) You should have started studying a fair while ago for the trials since u have a few subjects to study for too

2) Write detailed notes and if you simply don't entirely understand a term or a dot-point, read another definition or explanation from another source instead of wirting down a definition you don't actually know.

3)Write detailed notes for each dot-point...and then summarize...and summarize again so u can pretty much simplify each dot-point down to a single keyword or a phrase.

4) Time yourself in the trial...if you know everything you will finish with heaps of time to spare and then perfect the timing in the HSC exam by going through as many practice papers as you can eh!

5)Good luck

Alex

Ahmed A

[JLS.MCH]
HSC
my friend who is a top band 6 student typed up bio notes. i was a band 4 student but wen i startd using his notes i shot up to band 6 :D
i think hes put them up on this website :)

beentherdunthat

HSC
Ahmed A said:
my friend who is a top band 6 student typed up bio notes. i was a band 4 student but wen i startd using his notes i shot up to band 6 :D
i think hes put them up on this website :)
lol Here's the link for his notes http://community.boredofstudies.org/3042404/post-21.html

I also got band 6 for Bio, but without typed notes, so that theory doesn't hold (as much anyway) :p lol.

But Bio is easy. It's all a regurgitating process. It's not like Chem, with the calculations and stuff. It's just a little more learning, a little less maths. It's a good subject, and most of the questions come straight from syllabus points. If you learn the syllabus points, you'll NEVER go wrong ;)

kloudsurfer

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol Here's the link for his notes http://community.boredofstudies.org/3042404/post-21.html

I also got band 6 for Bio, but without typed notes, so that theory doesn't hold (as much anyway) :p lol.

But Bio is easy. It's all a regurgitating process. It's not like Chem, with the calculations and stuff. It's just a little more learning, a little less maths. It's a good subject, and most of the questions come straight from syllabus points. If you learn the syllabus points, you'll NEVER go wrong ;)
Those notes are the greatest notes ive ever seen!

No wonder the guy went so well.

Although you should always write your own notes and just use any other notes as a guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)