How to get a call centre job (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Call centres tend to have employees coming in and going out all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if you had a fair shout.

Neil.

HSC
N/A
Thanks. Does anyone else have advice? Still looking.

Main reason I'm interested is I think it would help improve my confidence and communication skills because I'm a socially awkward beta phaggot

Rixon

swirv
HSC
wait until dinner time
you will undoubtedly get a call from one
ask him if they've got any jobs going

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Easy. I've done call centers, inbound and outbound.

If going down the Telemarketer route, easy. They'll ask some pretty standard questions in the interview and ask you to 'sell' something like a pen or a water bottle or, in my case, a watch. Just outline the features of said object and say why they're beneficial.

Inbound is seriously one of the most cruisy jobs ever. Harder to get into, standard interview.

What type of calls would you like to make/receive? Appointment setting? Telemarketing? Canvasing?

Neil.

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I was thinking either telemarketing or technical support (perhaps something IT related / ISP)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
telemarketing is the worst. I did it for a charity for a few months and the amount of abuse was phenomenal. So you do need a thick skin. I also found it very isolating, being stuck in a cubicle for long shifts.

Having said that, it tends to pay ok, and it's pretty easy because you get a script often. I would recommend inbound if you get a choice.

If it's a group interview, try to stand out. Just don't be mediocre. And look into the company a bit before going to an interview.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
telemarketing is the worst. I did it for a charity for a few months and the amount of abuse was phenomenal. So you do need a thick skin. I also found it very isolating, being stuck in a cubicle for long shifts.

Having said that, it tends to pay ok, and it's pretty easy because you get a script often. I would recommend inbound if you get a choice.

If it's a group interview, try to stand out. Just don't be mediocre. And look into the company a bit before going to an interview.
I agree - Inbound over outbound.

If you go outbound, make sure the firm you're working for is decent.

I did Telemarketing for Energy Australia through BMS Telecorp in Richmond, Melbourne. BMS was such a lax environment. No cubicles, just segmented desks. You were allowed to talk to colleagues between calls (we had an auto-dialer for half of my time there, manual otherwise) and over-the-phone abuse was minimal.

Though, if someone does get angry and/or abusive, the most satisfying thing you can do is be overly happy, polite and courteous. That annoys them to no end and is rather hilarious to be honest.

I think the degree of abuse is determined by the product you're selling. Since I was on electricity - something essential for modern living - and working for Energy Australia while calling NSW, we were received pretty warmly.

Last edited:

appsetter

HSC
N/A
21, no work experience.

Is it possible?
Very possible. If you have a bit of chutzpah about you and don't mid people hanging up on you - no problem.

These jobs have a high turn over, so they are always looking for new callers.

It's easier to get a call centre job than it is to do the job well. But most people do an average job, and still keep their job because it is hard to find good people.

I started out setting appointments in financial services, and now have my own business doing it www.appointment-setter.com.au

You can make a career out of it if you get bored of studies lol!:skip:

If you're just after a bit of work and cash while you study, just jump on any job site, search for telemarketing, telesales, appointment setting etc and send them a resume.

EmilyWood12

HSC
Hi,
Call centre is the best place for freshers . They can easily grow their career in a very few time .You can easily get a job for call center. Just open this site and apply for the job at career page. Here I am sharing a link, where you can easily find call center job...
http://www.gizmosupport.com/Career.html
Gud luck..

willzinho

HSC
Shouldn't be a problem as long as your seem like a people person.

During interviews they might ask what skills you have and generally they tend to like to hear that you:

1) Am a good listener
2) Am empathetic to the customer (but not sympathetic), and can put yourself in their shoes
3) Can be a problem solver/ think outside the box
4) Am a team player, who can be focused on individual targets as well (normally they call them KPIs - key performance indicators)

No harm in trying anyway - every interview can be a learning experience!

There should be plenty of call centre jobs posted online, but you could always approach agencies as well.
Most agencies have consultants looking at call centre position, and they could get you in front of bigger companies (potentially) than job postings online.

In any case, best of luck with it :) Call centre jobs have been some of the most relaxed and fun jobs I've had and you learn SO much about dealing with people, both as a consumer and as a business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)