How to get rid of sodium hydroxide (1 Viewer)

chanandlerbong

HSC
So I watched this movie Fight Club, and there was this scene where Tyler kisses this guys hand to wetten it, and puts lye (sodium hydroxide) on it. I know that sodium hydroxide is a strong alkaline, which means "a base that dissolves in water". So washing sodium hydroxide off with water, would worsen it right? Is this the case with all base?
If so, if I have a strong alkaline burning my hand, would I use a weak or strong acid to neutralise the burn? I just need to know because my teacher said if you have an alkaline on your hand, you need to wash it off with water and not use vinegar acid to neutralise lye to stop the chemical burn

Thanks in advance to whoever helps me settle this curiosity

leehuan

HSC
If you have a strong base on your hand, you DILUTE it with water first. Putting acid on your skin immediately is tremendously dangerous and can worsen the situation.
When you add water, the concentration of the [OH-] ions will decrease because water introduces way more [H2O] than [OH-] (note: self ionisation of water means a tiny amount exists) and when the [OH-] decreases you have a weaker base.

But if you have SOLID sodium hydroxide on your hand, you need to clean that off instead. The base sodium hydroxide typically refers to the aqueous solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)