How to go about money (1 Viewer)

1Eilatan

HSC
I went to the US consulate last week and asked them about studying in the states. They told me what I need to know, and then they threw at me that basically if I don't have about 40 grand a year, I'm not going to be able to go. Now I -know- there are people that have gone to study overseas, and I'm pretty sure more than a few of you didn't have that much money when you decided you want to go so.. Any advice on how I should go about getting money? Because the application for the universities I want to go to require you to show that you have about 30k USD, which is about 45k here. There's got to be some way to get that money so.. Any help?

arjungamer123

HSC
Your options are:
Find a rich uncle
Kill a rich family member, without getting caught
Take a year off to work to raise some money
Don't go to America.

Unless you are a 99 UAI kinda person, its hard to get scholarships. And loans of above $100 grand for your whole stay in America, are severely not recommended.

Studying overseas is expensive... so yeah...you can't go if you don't have the money.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Your best bet is to win a fully-funded scholarship. If you are good enough to be accepted you should be good enough to compete for a scholarship. :)

Good luck!

HSC
N/A
Your options are:
Find a rich uncle
Take a year off to work to raise some money
Don't go to America.
None but the last are remotely practical.
Unless you are a 99 UAI kinda person, its hard to get scholarships. And loans of above $100 grand for your whole stay in America, are severely not recommended.
American tertiary institutions look at more than your entrance rank.
Studying overseas is expensive... so yeah...you can't go if you don't have the money.
Do not go to George Washington University or Sarah Lawrence College.
Wait, what exactly are you looking at?
Your best bet is to win a fully-funded scholarship. If you are good enough to be accepted you should be good enough to compete for a scholarship. :)
Indeed it is, but realize that it's extremely competitive.
Good luck!
2nd'd.
Yep scholarship or be from a family that has loads of money.
That's not fun, buying one's way into uni/college/tech uni.
I went to the US consulate last week and asked them about studying in the states. They told me what I need to know, and then they threw at me that basically if I don't have about 40 grand a year, I'm not going to be able to go. Now I -know- there are people that have gone to study overseas, and I'm pretty sure more than a few of you didn't have that much money when you decided you want to go so..
[This has been] Read.
Any advice on how I should go about getting money?
Apply for a corporate scholarship.

I remember when I was in high school, a bunch of Yanks came in to discuss their rather extensive scholarships - the only catch, to me, was that you had to work with the company for 10 years, or something; in that regard, like a cadetship here.
Because the application for the universities I want to go to require you to show that you have about 30k USD, which is about 45k here. There's got to be some way to get that money so.. Any help?
This piques my interest.
What are you looking at studying, and where? And why the US?

I understand, I dunno, law - majoring in constitutional law - if you had lofty aspirations of becoming an American-born, Australian-grown US president, haha. :p

1Eilatan

HSC
I want to go San Francisco State.. Which costs a lot. I have family and close friends in the state that I want to get back to.. Obviously none are hundred thousandaires. Plus, it's good for getting publish (writing). And don't say it's the same as in Aus. That's bullshit and a half because no one overseas has ever heard of any great Australian writers. It has to be possible to go because people have done it, and not everyone is from rich families, either.

A799

HSC
Apply for a corporate scholarship.

I remember when I was in high school, a bunch of Yanks came in to discuss their rather extensive scholarships - the only catch, to me, was that you had to work with the company for 10 years, or something; in that regard, like a cadetship here.
Hey, could you elaborate on that a bit? I dunno, sounds good since you don't need to go job-hunting afterwards

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I think one of the only ways to get that funding is to have family that can support you. When you think of the fees,its about the same as some of the private top tier schools in Sydney only times by 1.5.

Not sure if this is another suggestion but you could work for a year and a bit and save up that much.

Or might have to get a loan of some sort from the bank provided you can give supporting reasons you can pay it back.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Your options are:

A bit harsh there, Im just curious , do rich parents prefer their kids to stick to rich kids when in universities?

I'll be honest I came from a working class background and I got rejected alot at University back in my undergrad. Do kids really want to associate themselves with the poshy schools? the rich kids? Back in my state the top 20 ranked school, i think from memory 16 of the 20 were the heavily private funded schools. (4 of them being selective. I do notice the pattern vice versa in NSW)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
^^^^ It's something that I have never seriously thought about. But I did feel socially disadvantaged when mingling with these private school kids. (I wasn't quite able to hold a conversation with them or 'click' with them)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)