How to improve in Mathematics?! (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Hello BOS'ers ! ^___^
So if you're not mathematically oriented, and thats not a field where you excel, how do you become more competent?
I'm not all that great at remembering concepts, nor applying them, so I just wanted to know how you got better, and were you always an achiever in Mathematics and fields mathematically related.

Thanks. Memi x

hscishard

HSC
I don't know which maths you're doing but I can tell you one thing you haven't done before: Understand.

Without understanding you can't apply and you will have difficulty memorising. I'll just take it you like english. In english you usually need to understand the text, right? When you write you use techniques. Maths also use techniques, techniques in solving questions. You can develop these techniques by completing questions.

Sadly, I can't guarrantee what I have just said will work for you but it has worked for me.

dan2452

HSC
Practice practice practice.

I've pretty much always been 'good' at mathematics - since primary school - but the concepts used in maths can be understood if you take the time to use them. Once you build up the basics (basic algebra, rearranging) you build upon this as you continue the course.

E.g. if you don't understand quadratic inequalities, have a look at quadratics, and inequalities, before you put too much effort into understanding the final product.

Most importantly - talk to your teacher when you don't understand something, otherwise you will experience even more problem further down the track.

It is much better to understand than to remember.

Clank_

HSC
Practice is the key in mathematics.

Try Maths in Focus if you're stuggling to grasp the basics, but also then try some harder questions from Cambridge or Fitz.

Also, don't be afraid of asking your teacher for extra help.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Practicing answering questions (enabling you to apply key concepts and mathematical ideas) is what I believe the most effective way to improve in this subject.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
~Practise~

And Coroneos for the win if you're looking for HSC styled questions.

Memi

HSC
N/A
hscishard: I do 2U Mathematics.

To everyone who said practice, where do I begin? Sometimes I am unaware of how much I truly comprehend of a topic, and whether I grasp the concept fully. When I get questions correct, it doesn't necessarily mean I will understand it were the question to be tweaked. Some times its the question thats easy, hence why I can understand. But when the difficulty increases, then I'm back to square one.

I cannot decipher whether or not I should relearn the recent topics, the ones I am not sure whether I comprehend, or start in chronological order working my way up from Year 7.

hscishard

HSC
From what I have noticed, most people don't read the textbook. It is crucial to read the worked examples if you can't decipher something. Textbooks shows step by step. If you have trouble deciphering a step, ask your teacher!

Decipher, sounds computerish

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think theoreticals are a great way to apply knowledge. As there are no numbers, they are just theoretical questions that test actual understanding. Probably try those.

3Lachlan2

HSC
Hello BOS'ers ! ^___^
So if you're not mathematically oriented, and thats not a field where you excel, how do you become more competent?
I'm not all that great at remembering concepts, nor applying them, so I just wanted to know how you got better, and were you always an achiever in Mathematics and fields mathematically related.

Thanks. Memi x
I assume you're doing General Maths, which requires you to be well at reading and applying skills to wordy questions. I don't think much of General Maths, TBH.

The Advanced Maths courses and beyond require a deep understanding of the concepts and techniques, including complex rules. Questions are easier in a sense as they get to the point, usually without using much words.

Depending on which course you're doing, it varies. I'd suggest you drop from General, or Advanced up if you don't understand what I'm saying.

kcqn93

HSC
do your homework.

do it again if you don't remember how to do it.

do past paper style questions.

do your homework.... lol

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
For 2unit maths you can basically copy the techniques in the examples to do questions, do enough questions this way you soon won't need to look at the example and can probably do an exam question.

mioumiou

HSC
1. Do your HW!!! (one of the most important step for learning maths concepts)
2. Do EXTRA work. (you have to do at least 30 mins - 1 hour ---> you can choose to do longer than that, simply find more excerises for you to have more depth in understanding the concepts and do harder/ challenging questions as much as you can)
3. Do the Past Papers!!! (the MOST important thing to do if you want to get higher marks ----> the more past papers you do, you can understand more exam style questions and being ale to do them easily)

If you still don't understand, don't be afraid to ask!! Ask your maths teachers or friends or you can even post your questions here on BOS!! I'm sure there will be loads of helpful and nice people here to come and help you out!!

Overall, maths is all about practice, practice and more practice. (there's no ends in maths) :)

Memi

HSC
N/A
I know practice is vital for success in 2Unit, but I don't have any questions to practice on.
We haven't been supplied with a textbook as of yet, and all I have are some handouts for each exercise which I have already completed. I don't have any Preliminary Mathematics textbooks nor have I been successful in rummaging for past papers.

I also tried to Maths Online to find some worksheets, but my log-in doesn't work and its ambiguous as to why.

How do I practice when theres no resources which give way to practice?

student6625

HSC
Once you get the concept, don't even bother doing that much homework questions since they're not really exam oriented and can be repetitive and useless. Just keep on doing LOTS AND LOTS of practice papers until you can complete one in half the time you get the HSC. That way you'll be able to check your exam several times thoroughly. There's simply no other way.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Your best hope is to transform into an Asian. If this fails, just do what the above posts tell you to do.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Your best hope is to transform into an Asian. If this fails, just do what the above posts tell you to do.
The sad thing is, I am Asian x]
I just don't follow the stereotype.

mioumiou

HSC
The sad thing is, I am Asian x]
I just don't follow the stereotype.
LOL

I know practice is vital for success in 2Unit, but I don't have any questions to practice on.
We haven't been supplied with a textbook as of yet, and all I have are some handouts for each exercise which I have already completed. I don't have any Preliminary Mathematics textbooks nor have I been successful in rummaging for past papers.

I also tried to Maths Online to find some worksheets, but my log-in doesn't work and its ambiguous as to why.

How do I practice when theres no resources which give way to practice?
You can always register another one for free. use the maths online resource, since you don't have much to practice and resources (textbooks and past papers), just go on to that site and register another account. That way, you can practice maths more often!!

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)