How to improve my english grade? (1 Viewer)

s-tressed

HSC
I've been getting fairly consistent B's in English since year 10 and I am now in year 12! I know B's aren't bad but it frustrates me since English is the one subject I can never improve on. When I barley try I get a B which I'm defiantly not complaining about but when I try really hard guess what I get.... a B! What can I do? Also, I know the answer to this question depends on a range of factors but what percentage would I be needing in my assessments to get a band 5 or low band 6 in English?

Thankyou.

elemental hero

HSC
OK so first of all just reading books won't help enhance your English ability. Make sure you read challenging books that are also interesting such as
"1984" by George Orwell or " Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. Spark Notes is an amazing site to read reviews of books. If your in yr 10 I strongly suggest Animal Farm. EPic book to study and use Spark notes to help SUPER INTERESTING. Moreover on a sepearate piece of paper that you keep personally at home, write down specific phrases, sophisticated vocabulary words and techniques that you come across in books and in your learning. I do this and it really helps. For example my teacher loves to use the word ' exemplifies, mise-en scene,falsify and foreshadowing.' THese are her favourite words, thus I use them a lot in my writing. IT WORKS :) In addition Make a separate list of vocab words in sticky notes on ur comp and every day just scroll through it and make sure u know the definition of all of them.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One important advice, stop being depressed, you still have three more terms to go, so if you lift up your performance, you can get a band 6-it is almost impossible to tell you the percentage you need to get because it depends on the difficulty of your school's assessments and whether your school moderates internal marks as well as how generous your teacher marks.. English is a subject that anyone with enough determination can improve on-don't say 'never', say I need to improve on and ask how can you improve on it? Below are my top tips for maximising your English potential:

1)write practice essays(but make sure you get a very harsh marker-whether it is your teacher, your tutor, or someone else)-try to write one each week-there is no need to write excessively as quality exceed quantity in English and sometimes you need time to think over your ideas-to refine/extend them-so you don't waste so much time procrastinating when you write your essays

2) never write a second essay without getting comments for your first one, and I don't advise you to prepare a generic essay because unless you know the essay question before hand, generic essay will often leave you restricted in your options and even if it will get you marks in your assessment task, it will definitely not get you far in your trials and HSC...

3)never ever give up, use your holidays effectively to prepare-ask the teacher what text you will be studying in the coming year-and use the holidays to read over these text-to reduce your stress during the year, for any modules requiring a related text, try to find it in the holidays, and try not to use a very popular text-it is much harder to stand out

4)learn to listen in class-whether it is other people's opinions or your teacher's insights, it will help you formulate your own unique understanding-don't rely on study guides too much-because everyone will be doing the same thing-but check with your teacher that your understanding is not super obscure

5) probably the most important is to use all resources available, your teacher, your tutor(if you have one), the internet, library, etc-and develop a personal passion and understanding into the subject-but don't excessively seek other people's opinion on your work-because you might develop a low self-esteem and start to doubt yourself-so always reflect on each piece of advice whether it is valid or not and keep faith-believe in yourself that you have the capacity to develop independent thinking-and just because it is different from other people-does not necessarily mean it is wrong-just be prepared to back it up with textual evidence

6)read all your text 3 times minimum-no skimming over-you really need to develop a comprehensive understanding of the whole text-not just deconstruct a few scenes and forget about the rest of the book 11)make sure you rest well, eat well, stay healthy during these stressful two years(if you are not healthy, you may underperform in exams-and all your efforts gone).

7)For writing excellent creative, such as for the area of belonging-you should decide what areas you want to explore, construct a 'perfect' story after various edit process, than try to adopt that story to as many creative writing question as possible-i.e. write plans and get someone to mark it for you, like your teacher, and when you come across questions that your story is difficult to mould to, then write another one to cover the rest of the questions, but to write good creative stories, you will need to practice and get feedback-and that also involves looking at exemplary short stories-either through purchasing or finding it online. If your short story has two possible endings, one exploring not belonging and the other exploring belonging-you again expand the possibilities of having a few stories-and being able to adapt it very well to every single creative question imaginable

8)Regularly practice answering English essay/comprehension/creative questions under EXAM CONDTIONS, without notes, and get a teacher/experienced English personnel to mark it for you-and learn from the comments.

Basically, to do well in English, it is just practice, feedback, practice, feedback-unfortunately there is no short cuts at all... this, coupled with perseverance, persistent optimism and consistent performance are the key ingredients to succeeding in English. However, my advice and encouragement will just remain words on a screen unless you choose to transform these suggestions into proactive actions. You may not improve radically after writing 5 or 10 essays while adopting feedback, but you will definitely see a drastic improvement when you do your trials and HSC-persevere today, tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that till the conclusion of your HSC English exams and you shall succeed. Don't let grades categorise your potential, compete with yourself and excel by achieving your PERSONAL BEST THROUGHOUT THE YEAR:) Stop wondering, stop doubting, stop thinking too far ahead and start studying:) (You can control the present, but you can't control the future and the past-never give up!),

Hope this advice helped and all my best wishes for you putting into 100% effort into English and having no regrets at the end of the year-may you maximise your potential:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
You're probably not targeting the right criteria. I got B in year 10 and it slowly morphed into a low A by year 11 (good enough for me lol) and I guess you need to understand what English is about (hard) but it just asking a question where you answer it with evidence from the text in different formats (hence the modules). I might be wrong, but that's kind of how I approached it and it worked to an extent.

A lot of practice and vocabulary expansion was involved for me and everyone is different, so you need to find out where you're going wrong and work towards rectifying it. Always remember to clear and articulate. It is better to express a complex idea simply than a simple idea in a complex way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhonmick

HSC
English language skill very important for every one. You should read some good articles,books,ans writing also very important to improve the English grade. But writing is not a essay task for everyone.Every student writing is all the time the most challenging part for achieving a good mark in higher education. Many of them have no more ideas to write very attractively. But there are so many ways to write the paper in a top quality to attract the readers. i think some best essay writing service will help you to complete the writing task and improve your English grade

iEatOysters

HSC
English is one of those subjects where your performance is largely determined by the question posed in the exam, meaning that your marks may fluctuate if your prepared material does not fit the question well. I know this has been repeated a multitude of times, but writing practice essays and getting your teachers to mark them is a fail-proof way of approaching English as it not only hones your essay-writing skills, but also allows you to consolidate and apply your analysis to exam-type situations.

It is essential that you cooperate with your teachers as they are the ones who will be determining your internal marks and ranks! If they don't want you to write in a certain manner, avoid it at all costs! (until perhaps the HSC which where markers may have different ideas about what it is that constitute a "well-written" essay or creative). English is very subjective and this aspect of the subject has to be taken into consideration when you're studying for it. So definitely get a range of different people to read over your essay!! Or an experienced HSC marker at least. Edit this essay tirelessly so that it's perfect and can be perfectly mouldable to any question!! Definitely have some back-up quotes just in case, though... This is especially the case with Mod B.

Also, essay writing in Advanced English requires more of a mechanical approach (as opposed to Extension where the markers are looking for something "out there" and "different"), meaning that good marks can be attained with good essay structure and sophisticated ideas. While it is important to use sophisticated language to demonstrate your extensive vocabulary, etc, you must also ensure that your verbosity does not hinder the marker's understanding of your argument!! Your argument/thesis is ESSENTIAL for attaining top marks in English!! If you opt to meander on about useless/unrelated analysis for half the essay then you won't get the marks as it does not contribute to the overarching argument that ties your essay into a cohesive piece of writing. And of course, try to be succinct as every word counts due to time constraints.

And most importantly, make sure your writing is legible under exam conditions!! Although teachers don't necessarily deduct marks for messy handwriting, they can't give marks for content they cannot read. This goes for all humanity/writing-intensive subjects! Hahaha, I have issues with this as well - all my words seem to meld with the printed lines under exam conditions ahaha. Don't be disheartened by bad marks (I know, I'm such a hypocrite), it's definitely possible to lift your performance in English. I know a solid B student who became a straight A English student after much hard work and persistence. Good luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)