How to increase essays from consistent 16/20 to 19-20/20? (1 Viewer)

bigboybenson

HSC
Hi all,

As the title says, in most of my economics essays I've consistently gotten 15-16-17's and, frankly, am tired of not improving despite my best efforts. What do I need to include to get 19's or 20's, especially in the upcoming HSC exam? I'm already planning to write many practice essays, but would like some info on where to start improving.

I include diagrams, relevant stats and examples, good theory, and all my teachers say I have good content. Any lyf hax? Tips and tricks? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~BBB

GucciChips

HSC
honestly i have the same issue, especially in English. Any tips would be appreciated!

beetree1

HSC
Listen to teacher feedback, talk to your teachers about it and they'll probs go thru it step by step with u and give you tips on how to improve next time.
When writing essays, i would recommend looking at the criteria and writing as if you are 'answering' the criteria.

If you get in B ranges, if your essay was really good, the chances are, your essay didnt respond to the question well enough. Remember: A badly written essay that responds to the question will get a better mark than a very well written essay that doesnt respond to the question! So use your planning time and stuff wisely!

Heresy

HSC
There is a guy on YouTube called 'EconPlusDal' that has essay plans and whatnot for economics, his channel is mainly focused on GCSE and A level economics in the UK, but I guess the same principles can be applied.

SuperAltastic

HSC
Hey,

This is just some feedback I had gotten in my HSC so passing it on hope it helps Ya!

1. Look at others essays who have done the HSC in the past and what they do well each time as well as their areas of improvement, the more exposure you have to reading others work the better you can understand the structure. The best way to do this is try and see if you can get your hands on the HSC workbook which is what I did and used those examples, they are often from state rankers and give a good indication of what your writing should be looking like.

2. The introduction, this part of your essay is absolutely CRUCIAL as it is the first impression for the marker in the HSC and when you think about it first impressions are quite important. So in my intro's I would ANSWER THE QUESTION STRAIGHT AWAY giving my view on the question and then defining key terms and then further elaborating on my view point.

3. The BODY this has to be the main component of your essay, it must be in-depth with continuous analysis. The best way I thought to have in depth analysis was to imagine the marker has only the most minimal knowledge of economics and as they read my essay anything that is not explained completely, backed up with evidence would fly straight past them. In your body it is essential that you continuously link each piece of evidence or analysis back to the question to ensure it is well answered.

Moreover you need to explain things from start to finish ie you could say that high unemployment -> low economic growth as a point, but to ensure you explain everything you should explain each step ie high unemployment -> leads to lower MPC as people have less money to spend -> which in turn lowers consumption -> which in turn lowers AD and economic growth.

4. Conclusion this must be concise enough to reiterate all your points and reaffirm your stance on the question.

I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)