• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to install linux and keep windows? (1 Viewer)

Kata_Mos

HSC
N/A
Hey i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how i could go about installing Linux onto my PC and keep the windows OS ie be able to choose at startup which OS to boot???

My computer atm is really old like ancient OS is Windows 98 SE, CPU Celeron 466 Mhz, 64 Mb RAM, 8.4 Gb HardDrive (about 4.76 gb free)........

Any help tips adive is appreciated very much (oh but please keep the comments to a level that is not too technical i am kind of new at this so in the easiest terms that you can explain it :) :))

sunny

meh.
HSC
Most modern Linux installations will give you the option of installing a boot manager to let you pick between Linux or Windows when booting.

Kata_Mos

HSC
N/A
So basically all i have to do is download it, follow the instructions (which hopefully i can understand) and presto its done?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Read the instructions before you download and install it...

Kata_Mos

HSC
N/A
Kool but is there any particular version of Linux that you would recomment that i should download eg Mandrakelinux, Winlinux etc. ?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Everyone you ask will give you different opinions and bag out distros other than the one they are using, you are best off reading some review sites and make up your own mind about what you like.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Linux itself is easy enough to install, you might find it a bit hard to do other things (eg install extra software).

HSC
Kata_Mos said:
Hey i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how i could go about installing Linux onto my PC and keep the windows OS ie be able to choose at startup which OS to boot???
Hey Kate,
At last! Linux and Windows can work together. Its called Knoppix. Knoppix runs off a disc which you can insert at startup, the system then boots from the disc. When you want to exit Knoppix, just choose shut down and remove the disc, then ur back to windows...Simple really...hope that helps

Harlequin

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
get partition magic and dual boot.
i have linux and windows.

Kata_Mos

HSC
N/A
TheHarlequinMan said:
Hey Kate,
At last! Linux and Windows can work together. Its called Knoppix. Knoppix runs off a disc which you can insert at startup, the system then boots from the disc. When you want to exit Knoppix, just choose shut down and remove the disc, then ur back to windows...Simple really...hope that helps

Harlequin
I've used Knoppix before but it was too slow most likely 'casue my system is too slow but thanx for the help

Kata_Mos

HSC
N/A
sunjet said:
get partition magic and dual boot.
i have linux and windows.
I'm dowloading a trial version of Partion magic hopefully that should be sufficient but is it easy to use?

sladehk

le random
HSC
But Knoppix isn't like a normal linux because it is a boot-of-cd version so not as flexible and limited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)