how to integrate quotes (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
I usually just chuck in some individual words from the quote into the sentence
eg Winston "grimaced" at the Party's "xyz", Orwell's imagery here showcases...
but I've recently been told this makes u look like a dummy as in it shows u don't know your text, is that true or nah?
my teachers on the other hand have always said that's the right way to go and it makes u look sophisticated... which one is it :(

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I think what you did is fine but you can like probably say the technique first and with the quote so it flows better.

I did my HSC a few years ago so the syllabus is different, but almost state ranked back then and this is how I did it. Basically you need to try make the quotes and technique in one sentence. Instead of giving a quote and then the "as shown in this quote" just straight up say the technique and and the quote. This is kind of hard I guess if you are just memorising quotes and analysis and then coming up with essays in the exam.

If you are not memorising essays then the only way you can become good at it I guess is just practice a lot on it. Back then it was a bit easier to get away with memorising as questions were somewhat predictable and I didn't like studying for English so yeah just memorised whole essays and changed some stuff on the spot to make it fit the question

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 7.33.56 pm.png

dumNerd

HSC
I think what you did is fine but you can like probably say the technique first and with the quote so it flows better.

I did my HSC a few years ago so the syllabus is different, but almost state ranked back then and this is how I did it. Basically you need to try make the quotes and technique in one sentence. Instead of giving a quote and then the "as shown in this quote" just straight up say the technique and and the quote. This is kind of hard I guess if you are just memorising quotes and analysis and then coming up with essays in the exam.

If you are not memorising essays then the only way you can become good at it I guess is just practice a lot on it. Back then it was a bit easier to get away with memorising as questions were somewhat predictable and I didn't like studying for English so yeah just memorised whole essays and changed some stuff on the spot to make it fit the question

View attachment 29078
Why was if easier to memrosie essays in the old syllabus?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Why was if easier to memrosie essays in the old syllabus?
I don't know much about the new syllabus as I haven't really looked at it and don't really want to look at English tbh anyways as it's one of the cursed parts of hsc hahaha, but I have heard that the students now sometimes could get asked to write different kinds of things like a discursive, reflection (whatever these words mean I have no idea haha)

Previously we had set types of things we got asked like in terms of we had all essays, a short answer thing on analysing unseen texts and a creative piece

It wasn't easy in terms of you can just memorise an essay and put it on a paper as that won't ever get a good mark as it doesn't answer the question. However, in saying that it was easier before because if you were able to make a generalised essay that addresses many different themes and aspects in a text then it is easy to adapt it if you have got some skill. However, now I guess if you get asked something different in terms of how you should write it kind of hard to memorise multiple different things

idkkdi

HSC
I don't know much about the new syllabus as I haven't really looked at it and don't really want to look at English tbh anyways as it's one of the cursed parts of hsc hahaha, but I have heard that the students now sometimes could get asked to write different kinds of things like a discursive, reflection (whatever these words mean I have no idea haha)

Previously we had set types of things we got asked like in terms of we had all essays, a short answer thing on analysing unseen texts and a creative piece

It wasn't easy in terms of you can just memorise an essay and put it on a paper as that won't ever get a good mark as it doesn't answer the question. However, in saying that it was easier before because if you were able to make a generalised essay that addresses many different themes and aspects in a text then it is easy to adapt it if you have got some skill. However, now I guess if you get asked something different in terms of how you should write it kind of hard to memorise multiple different things
creative now has become creative + reflection where creative can be in a variety of forms: persuasive, discursive, imaginative. not completely sure, but pretty sure this is what has happened.

erucibon

HSC
N/A

New syllabus is so dog, they are allowed to give you are passage and tell you to continue it as a persuasive - that's how specific they are allowed to be

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
New syllabus is so dog, they are allowed to give you are passage and tell you to continue it as a persuasive - that's how specific they are allowed to be
Yeah okay I can see how that could be tough. Glad I did my hsc before these changes

dumNerd

HSC
persuasive....?? wtf

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
o yea my teacher calls that "embedded quoting" and like your teachers, she says that it makes your writing more sophisticated. tbh I don't see how doing this would make you seem like you don't know your text, in fact I think it makes you seem more familiar with it

jojosiwa123

HSC
wtf aren't they always going to give us option between the three as in discursive persuasive or imaginative????

Last edited:

erucibon

HSC
N/A
wtf aren't shy always going to give us option between the three as in discursive persuasive or imaginative????
They don't have to, but it is very unlikely they will force you to do a persuasive

Xanthi

HSC
Unlikely to force any of the options for Mod C, stimulus might be difficult to answer however.

Agree the new syllabus is of a higher difficulty. And this is the second year (with phys and chem)...they tend to go harder after the first go.

Questions relating to narrow and specific aspects of the text, for example a quote from text, a sometimes narrow theme or a character are the sort of thing we have to deal with now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)