• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how to memorise the rubric for english (1 Viewer)

Alyosha

HSC
4u 2u chem and bio. im most scared for english 😭😭
if you're doing 4u anything you will get early entry. I failed 3u math and nearly failed 2u math and still got ANU early entry. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an early offer.

roseviolett

HSC
its been said already pretty much but the questions are derived from key words in the rubric so just keep some in mind/look up definitions if you don't know what they mean

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
if you're doing 4u anything you will get early entry. I failed 3u math and nearly failed 2u math and still got ANU early entry. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an early offer.
i have no issue with early entry. just english as a subject Im scared its gonna pull me back in year 12

aqwerty13402

HSC
I'm sorry due to ur reputation here idk what to believe (no offence) . can anyone confirm please :)
yeah just memorise key words.
MOD A - Resonances, dissonance, textual conversation, dialogue, etc
MOD B - Distinctive, subversion of traditional, enduring etc

find synonyms for them as well.

Jeffreylol

HSC
Hi can someone tell me an effective way to memorise the english advanced rubric
like do I just memorise the whole chunk (coz im gonna forget it) or do take into consideration the key points and all that

uhmm idk what im sayingg 😭 but i just feel like memorising the rubric wholely is just useless

idk someone help pls :))
any tips from class of 2024 who are gonna sit the hsc in a few days would be helpful too :))
thankss
memorising is kinda crazy and like you said is pretty useless

Best thing to do is have like a "blanket statement" for your intros, which addresses general core aspects of the rubric e.g. common mod -> human experiences, ModA -> literary conversation of original and adaptation, ModB -> evaluating context and concerns of author's period + textual integrity linked somewhere.

Obv you're question will always come from the rubric, and there's typically some broadness to them, so unless you've prepared some weirdly specific quotes/essays you shouldn't worry, but even then you should always be able to address the question. Also you have a whole year to get the gist of more specific parts of each rubric (e.g. anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistences from common mod). The prescribed texts have been chosen for a reason, because if you have a decent understanding of them, you shouldn't be surprised or stumped by most questions.

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
memorising is kinda crazy and like you said is pretty useless

Best thing to do is have like a "blanket statement" for your intros, which addresses general core aspects of the rubric e.g. common mod -> human experiences, ModA -> literary conversation of original and adaptation, ModB -> evaluating context and concerns of author's period + textual integrity linked somewhere.

Obv you're question will always come from the rubric, and there's typically some broadness to them, so unless you've prepared some weirdly specific quotes/essays you shouldn't worry, but even then you should always be able to address the question. Also you have a whole year to get the gist of more specific parts of each rubric (e.g. anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistences from common mod). The prescribed texts have been chosen for a reason, because if you have a decent understanding of them, you shouldn't be surprised or stumped by most questions.
thank you :>)

karamazova

HSC
omg you absolutely do not have to memorise your english rubric, just understand the key components for each module that they'll ask you about! i suggest printing a copy of the rubric for each module if you can and highlighting and annotating the key points, it should sound come away with a focus like this (i just pulled these straight from my own notes)

common mod -
  • Assess individual and collective experiences — give rise to human qualities and emotions
  • Investigate anomalies, paradoxes, and inconsistencies in human behaviour and motivation
  • Analyse through literary devices, language concepts, dramatic features, etc.
  • Analyse purpose, structure, stylistic and grammatical features
mod A -
  • Analyse resonances and dissonances between and within texts — how details mirror/align/collide
  • Assess common or disparate issues, values, assumptions, or perspectives
  • Analyse textual features, conventions, contexts, values, and purpose of each text
mod B -
  • Explore definitive qualities of the text
    • Notions of textual integrity (coherent unity of the text to create meaning and value) and significance
  • Analyse the texts’ construction, content, and language → to form own interpretation of the text based on detailed evidence, research and reading
  • Understand the texts’ composition and reception
    • Composition: historical + literary context, language features, construction, structure
    • Reception: evaluate perspectives of others (historical and contemporary)
mod C -
  • Write for a range of authentic audiences and purposes to convey ideas with power and increasing precision
  • Examine how writers [of complex texts] use language creative and imaginatively for a range of purpose
  • Reflect on the complex and recursive process of writing to further develop their ability to apply their knowledge of textual forms and features
  • Produce crafted imaginative, discursive, persuasive, and informative texts
i've bolded some of the key words that tend to show up in exams because they're the terminology nesa love to centre questions on. you really don't have to memorise the entire syllabus, just the main points and understand how they apply to your text and vice versa. hope that helps!!!

e8zks

HSC
omg you absolutely do not have to memorise your english rubric, just understand the key components for each module that they'll ask you about! i suggest printing a copy of the rubric for each module if you can and highlighting and annotating the key points, it should sound come away with a focus like this (i just pulled these straight from my own notes)

common mod -
  • Assess individual and collective experiences — give rise to human qualities and emotions
  • Investigate anomalies, paradoxes, and inconsistencies in human behaviour and motivation
  • Analyse through literary devices, language concepts, dramatic features, etc.
  • Analyse purpose, structure, stylistic and grammatical features
mod A -
  • Analyse resonances and dissonances between and within texts — how details mirror/align/collide
  • Assess common or disparate issues, values, assumptions, or perspectives
  • Analyse textual features, conventions, contexts, values, and purpose of each text
mod B -
  • Explore definitive qualities of the text
    • Notions of textual integrity (coherent unity of the text to create meaning and value) and significance
  • Analyse the texts’ construction, content, and language → to form own interpretation of the text based on detailed evidence, research and reading
  • Understand the texts’ composition and reception
    • Composition: historical + literary context, language features, construction, structure
    • Reception: evaluate perspectives of others (historical and contemporary)
mod C -
  • Write for a range of authentic audiences and purposes to convey ideas with power and increasing precision
  • Examine how writers [of complex texts] use language creative and imaginatively for a range of purpose
  • Reflect on the complex and recursive process of writing to further develop their ability to apply their knowledge of textual forms and features
  • Produce crafted imaginative, discursive, persuasive, and informative texts
i've bolded some of the key words that tend to show up in exams because they're the terminology nesa love to centre questions on. you really don't have to memorise the entire syllabus, just the main points and understand how they apply to your text and vice versa. hope that helps!!!
Bang on the money

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)