How to motivate myself to study consistently/stop being distracted? (1 Viewer)

trolol101

HSC
So i bludge a lot and i inconsistently study and do homework and i got some half yearly exams in a few days. I always end up studying like crazy at the last second and i know i can do better than that D:

Distractions are never ending too...

ShadowLighte

HSC
I do this too so I probably won't be of much use but try to keep your goals in mind. What is the reason you're doing this? i.e. you're studying to do well in an exam > good marks > reach your atar goal/ accepted into your course > career you want etc.

Also, make it simple in the sense that you know what you're going to do for approximately hoe long and then you can take a break after it's done. Eg. Do however many dot points you can before your lose focus (make sure it's consistent otherwise you'll always tell yourself you need a break) and then take a break, get up and do something, come back and repeat.

You've made it this far, think about it. All those years of schooling, let's not waste it. We've finishing too soon, so make it count! You know yourself what you should do. You could have always told yourself that there;s a next time in previous years but not any more. This is your last chance.

trolol101

HSC
I do this too so I probably won't be of much use but try to keep your goals in mind. What is the reason you're doing this? i.e. you're studying to do well in an exam > good marks > reach your atar goal/ accepted into your course > career you want etc.

Also, make it simple in the sense that you know what you're going to do for approximately hoe long and then you can take a break after it's done. Eg. Do however many dot points you can before your lose focus (make sure it's consistent otherwise you'll always tell yourself you need a break) and then take a break, get up and do something, come back and repeat.

You've made it this far, think about it. All those years of schooling, let's not waste it. We've finishing too soon, so make it count! You know yourself what you should do. You could have always told yourself that there;s a next time in previous years but not any more. This is your last chance.
I have goals but i still get lazy and distracted :(

Chubbeh

HSC
Learning and actually understanding the content and how it applies to real-life/modern situations can be fun and interesting.

Like with Chemistry, learning about the carbon dioxide equilibrium was pretty cool. Every time I saw a sibling open a can of soft drink (changing the system from closed to open) I explained to them the effects it would have (the production of gaseous carbon dioxide was favoured based on principles of equilibrium leading to a flat taste) and so on. Just find a way to appreciate what you learn, and try to draw links between content to increase interest.

trolol101

HSC
Learning and actually understanding the content and how it applies to real-life/modern situations can be fun and interesting.

Like with Chemistry, learning about the carbon dioxide equilibrium was pretty cool. Every time I saw a sibling open a can of soft drink (changing the system from closed to open) I explained to them the effects it would have (the production of gaseous carbon dioxide was favoured based on principles of equilibrium leading to a flat taste) and so on. Just find a way to appreciate what you learn, and try to draw links between content to increase interest.
How do you apply that with parametric equations?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Imagine waking up, logging onto UAC at 9am on December 19th and realising your atar is 0.05 below your top course preference.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Imagine waking up, logging onto UAC at 9am on December 19th and realising your atar is 0.05 below your top course preference.
also no bonus points allowed
wow you're really hitting it where it hurts

1. remove distractions when studying
2. make a prioritised to do list of what needs to be done
3. work during the times you're most productive. for me, its night. so when i study, no phone, no internet. only music (its not really a distraction anyway)
4. think about how screwed you will be if you don't get your shit together
5. remember how bad it feels when you need to rush everything because of poor time management and generally try and not repeat that process so you feel better about yourself after

its mainly building good habits for your hsc and the years beyond it, so start now!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

3. work during the times you're most productive. for me, its night. so when i study, no phone, no internet. only music (its not really a distraction anyway)
5. remember how bad it feels when you need to rush everything because of poor time management and generally try and not repeat that process so you feel better about yourself after

its mainly building good habits for your hsc and the years beyond it, so start now!
I thought this was the case for uni but it didn't eventuate, the 3 month xmas holidays have killed my work ethic.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Pomodoro Technique does wonders when procrastinating. 25 minutes full focus and a 5 minute break afterwards. Repeat this another 2 or three times and have a longer break for 15-20.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
So i bludge a lot and i inconsistently study and do homework and i got some half yearly exams in a few days. I always end up studying like crazy at the last second and i know i can do better than that D:

Distractions are never ending too...
well I flopped on some of my half yearlies :p that isn't the best way to get motivated but when you self reflect you tend to get a lot of motivation because you realise you need to work harder and not let it happen again, although this is more of a how to get motivated after flopping out not before the exams :p

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
well I flopped on some of my half yearlies :p that isn't the best way to get motivated but when you self reflect you tend to get a lot of motivation because you realise you need to work harder and not let it happen again, although this is more of a how to get motivated after flopping out not before the exams :p
So much this

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
I've been as productive as ive been all year after I got my results back :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I just know I've dun goof'd exams still doing em. Got legal studies tomorrow :(.

trolol101

HSC
Pomodoro Technique does wonders when procrastinating. 25 minutes full focus and a 5 minute break afterwards. Repeat this another 2 or three times and have a longer break for 15-20.
I'm gonna give this a go. Going to download the app for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

trolol101

HSC

I think i study better at night too, but with half yearlies this might not really work out as im gonna be tired during the day.

ATAR Achiever

HSC
Procrastination is the worst disease a year 12 student can catch. However, if we're brutally honest I think we'd all have to say that it effects us a some point. However, I can be overcome! This isn't from a scientific study or anything, but it does wonders to my study style and gives me a boost. When I get unmotivated, when I am bludging around or when I am not studying competently, I either lay into my boxing bag, or do as many push-ups and chin-ups as I can. What this does psychologically I have no idea, but it does take your mind off school for a bit, allowing you to get your head back in order!
Sorry if this doesn't help, but it might work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)