How to prepare for a presentation? (1 Viewer)

spillargroove

HSC
God, I'm a bit stressed out about this presentation I have to do next Wed. It's a 15 minute presentation based on a topic from the Unit Reader. It says you can use whatever you want like palmcards but I haven't given a "presenation" before, only presentations at school where you use your palmcards. I don't feel quite comfortable explaining things on the spot. Maybe not yet, but I am not sure what to expect. Hopefully my tutor can get back to me and explain things in simple.

School_Burger

Old Member
HSC
15 minutes :|

you have a presentation already?!?!?! shit!
try and use alot of overhead sheets? lots of pictures and stuff. Maybe make a powerpoint slide and bring it on CD and read off the slides
i dont think they will be expecting much

spillargroove

HSC
Yeah the tutor said afterwards that he wasn't expecting us to be "professional academics" and be formal about the reading. I think the powerpoint slide is a very good idea because I can talk whilst explaining the points. Hopefully he gets back to me.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Use powerpoint. But the most important thing to do is not use too much words on the power point, just use sub headings so you can follow along when you talk. All the information should be on your palm cards.

spillargroove

HSC
So how will I co-ordinate this? Talk using my palm cards and whilst doing that, introduce the powerpoint slides when the sub-headings and/or pictures to follow?

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yep. Thats the best way to do it. Don't forget that when you do change slides, that you do need to take breath between palm cards. Otherwise you'll probably faint from a lack of oxygen infront of the class. Its really not as hard as it sounds, over the next few years, you'll get used to it.

Its generally what lecturers do, just follow what they do in class.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol in my first accounting tute, we were put into groups, got the unit outline and we had to creatively explain an assigned section to the class. i didnt have time to worry, just got shoved up there and talked about crap. haha i couldnt blieve it. i HATE public speaking. :(:(, and i know there'll be plenty more presentations i have to do.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Next semester I have a 30 minutes presentation (by myself) infront of industry professionals. So scarey!

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
I am so bad at presentations and stuff, Im fine until I have to read something then I just lose it...thinking of doing the public speaking class hehe

pick me

HSC
Good Luck with it. I hate public speaking, but like many of you I have been given one for Aust and the Global economy. We are in groups of three and have to do a 20 min presentation.

spillargroove

HSC
Cape, that is crazy! Well public speaking in terms of a debate or when I had to do a legal speech about a topic, I was fine but not like what the tutors do and just turn up and start blah'ing.

L

LaraB

Whoever said "us elots of overheads" - DON"T!

whenever people in my tutes used heaps of overheads, they got marked down for having more or less irrelevant/pointless overheads that didn't add to the presentation... not to mention the waste of money....

You don't have to use a powerpoint presentation system - sometimes it's better not to as you have to book it ahead of time and if it stuff's up you'll lose marks for not getting the presentation done.

I've gotten HD"s with just overheads... i never used powerpoint and i've never gotten lower than a D for tute presentations - so it's not necessarily better. it takes a lot more time and organisation.

Make sure you DON"T just reitterate the readings or lecture notes or seminar guide or whatever because you won't get a good mark - you need to be original. Get the class involved even if it's just by asking them questions here and there or give them a 5 minute activity to do - giving food as a 'reward' always helps as if you get stuck with a bunch of boring people they won't be likely to contribute, especially as in the 1st few weeks you probably don't know each other too well.

Make sure you know your stuff!!! Be prepared to be asked on the spot questions and have intelligent sounding answers up your sleeve.

Don't! just read what you have on the powerpoint/overhead - these slides should have minimal information - try to stick to bullet pointe, t ables, graphs, diagrams and rather than put up what you want to explain - use the diagram to show what the thing is and then explain it yourself.

If you have to do a handout - make sure it's concise but not too simplistic. DOn't pack the page/s full as if it's an essay - use dot points, headings, tables, put questions for students to consider, put references (if applicable) etc

And try not to sound like you're as bored as the rest oft he class probably are because these preentations can get a bit monotonous so if you seem motivated, tutor's tend to have a positive view of how your preentatino will go before you start:)

spillargroove

HSC
Make sure you DON"T just reitterate the readings or lecture notes or seminar guide or whatever because you won't get a good mark - you need to be original. Get the class involved even if it's just by asking them questions here and there or give them a 5 minute activity to do - giving food as a 'reward' always helps as if you get stuck with a bunch of boring people they won't be likely to contribute, especially as in the 1st few weeks you probably don't know each other too well.

Make sure you know your stuff!!! Be prepared to be asked on the spot questions and have intelligent sounding answers up your sleeve.

Don't! just read what you have on the powerpoint/overhead - these slides should have minimal information - try to stick to bullet pointe, t ables, graphs, diagrams and rather than put up what you want to explain - use the diagram to show what the thing is and then explain it yourself.
Well that's what I will be trying to be doing with the powerpoint. Keep it concise with diagrams or pictures or simple bullet points and I will be trying to explain it to the class myself face to face. Isn't this what lecturers also do? They look at the overhead and then explain it to the 150 students or whatever in the room?

I could also try to put main points in the powerpoint with diagrams and whatever and explain it in person to the class...?

kitty28

Great advice LaraB :)
This semester I'll be doing my first presentation after mid-semester for Professional Skills for Science and Technology. It has to be at least 12mins long and can be on any topic. PSST is basically about learning and developing communication skills (writing, listening, reading and speaking) in a professional environment, so the focus is mainly on how we present rather than just what we present.

spillargroove

HSC
I think one good point is from the basis of why I am doing the course so naturally I think in time when I do it, I will be prepared and speak what I really know. Right now at home, I can easily talk to myself and say whatever. I really want to actually do it but in front of the audience, I might have to think about a school teacher ive had whose funny or something to clear my mind.

I used to hate public speaking as well, at school. But there were times where we had to do class debates or assignment presentations and I began to feel confident. Just that this one is well, I guess what you call professional, or a "real" one.

spillargroove

HSC
Powerpoint would be very good although would I need a laptop or something? Hopefully the tutor can somehow or go to a room setup with a projector thing.

L

LaraB

spillargroove said:
Powerpoint would be very good although would I need a laptop or something? Hopefully the tutor can somehow or go to a room setup with a projector thing.
Thta's not how it works...

You need to book the powerpoint hardware with the IT people.. dunno exactly what their title is....

If there ar enone available on the day and time you h ave your presentation - you CANNOT use it.

YOU MUST check one is available and book it ASAP otherwise you will not be able to do your presentation and unavailability of hardware is not an excuse for an extension as you are meant to know beforehand so you'll just lose marks if you turn up on the day and can't do it.

I don't remember who exactly you contact to book it so ask your tutor/lecturer/seminar leader.

L

LaraB

natstar said:
When we have presentations, i bring my laptop, or someone in the group brings theirs. If someone does not have a laptop, they usually just bring a USB or a disk and put it in to the teachers laptop
Yes but (at least at parra) - you still need to book the projector.

You can bring your own laptop but you need the projector as well so unless you're in a large lecture room with a projector that you are allowed to use, you need to book the projector ahead of time with the IT people and most the rooms at parra don't have projectors already there that you can use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)