How to prepare for the clerkship season (1 Viewer)

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Just participating in a moot in not really worth mentioning, I wouldn't think.
From the HR reps I've spoken to, they appreciate your involvement even if you didn't win. Mine are just listed on a single line amongst other university stuff.

Camleigh

HSC
I have all my mooting opportunities on my resume both internal and external, win or lose. I figure if you write writtten submissions and/or oral submissions and moot why wouldn't you mention it.
I guess it can't HURT to mention it, all things considered :)

*jellz*

HSC
I think it also pays to give some thought as to the kind of generic sh#t that everyone else writes that adds no value, and cut it out. Resumes and CVs have cliches, just like other types of writing. One example that comes to mind is the "why I want to work for a mid-tier law firm" spiel. Stuff like "the opportunity to gain experience working with blue chip clients, but within an intimate working environment etc.". BLURGH. Take the time to literally google each firm you are applying for- and talk about specifics. Practice areas. High profile cases. It would only really take 30-40 minutes to jazz up a standard application and make it stand out from the rest. Considering how many applications these places receive, its either invest that extra effort and creativity or pretty much, don't bother.

Same applies when you are talking about your own skills. "Excellent oral and written communication skills"- wtf? Pretty much everyone doing a law degree should have those, but its amazing how many students just bullet point that and expect people to take their word for it. Think of an interesting or unusual way in which those skills have been demonstrated. And not just by "participating in the mooting competition"- again, they've seen that one a thousand times before. The key lies in the details.

*jellz*

HSC
BTW, I'm clerking at a disreptuable(!) bottom tier now so am hoping to do better as far as a clerkship goes....
Just out of curiosity- what makes you think the firm you are with now is disreputable? Is it just small/not very well known, or does it actually have a bad reputation?

avant

HSC
Just out of curiosity- what makes you think the firm you are with now is disreputable? Is it just small/not very well known, or does it actually have a bad reputation?
Yeah I was wondering that too.

Are you working at Keddies?

Clutz is actually top tier ;)

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A

Small doesn't mean disreputable. It's more the attitude of fee earners to clients and support staff that I have issue with. But it's all good experience.

*jellz*

HSC
Small doesn't mean disreputable. It's more the attitude of fee earners to clients and support staff that I have issue with. But it's all good experience.
I completely agree- I was only curious about what made you think the firm was disreputable. Personally I am a fan of a smaller working environment and would take mid-tier over top-tier any day.

Having any sort of commercial legal experience will always be useful- it also helps to have an ally who you can put down as a reference. Best of luck with your applications- when do they have to be in by?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you have a high distinction law average I guarantee you'll get enough interviews to make your heart sing and your dry cleaning bill very sad.
You're not supposed to dry clean a suit more than a couple of times a year...

Camleigh

HSC
Oh dear :(

What area of law are you planning on doing?

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
I got rejected so many times during the clerkship period I am used to it :(

Grad apps aren't looking too good either
Ahh Mel, we are in the same boat!

Just gotta soldier on and be persistent.

I think eventually we will score something. I'm still waiting to hear from the district court re my countless associateship applications - so far no word but no rejection letters so I suppose that is somewhat a positive sign.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Ahh Mel, we are in the same boat!

Just gotta soldier on and be persistent.

I think eventually we will score something. I'm still waiting to hear from the district court re my countless associateship applications - so far no word but no rejection letters so I suppose that is somewhat a positive sign.
I have been very persistent and will continue to do so even if it kills me...I have sent off 20-30 "keep me on file in case anything comes up" and as many law grad positions as I can find in acc firms, consulting firms and law firms...even some in Canberra although I'd prefer not to have to move....

Gd luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)