How to repair the damage of failing 6 subjects in 1.5 years (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Newbie said:
6 fails in a bcom is game over gg so i agree with the above
have you thought about alternate paths like tafe
I don't think it's necessarily gg (although likely); he should just consider whether uni's for him.

I also think that people should get over the 'uni is be-all and end-all' mentality, which leads to huge amounts of pressure for HSC leavers to go to uni blind.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Conspirocy said:
um if u dont want the fails on your transcript, transfer to another uni...and only bring accross the credit for the subjects you have passed.

that way it wont be on your transcript
Yep that's the suggestion I have in mind too. I would also recommend it strongly if you can get into other unis provided it is of similar standards.

Most of us have some good ideas but I get the feeling that changing your studying habits isn't going to change much.
Because
1. 6 subjects really mean you lack any commitment to study and it is difficult for any bad student to change that habit especially if you're a uni student. A middle school kid can do that much easier.
2. even if you do get full commitment and determination which I believe you can technically, you will still not get a good gpa if it's only 1.5 years left. A 5 year degree, maybe.
3. Just say if you do get 90+ for the the rest of your subject, employers may still prefer students that have more steady grades. Then again, I might be wrong on this one coz if you can get 90+ for your final year in commerce, you're a bit of a gun. Also for the fact that final year projects also depends on first year knowledge such as economics so you might prove you have caught up with those theories.
But I think if you can do really well with those 5 subjects you've failed, say 85+, you will have a good chance when you explain the situation to your employers if they ask during interviews.

Another crazy suggestion would be kissing some ass with those lectures that teach your failed units. Go up to them and explain your "made up situation" so they might remove those failed grades from the transcript, I mean whoever is responsible for the transcripts. I would suggest you do this after you've passed those units with good grades, then you might have some really good chance.

neway, GL with it.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
synthesized said:
i've failed 6 out of 12 subjects over the first 3 semesters of my BCom, including 2 subjects i repeated that i failed TWICE.

assuming that i'm allowed to continue on with the degree, and that i manage to pass the rest of my subjects (i'm doing a combined BCom/BFin so i have 5 semesters/2.5 years left), what are some things i should be doing to repair this massive anomaly in my academic transcript?

any advice on how i can fix this situation?
Forgot to add, you should change your mentality with your learning. You probably won't get better marks as much by studying harder as studying smarter.

Look at your unit curriculums and think of ways to exploit the content. Coz although you might study harder by doing more readings and note taking but you are not going to get better marks if those readings are irrelevant for the assignments and exams.

Btw, is that you in the pic coz those are some nice tits. :) and god you look like my ex :S. USE IT FOR YOUR OWN GOOD ON GUYS THAT ARE SMART SO THEY CAN HELP YOU OUT WITH ASSIGNMENTS.

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I don't think it's necessarily gg (although likely); he should just consider whether uni's for him.

I also think that people should get over the 'uni is be-all and end-all' mentality, which leads to huge amounts of pressure for HSC leavers to go to uni blind.
Hey man,
I didnt graduate or go uni, i feel after working for 3 years uni is 'be all and end all'. Hate to say it, but if you arent getting into trades, IT, or have special talents / OUTGOING personality , degree is a MUST.

As for myself, i will be going straight ahead for a degree after tafe or will take over my parents business in 5 years. :burn:

So kids reading this, YES uni is very important. Please dont waste 3 years of your time for nothing.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
the replies in this thread are great and have given me some good ideas. thanks.

i should mention that i work 30+ hour weeks almost every week, and i can count the number of lectures i went to this semester on my left hand. probably the main contributing factor lol.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
i might consider transfering to another uni, but i can't decide which option would have the better outcome: 1. continuing on at my current university (a 'prestigious' university) and graduating with a shit GPA, or 2. transfering to a 'sub-standard' university and graduating with (possibly) a better GPA?

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^Yeah, and taking only as credit the subjects you passed.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
synthesized said:
i might consider transfering to another uni, but i can't decide which option would have the better outcome: 1. continuing on at my current university (a 'prestigious' university) and graduating with a shit GPA, or 2. transfering to a 'sub-standard' university and graduating with (possibly) a better GPA?
The av is hawt but.

You seem like a generic high achiever (the prestigious uni comment) who submits to temptations of procrastination and generating lofty unattainable goals for oneself. I have that problem (intermittently) but i have great support from friends and family, so build strong relationships maybe?

Challenge your intrinsic stereotypes of what is means to 'succeed' in life, and self discovery gentle rosencrantz, will be found.

rozymisty

HSC
IT doesnt really matter what uni you get your degree from. As long as it meets the entry requirements to your chosen profession then thats the main thing. OH and that you passed everything and stuff.

vojnik

HSC
There might be many contributing factors to why one fails units at university. I'll just mention the obvious ones:

Motivation
Not enough time from work
Its just too hard!

Basically, if motivation is a factor, you need to really ask yourself if this is what you want to do for the next 3,4,5 years... if the answer is no, ask yourself what you would love doing for the next 3,4,5 years, then transfer to that course.
On the other hand, if you like what you are doing but are too lazy then you have two options; stay and put in your all or drop out..you cant be half arsed at uni. If you need help getting motivated, dont just think about the uni work, but watch a few movies you like, listen to some music you enjoy in your spare time that might motivate you, this helps me a lot.There are a lot of movies a person can watch that can change the way they think about life and motivation in general. I recommend watching something like Fight Club or Gattaca...I know this might sound silly, but people can get motivated overnight..you just need that spark. Fuck tacking life half arsed, spear tackle the cunt.

If you're not getting enough time from work, you need to make a choice between the two options. Part time/casual during uni is ok , but if youre in job that requires lots of hours per week then you need to make a choice; the job or the uni. You cant have both unfortunately.

If you think its too hard for you, then I think you should drop out of uni in my opinion. Nothing is too hard.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
from my experience.. transfer to an easier uni .. say UWS.. where they tend to mark easier for exams.. and also scaling students up.. so even if your raw mark was a fail.. ud probably pass..

thats how it was for me when i used to goto UWS...
i had great marks at UWS and never really studied.. except for the week b4 the exam.

then i transfered to UTS.. and now i have failed subjects under my belt.. which i knew i could of passed easily back at UWS.. bcoz here i actually try soo hard.. wanting to get Ds.. but i guess its harder here.. .. harder marking and harder exams. and also no scaling.. usually the mark u get is da mark u get..

now i just wanna graduate.. still have a chance to graduate with credit average.. but thats still screwed.. most likely need to do post graduate study later

sigh ^^

disorient

HSC
kols_kebabs said:
I thought if you passes a subject in a later semester, after failing it earlier, it would only be recorded as the pass, and the fail would be gone?

I thought you only got fails if you chose not to do the subject again before completing your degree?

nah, as far as I know, fails are permanently on your transcript irrespective of whether or not you decide to repeat the failed unit/s.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'm curious, several people here have mentioned transferring ... but how would the poster transfer with the marks from their university degree considering it is 50% fail so far?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)