• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to solve this vector question? (1 Viewer)

fabl

HSC
another aeroplane can travel at a speed of 240km/h when there's no wind. Today there's a wind velocity of -3i -7j km/h. The speed of the wind is 7.62 km/h.

Find the position vector required if the aeroplane is to end up due East of its starting position.

What would this look like in a diagram?

fabl

HSC
How to solve this vector problem?

another aeroplane can travel at a speed of 240km/h when there's no wind. Today there's a wind velocity of -3i -7j km/h. The speed of the wind is 7.62 km/h.

Find the position vector required if the aeroplane is to end up due East of its starting position.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Re: How to solve this vector problem?

do u know how to resolve a vector along othogonal directions? u resolve the velocity of the plane along positive x and positive y directions, find the component in positive y direction, this component needs to be equal to that of the wind, from which you can find the position vector of the plane

braintic

HSC
N/A

Don't you mean 'find the initial VELOCITY vector' ?

fabl

HSC
Plane travels at a speed of 240km/h when there's no wind. Today there's wind velocity

Plane travels at a speed of 240km/h when there's no wind. Today there's wind velocity of -3i -7j km/h. Speed of the wind is 7.62 km/h.

What is the working out of the position vector required if the pane is to end up due east of its starting position after 2 hours?

The Answer is : 486i + 14j ????

braintic

HSC
N/A
Re: Plane travels at a speed of 240km/h when there's no wind. Today there's wind velo

Plane travels at a speed of 240km/h when there's no wind. Today there's wind velocity of -3i -7j km/h. Speed of the wind is 7.62 km/h.

What is the working out of the position vector required if the pane is to end up due east of its starting position after 2 hours?

The Answer is : 486i + 14j ????
You asked this before, and it was moved because it doesn't belong in this thread.

Same answer as before: You mean the initial VELOCITY vector, not position vector.

Edit: Looks like they've merged the threads now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)