• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to start on EE2 (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Ok guys as some of you know I am taking up ext 2 and was considering doing a video as my intended medium i have reached such a somewhat final decision of a short story. Now i kind of have an idea and can relate it back to the syllabus with some thought. The questions are
  • what to do think of my idea?
    The exploration of the history of Cleopatra (or Pompeii) as expressed by natural forms and expressed by natures journey.
  • if you think it would work better as a short story, film, preformance poetry, speech or critical response?
Thank You in advanced
Marcquelle

Last edited:
HSC
research is always the best way do start on both the topic and mediums
that way you can make an informed decision

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Hmm quick question, What are you using as your link to the Eng adv or Ext course?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
my year 11 and 12 AOS of Journeys and Extension year 11 of teh appreciation of Cleopatra/Pompeii thoughout texts.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Oh, well our AOS for HSC 2009 is Belonging btw :D But, anyway. I plan to do video too =) Because, certain aspects of ideas are better portrayed through literature, as their meaning is open to individual interpretation. Where the multitude of descriptions, dialogue etc are suitable in terms of the idea beaing ambitious and broad - where a vast story is needed to convey your meaning. Alas, your idea, from the simplicty of it's tone, i would suggest video mate. It seems as if your concept is not one for a story but rather a visual aesthetic window of exploration - unless you determine a plot, i would avoid so much a short story, but focus on filming say natural scenery and events pertaining to nature in order to create a 6-8 minute video of delving into the themes and aspects of Cleopatra/Pompeii

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
well i did the hsc last year as well where Mine was Journeys and our year 11 AOS was journeys. And for extension we did dracula, but you don't have to a diffinate link, but i was also informed by my teacher that i might have to just link it to ext which you can do MODULE A: Genre
Elective 1: Life Writing,
due to it is a biography of Cleopatra or MODULE C: Language and Values
Elective 2: Language and Gender
due to how nature is often consider to be a femine icon rather then male.
but he said i'll have to link it to adv probally in which case it shall be MODULE A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context
Elective 1: Exploring Connections or Elective 2: Texts in Time.

i.e. an appropriation of the legend of Cleopatra/History of Pompeii.

Yeah thats what i was planning on doing but my Adv. Teacher says that it is a good concept and idea BUT a video will not get me marks as for it will not portray it how i essential wish it too. My Ext. Teahcer says it will be amazing and will be articiualted well. I want to do video but i don't know casue it will take up a lot of my time, and i will have 14U so i have to think of that aswell. i know that no matter what i do it will take on a lot of work, but a video requires a lot more dedication then a short story.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Hmm as it seems like your moving into a more expansive area, why not try critical response? Seems appropriate for an idea such as exploring the legend of Cleopatra or the History of Pompeii over time. Cause, your idea in your OP sounds really broad and almost vague, thus i can see you doing a critical response. But if you were planning a short story, what would it be about?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
it would be an appropriation about cleopatra brought in the contemporary context.

but i can actually think of a really good critical response now about with heaps of examples now, hmmmmmmmmmmm

ahhhhh so confused, video, critical response, short story or a critical response in the form of a video, or a short story to choices so much to choose from. ahhhhhhhhh

i might go with a critical response now but i don't know..... a big essay ahhhhhh that scares the crap out of me.

Video still speaks to me...

to much to choose from

what are you thinking of doing lololskates?

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Definately a video. I feel like i can communicate my personal idea better as a visual then an elaborate plot. But since i haven't done the HSC before like you, i'm not very clear on these links to the Adv and Ext course so i still have to talk to my teacher about it.
Haha anyway, i feel your angst though mate, choosing a medium, especially for your idea seems to be a hard choice. But i got to say, it will be hard doing a "critical response-esque" video though, you've only got 6-8 minutes - do you feel that is enough time for a critical response? But if you somehow connect perhaps, multiple perspectives which all in turn are interconnected and weaved together to reflect each significant portrayl or context surrounding the story of Cleopatra or Pompeii - then a short story might be in your favour, since you can continue on your already developed knowledge of the history and appropriations of the two legends AND you can create a diverse story, transcending the barriers of time! Multiple perspectives/ time frames all the way buddy!!! *aheM* Just a thought... haha.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lololskates said:
Definately a video. I feel like i can communicate my personal idea better as a visual then an elaborate plot. But since i haven't done the HSC before like you, i'm not very clear on these links to the Adv and Ext course so i still have to talk to my teacher about it.
Haha anyway, i feel your angst though mate, choosing a medium, especially for your idea seems to be a hard choice. But i got to say, it will be hard doing a "critical response-esque" video though, you've only got 6-8 minutes - do you feel that is enough time for a critical response? But if you somehow connect perhaps, multiple perspectives which all in turn are interconnected and weaved together to reflect each significant portrayl or context surrounding the story of Cleopatra or Pompeii - then a short story might be in your favour, since you can continue on your already developed knowledge of the history and appropriations of the two legends AND you can create a diverse story, transcending the barriers of time! Multiple perspectives/ time frames all the way buddy!!! *aheM* Just a thought... haha.
nah i can't be assed writing a story like that lols, nah i think i might do a critical response on the appropriations of the Legend of Cleopatra (analytical) so now i have to decide on visual medium as it says in page 136 of the English Syllabus
The Major Work – the Visual Medium Video
Students must present a videotape or DVD, which has a playing time of 6-8 minutes. The content of the video or DVD may be interpretive, imaginative or analytical or any combination of these.

so might continue with video but to an analytical one or just do a print medium one.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i have decided on either a short story with a different concept or a critical response. so i'm going to be working in the print medium cause i can't be bothered doing a video as for it will not be feasible time wise for me.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Well seems like you have made up your mind pal. Good luck. But i have a feeling your still unsure eh? :D Just a feeling. The only advice i can give, is make up your mind. Don't kinda do a half-assed job of one medium just incase you changed your mind to another one -- COMMIT to one i say. But taht's just me.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
nah, i have fully decided on a critical response as for i loved doing Mod.A last year comparative study of text and context, and i wanted to do comparative literature for a course (but then it was cancelled) and i really love ancient history stuff so i have fully decided on a critical analysis on the appropriations of Cleopatra or do do a critical analysis of Anthony and Cleopatra. but definately going to be Cleopatra and Critical Response wooooooooo happy finally made up my mind.

jules.09

HSC
Hey uhmm Marcquelle, if you're going to hunt for decent marks, yeah I think critical response is the way to go. I'm going to do a critical reponse myself.

But really, find whatever you have a passion for, and this history stuff about Pompeii, Cleopatra etc seems to tickle your fancy so go for it. :)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i am, i am certainly doing it, as for i love comparative literature and stuff and really wanted to do ancient history as a subject but couldn't get into as for the clas was full so, yeah, but i have always loved studying ancient history expecially, roman, greek and egyptian and Cleo allows me to incorporate this love into one topic (you got love her).

So yeah i am definately doing a critical response and have my topic all sorted. (i think i might do it in the form of a socratic dialogue)

I'm goign to love EE2 are you going to the AOS day and EE2 day in sydney when its on?

jules.09

HSC
marcquelle said:
i am, i am certainly doing it, as for i love comparative literature and stuff and really wanted to do ancient history as a subject but couldn't get into as for the clas was full so, yeah, but i have always loved studying ancient history expecially, roman, greek and egyptian and Cleo allows me to incorporate this love into one topic (you got love her).

So yeah i am definately doing a critical response and have my topic all sorted. (i think i might do it in the form of a socratic dialogue)

I'm goign to love EE2 are you going to the AOS day and EE2 day in sydney when its on?
Wow, I didn't even know that it existed, however I'm pretty sure my english teacher knows what he is doing. After he came to our school, our school average in english lifted phenomenally. Apparently from 89th to 13th in the state.

I don't usually go to open days much to be honest. But hey, if there's a link you can direct me to, that'd be nice. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)