How to State Rank PDHPE (1 Viewer)

I97

HSC
Hey guys, I’m Igor

HSC 2015
99.75 ATAR
98 in PDHPE and with that 3rd in the State!

PDHPE is one of the best subjects there is for the HSC as not only is it applicable to everyday life, it is one where hard work and dedication almost always guarantee high marks. But in order to achieve very high marks, there are some little specifics that need to be addressed alongside consistent dedication.
I’ll break this guide down into two main branches, mastering the content and perfecting exam and assessment technique. However the root of both branches is the SYLLABUS and is by far the most crucial element of this subject and pretty much any content heavy HSC subject.

Mastering the content

The content in PDHPE is not difficult, half of it is putting labels to common sense/things you probably know anyway; the hard part is that there is a LOT OF IT! One of the best approaches towards learning/understanding/memorising the content is taking the syllabus as a skeleton and really having it completely memorised/mentally photographed. Then the rest is just knowing the key content/stats/metalanguage relating to each part of the syllabus dash points.

Alongside the content, have CURRENT examples you can use to SUPPORT your answers. For the sporty half of the course like Core 2, it makes it even easier if you have a sporting background and can draw upon examples easily, however have a MIX of sporting examples to use. Markers sometimes specify for a “Range of examples” and so by having this it shows that you have a very wide content knowledge which = High marks. To keep up to date just read widely, there’s always something relevant to Core 1 being published almost daily in the newspaper

Then really the best way of mastering the content is doing past papers and questions. Doing practice MC is one of the best and easiest ways to do this as it isn’t as tiresome as actually answering written questions. Also, instead of answering full length questions, just annotating questions with a scaffold of how you would answer + annotations mentioned below is a great way to efficiently practice applying your knowledge.

Finally, as there is a lot of content, find the best way that works for you in having quick summaries. For some it may be mind-maps etc. Just do whatever works. There’s heaps of resources online like quizlet etc

Perfecting assessment/exam technique

Assessments:

School assessments are the easiest way to secure your marks throughout the year as you have all the time you need to perfect and edit them. START EARLY!!!!! Make plans, examine every word of the assessments and their criteria and just start a draft and keep editing it until you can’t flaw it.

Exams:

This is where all the prior stuff comes together. Approaching the exams is sort of like approaching a puzzle; you have to see what content/syllabus dot points fit where in the questions.

MULTIPLE CHOICE

Firstly Multiple Choice is probably the trickiest, take your time and read the questions CAREFULLY. Every word is crucial and there are always trick questions so beware. Also ONLY CHANGE IF YOU ARE 110% certain and can give a syllabus referenced justification as to why the other answers are incorrect OR not the most correct. Finally for MC, they allocate ~40 minutes for it. Really it should not take any longer than 15 minutes (20 max including re-checking once done) and so use that extra time later on to allow you to spend more time on the long responses especially the 12 markers in the options.

SHORT RESPONSES (3-8 marks on Core 1 & 2)

Then the short responses are all about the syllabus again so this is where having it memorised is crucial. One of the best approaches is reading it carefully, circling the key words as usual etc, and then annotating the question with the relevant syllabus dot points. This ensures you can begin structuring your answer already and that you are answering the relevant stuff. Also in case you run out of time or don’t fully answer the question, this stuff is also looked at and marks can be awarded to this too!

Again for these responses, this is where they will catch you out unless you have the syllabus FULLY MEMORISED. A perfect example is this year’s HSC, an 8 marker on the “Elements of Performance”, 1 tiny dash point in core 2 with its own sub dash points. Another one also in this same paper was the 8 marker in Improving Performance about “Amateur and Elite Athletes”, a very vague question wanting a SPECIFIC answer linked to a certain section of the syllabus. These caught many people off guard; however they really were just an easy 8 marks to those who recognised the syllabus terminology.

LONG RESPONSES (8-12 marks is the recent trend, Options)

Finally the option topics have a similar approach. However here you aren’t as restricted with space unlike the core so JUST KEEP WRITING! Minimum guidelines are around 2 pages (up to 15 minutes) for 8 markers, and 4 pages (up to 20 minutes) for the 12 marker.
As long as time is on your side, just keep pen to paper and write as much RELEVANT stuff as you can that answers the question. You can’t get marked down for incorrect stuff for PDHPE as it will just be overlooked, but everything is positively marked so just write.

FINALLY, I am also selling my notes as well, here is the link to the thread to find out more:

http://community.boredofstudies.org...tate-ranking-hsc-pdhpe-notes.html#post7099523

Resource Recommendations

- Cambridge Textbook + Cambridge Checkpoints (Checkpoints is probably the best summarised textbook out there perfect for revision)
- Outcomes 2
- PDHPE.net
- Coach PDHPE Phil Lucas YouTube Videos (Highly recommend them, especially for the option topics)
- My Notes

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Igor has been such a great mentor to me throughout Year 11 and now Year 12. It is a privilege for this community to have such an approachable, knowledgeable and devoted student to his studies, be able to share his great tips of success in this subject. His outstanding HSC mark in PDHPE is a testimony, reflecting his dedication and commitment to strive for success. I can vouch for all the tips in his guide, being able to place you into the path of achieving great successes in PDHPE. I would like to personally thank Igor for his time and effort into making this state ranking guide for PDHPE and invite students in high school picking/doing HSC PDHPE, to read this excellent guide, so they can have the opportunity to achieve great results just like Igor.

Last edited:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
I'm more curious about your kickarse score in chemistry! Any pointers?

I97

HSC
BUMP! Also selling my HSC PDHPE NOTES. ALL 4 Modules for only $10 AUD. For more info (including sample snippets of the notes) visit the thread i linked above and if you would like to discuss payment options (PREFERABLY PAYPAL) please send through a PM!!

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Any tips on how to progressively memorise the content throughout the year?

yao_jahang

HSC
does anyone have any advice on whether i should pick pdhpe or not? like what to expect and such?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)