how to state rank? (1 Viewer)

nerrrrd

HSC
what hsc marks should I be aiming for if I want to state rank in bio (and maybe chem)?

icycledough

HSC
Well, just to give you some numbers

Biology --> around 19,000 students for 2020 HSC; around 1300 Band 6s (so very competitive for Band 6)
Chemistry --> around 10,000 students for 2020 HSC; around 1300 Band 6s (bit easier, but still competitive)

So it's fair to say even getting a Band 6, let alone a state rank is extremely difficult. But essentially, you definitely need internals and externals of 95+ (as a bare minimum, probably closer to 97+)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
what hsc marks should I be aiming for if I want to state rank in bio (and maybe chem)?
Most years around a 97 is the minimum required for a state rank, but this may not guarantee one as there sometimes where people get the same mark but the state rank is only given to some of them. So to guarantee one it's probably more like 98

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

dasfas

HSC
you got 99 in your hsc chemistry. so did u come first in the state for that?
Hahah no, I messed up one assessment so I wasn't ranked first internally (which is typically required for state ranks).

Going off just trials/hsc exam it would've been either 1st or 2nd in the state though. The guy from my school who ranked 2nd in the state that year got the same mark in the external HSC, lower in trials, but higher overall.

quickoats

HSC
No, they then do tie breaking using decimals, or if they are the same to 2dp, they use other indicators, such as the overall quality of the answers, and even handwriting
lol yeh pretty sure my state rank came from handwriting too

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Mr.GreyCells said:
If you get a state rank then do you get a prize money?
I don't believe this is the case. What typically happens is that students who place first in a particular subject are invited to attend a ceremony where they receive a certificate that recognises their achievement. Otherwise, there are no financial benefits to achieving a state rank, irrespective of whether a student places first in one (or more) subjects, or whether they achieve a state rank altogether. If students were to be awarded a particular amount of money for achieving a state rank(s), NESA would have been clear in this regard and would have likely provided further detail in terms of such prizes on their website.

I hope this helps! :D

dannyo1

HSC
You get a lovely certicficate signed by Dominic Perottet. Aside from that... I guess you could put it on your LinkedIn?

satvik_1008

HSC
Mr.GreyCells said:
If you get a state rank then do you get a prize money?
no u dont. if you come first in the state however, you get a nice certificate and a phone call from either the premier, the head of nesa or the education minister.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)